Pro Tools | First-It’s Pro Tools, It’s Free!

Allan

7 posts in this topic

Considering the huge learning curve Pro Tools has, I suppose it's nice they're making a free version... It's also interesting seeing them adopt Adobe's model. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. The main issue I see with the free version is that you only get to have 3 projects (stored in the cloud, not locally), any more than that you need to "buy." Also, I'm guessing it's not really free either because you probably still need an iLok. If you're hesitant to pay for a DAW I think Reaper (plus some plugins) is a better option.

I doubt iLok would be required for this. Would cut out a lot of people who would otherwise have tried it. The "3 track cloud storage only" limit is not only {censored} in the extreme but a worrying sign of how Avid want to monetise PT. This is a DAW, a work tool. Not a MMO or a iOS game. Maybe they're hoping that PT users are too invested already to jump ship, although I'm sure most will stick to PT11. Especially as PT12 halves the amount of instrument tracks.

If you're going to learn a DAW you'd be better off with Logic or Live. The only use for this would be to learn how to use PT.

Especially as PT12 halves the amount of instrument tracks.

Wait WHAT? As in all versions of PT? I'm still back and forth between PT10 and 11. I still need 10 for some stuff. Logic is my main DAW though and does 99% of what I need it to.