Working with an old Elitebook 2730p

mtodoroff

6 posts in this topic

I recently re-installed windows 7 and ended up having an awful time finding drivers/fixes etc. It seemed that every time a windows update installed it broke something, then it turns out my .NET framework got messed up (by Windows update itself) and now after installing all my programs and putting my files back, I need to reinstall windows. So after days of trying to fin a solution to the generic "program stopped working error" which is common, but not common enough to actually have a solution to it. Usually most Windows problems are solved by - big surprise - a clean install of Windows.

I decided to see what would be involved for an install of OSX. I used to have a Macbook pro a long time ago and I've always loved Mac much more than windows. I bought the Elitebook of a friend for $100 because I do illustration and it was easier than using an external tablet. It just seems like its becoming harder and harder to maintain older computers running windows.

I read this article  and it interested me except the wireless doesn't work, the graphics card isn't recognized, and sleep mode is permenantly disabled. The latter is fine, but using the wifi is completly nessicary. No fixes seemed to be found as the article was from 2009. Instead of putting myself through more installation hell I thought I'd check with some experts about the best way to go about attempting an OSX installation on this PC, if its even possible. I read through a ton of Hankintosh articles and only the older Elitebooks seem to be covered. The poor little guy just might be too old.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Well first of all, let's have a look at the WiFi card and touchscreen.

What model is the WiFi card? It might be possible (if there is no wifi whitelist on the BIOS) to replace the card with a working one (although that would involve opening up the device if it doesn't have a removable back cover).

Is the touchscreen a USB device? You should be able to find that information in the device manager on windows. I suspect since the device is rather old, it will be USB. If so, you won't have a problem using its basic functions as OSX will recognise it as a generic HID pointing device.

If it is not USB, you might be out of luck for the moment. I don't know if there are any working touch screen drivers for OS X on other serial buses (I'm currently working on an I2C driver myself and so is touch-base if I'm not mistaken).

Also, just to kill three birds with one stone, what graphics card is it running?

Edit: just had a look at that article, touchscreen will obviously be fine.

I'm actually at work right now so I'd have to get back to you on the wifi specs. I do know the touchscreen is indeed HID and the graphics is Intel GMA 4500MHD. As for the wifi I looked at the generic specs online and got Intel Link 5100. Its most likely the same. I can verify later if needed. I do know there is an expansion slot on the side, I haven't any clue what would go in it though.

The idea of purchasing a new wifi card did not occur to me. I suppose if I'm able to get the install to work thats a good option, and if it doesn't I can always clean install back to Windows 7. I probably shouldn't even be running Windows 7 on that PC, but it came with Windows Vista which is just awful.

I wish Apple would release a tablet. There just isn't enough pressure sensitivity with the ipads to do what I need, plus I can't run the software on them. I have also been considering a Surface with an installation of OSX, but I don't know if thats possible or not.

I'm actually at work right now so I'd have to get back to you on the wifi specs. I do know the touchscreen is indeed HID and the graphics is Intel GMA 4500MHD. As for the wifi I looked at the generic specs online and got Intel Link 5100. Its most likely the same. I can verify later if needed. I do know there is an expansion slot on the side, I haven't any clue what would go in it though.

The idea of purchasing a new wifi card did not occur to me. I suppose if I'm able to get the install to work thats a good option, and if it doesn't I can always clean install back to Windows 7. I probably shouldn't even be running Windows 7 on that PC, but it came with Windows Vista which is just awful.

I wish Apple would release a tablet. There just isn't enough pressure sensitivity with the ipads to do what I need, plus I can't run the software on them. I have also been considering a Surface with an installation of OSX, but I don't know if thats possible or not.

Intel GMA 45000MHD never worked on osx86 unfortunately. The best you'll be able to get is full screen resolution (CI) but no graphics acceleration (QE). The wifi card also has never worked so you either need to replace it or use an external USB wifi.

I wouldn't really recommend trying to install OS X on the machine to be honest. Without graphics acceleration there really is no point because the machine will feel sluggish and unresponsive at the best of times and unusable at the worst. You could try your luck with Linux. The Linux kernel has much more support for your specs than OS X ever will.

Interesting. I've never used or even really looked into a Linux based system. Anything has to be better than this disaster of WIndows 7 I have installed now. I was trying to find some good resources on other tablet PCs that might house OSX but ther doesn't seem to be any good choices. I know it comes down to the fact that the OSX doesn't really support the touchscreen. I guess I should hop over to a Linux forum and see what options I have.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!