lapic_native Kernel Panic on HP laptop EVEN with CPUs=1!

buttcrap

34 posts in this topic

Let me start off by saying that I am willing to pay for some extra help if necessary. I love Yosemite and I've been struggling with this for a couple weekends, so if someone does a great job of helping out I can definitely recognize that via PayPal.

I have an HP DV6t-6100 with Insyde f1.b BIOS, i7 2820QM, Intel HD 3000 graphics and a Radeon HD 6770m 2gb on 16gb RAM and a hybrid 1tb drive partitioned 872gb Windows 7 / 128gb OS X Yosemite (hopefully).

I also have a 1920x1080 resolution screen that I don't care about getting working correctly, I just want to at least install.

I currently am attempting a ##### boot (so if I understand correctly, Chimera/Chameleon).

Previously, I've gotten as far as to run the installer in Yosemite Zone and even had a bootable Yosemite with -x and CPUs=1. I would go back to Yosemite Zone(at least I knew it could work) but for the life of me I cannot get the installer to run again. I can't get the bootloader to boot past the forward slash symbol in the upper left corner, and I don't know which version I had that was running. I've tried 3 out that I've found to each have different file sizes from various torrent networks and google searched - none of them work.

I get the bootloader to run - I select the USB drive of my four options to boot into, and using the boot flags -v, and CPUs=1 I get this screen here:

post-1457188-0-93854300-1421885759_thumb

Notice that I have a lapic_kernel panic, on an HP laptop, which is typical. But look at my boot flags!! I have CPUs=1 set. I normally use -x as well, but I forgot here and it creates the same message regardless. I have a quad core 

It's common knowledge that HP Laptops have local APIC issues, well documented, and there is already a KernelPatcher.dylib fix for the issue(shouts out to donovan6000? I think). Supposedly you can use CPUs=1 as a short term fix for the issue. Obviously this isn't the case for me. Regardless of the fact that CPUs=1 didn't resolve the issue in my case,  I tried to use KernelPatcher.dylib, installed it in the Extra/modules folder using TransMac, and after I did that I got even less far in the bootloader process.

I don't care about working audio, working high resolution graphics, or anything else. If I can get to barely crawl through the boot and install process and get to a functioning Finder window I will be 100% happy. I can do the rest of the playing around with kext files stuff later, right now I just want it to boot.

Aside from the KernelPatcher.dylib I threw into Extra/modules (and then took out) I am using a completely virgin copy of ##### on a 64gb SanDisk USB drive.  

My ##### options: 

Yosemite 10.10.1 downloaded from Mac App Store on a real copy of Yosemite

Laptop Support On

Legacy USB On (didn't think I would need this one but without it I can't seem to load Chimera)

I don't have a DSDT file, and I'm not sure if I need one. I've looked at tonymacs DSDT section and they have HP ProBook but that's the closest thing I could find - didn't seem like quite a good fit. Was I wrong?

My motherboard, as typical of Insyde f1.b, is locked. It is using BIOS.

The options I have from memory are..

Virtualization(enabled)

action keys(enabled) changes Fx keys to require holding fn+Fx key, don't think this matters

switchable graphics fixed/dynamic(set to fixed.) this controls how the dual graphics switch, all the guides I've read have said to stick with Fixed so I haven't experimented too much out side of this setting.

fan always on(disabled) I think this lets the fan turn off if the CPU is cool enough. Don't think this matters, but my fan doesn't turn off during bootloader anyways lol

My hard drive is a fusion 20gb flash 980gb HDD. I don't know how this correlates to the bootloader - I've tried dropssdt=yes a couple times but it doesn't seem to do anything different. But like I said I did get Yosemite Zone running ONCE but I cannot(and believe me I have tried) get it to run again. I am definitely doing something wrong. I'd like to stick with ##### if possible, but I'm open to whatever, I'm even going to buy a second USB stick in a couple days here to test out two easily.

SO right now KernelPatcher.dylib is not installed, but it can be in a second. LET ME KNOW if there is ANY more information I can provide, I will be happy too. I tried to put everything I could think of in here. I've seen videos and posts of people with my same model of laptop, DV6t-6100, running Yosemite(more commonly mavericks) showing off that they have like 99% of the laptop working, so I know it's possible, I just don't know how they got there. I would be ecstatic if I could get this working tonight. Any help is so, so appreciated.

You're spelling it wrong...

It is cpus=1, not CPUs=1.

Boot flags and kernel flags are case sensitive.

Hey this got me past the local APIC panic!!! Thank you SO much. Now I get a 'Still waiting for root device' message. I've attached a screenshot if it helps. I know from scouring these forums that it typically means that it doesn't have the drivers to read my USB boot.

To fix this, I tried to put GenericUSBXHCI (i found the file by googling 'GenericUSBXHCI and it was the first result) and after putting that into Extra/Extensions using TransMac.  After I did that and booted cpus=1 -v I just got a bunch of messages about GenericUSBXHCI not being found. So I tried cpus=1 -v and USBBusFix=Yes. It didn't seem to do anything different but I didn't take a screenshot.. I also tried it with lower case 'usbbusfix=yes'. Are boot flags always lower case? Either way it didn't seem to make any difference. I tried to throw -x in there and each time I did it booted to a black screen. Any clue why this would happen?

post-1457188-0-05849700-1421905455_thumb.jpg

Hey this got me past the local APIC panic!!! Thank you SO much. Now I get a 'Still waiting for root device' message. I've attached a screenshot if it helps. I know from scouring these forums that it typically means that it doesn't have the drivers to read my USB boot.

To fix this, I tried to put GenericUSBXHCI (i found the file by googling 'GenericUSBXHCI and it was the first result) and after putting that into Extra/Extensions using TransMac.  After I did that and booted cpus=1 -v I just got a bunch of messages about GenericUSBXHCI not being found. So I tried cpus=1 -v and USBBusFix=Yes. It didn't seem to do anything different but I didn't take a screenshot.. I also tried it with lower case 'usbbusfix=yes'. Are boot flags always lower case? Either way it didn't seem to make any difference. I tried to throw -x in there and each time I did it booted to a black screen. Any clue why this would happen?

It is USBBusFix=Yes...

Typically bootloader flags are CamelCased (eg. GraphicsEnabler, EthernetBuiltIn, SkipNvidiaGfx, etc), and kernel flags are lower case (kext-dev-mode, dart, darkwake, -v, -x, etc). I'm not certain that always holds true, but it seems like a general pattern. Some bootloader flags must be quoted because (crazy) they have spaces (eg. "Graphics Mode"=1920x1080x32).

You should try with a build of GenericUSBXHCI.kext appropriate for Yosemite, even though your problem appears to be a USB2 problem. My build of GenericUSBXHCI is built for Yosemite and older: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Generic-USB3.

You should also try different ports/sticks, and experiment with USB options in BIOS.

Thanks for all the help...

I don't know if I'm using that link you've provided correctly. I clicked 'download ZIP' on the right but I don't understand how to use the files inside... Are these ones not compiled?

I did however click the bitbucket link under 'Downloads' and Kext Wizard and I can now see the kext 'GenericUSBXHCI.kext' in System/Library/Extensions. It is not, however, under Extra/Extensions. Hope I'm doing that right.

With the above setup, and using bootflags -v cpus=1 I get this:

post-1457188-0-51317800-1421916805_thumb.jpg

In addition, when I booted with -v cpus=1 -x I got this:

post-1457188-0-53760900-1421916930_thumb.jpg

Lastly, when I used -v -x cpus=1 USBBusFix=1  get to a black screen. It seems that USBBusFix=Yes and -x conflict... It does appear to get just as far, but the text moves so fast I can't tell which area it gets caught up on.

It may be worth nothing that sometimes it seems to hang at [PCI Configuring] thing for around 3 minutes. I see there are some 'fixes' for it, but it appears to get past it. 

Trying to give you as much information as I don't have the same understanding of this stuff as you guys. My laptop has both USB 3.0 ports and USB 2.0. I've been sticking with the USB 2.0 as I've seen some posts that say that you always should, but I've been playing around on each and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Maybe the USB 3.0 are only being used to the potential of 2.0 because of -x.

Working on getting another USB drive in the coming days. My BIOS has no settings for USB aside from boot order :( But like I said Yosemite Zone did reach post installation one time, and this was using the same drive! So there's gotta be a way. I reformatted the drive and started over after a bad text install broke the boot process. This was before I knew about -f of course... Still kicking myself for that one.

Hey RehabMan, thanks for your continued support. Where can I donate to your cause? I'm a web developer ( promise I'm much better at web stuff than boot loader stuff) and I'd be willing to buy you a domain and I'll even host it for you if you'd like. Definitely understand not wanting to host a site with a stranger you met on insanelymac forums, but the offers on the table. if that doesn't work out I'd like to send you some PayPal money. I see your name constantly looking through various forums and you're the author of a good chunk of kexts that get me even this far. I definitely want to acknowledge the awesome effort you put into this community. Please, let me know how I can help you.

Anyways, it seems to get farther in the boot process now and I can see that it's loaded the voodooPS2 stuff. I've attached a screenshot, but I'm still seeing that GenericUSBHXCI may have had an issue loading. I've put it into both E/E and S/L/E because I was unsure of which one to select, but either way it seems to produce the same result. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I'm also repairing the permissions and rebuilding both E/E and S/L/E with Kext Wizard each time I make a change to the respective folder. it sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do here. What do you think, could it be related to the issue? What else could I try?

Again, you are doing a killer job. Thank you - it is definitely appreciated.

Looks like my screenshot didn't come through - tried it on an iPhone. This time it should:

post-1457188-0-55021500-1422061214_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps.

buttcrap

Hey i have similar laptop with almost Same config following that Error Still waiting for Root device is because of ur USB is stop reading it so i would suggest you to use USB 2.0 For Installation and use Lapic Fixed Kernel to avoid  LocalACPI error thanks to crazybirdy

and i agree with Rehabman its cpus=1 not CPUs=1 and i provide a my IOUSBFamily kext which is best for me 

Lapic Kernel

IOUSBFamily.kext.zip

Killer! Thanks guys, I think that issues taken care of. Maverick I've seen your thread before! I was thinking of trying to contact you so I'm glad youre in this thread, your DV6 is perfect.

Did you run into a issue with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement ? here's a screenshot..post-1457188-0-83050100-1422088589_thumb.jpg

That's when I use just cpus=1.

if I do this in safe mode(-x cpus=1) I think the boot process gets farther but it's honestly tough to tell because the screen flashes and goes black instead of showing a panic or anything. I took a video and then screenshotted the video, so the quality isn't the best but here's the absolute last text to display before it goes dark

post-1457188-0-92908900-1422088942_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions?

something I should have added: I do have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

I tried your NullCPUPowerManagement.kext but I get the same result Maverick

If you boot with Nullpower then add C-state and P-State on Org.Chameleon.Boot.Plist 

On Original BIOS Nullpower+C-state+P-state is needed and USB 2.0 for installation 

I would recommend you to flash your BIOS with Donovan6000 to avoid getting Kernel Panic and using that u can use Native power management 

1st image where u got stuck AGPM u need to use C-state and P-State on Org.Chameleon.Boot.Plist

2nd image  AICPM need Nullpower+FakeSMC

I think i have explained here already 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/289883-hp-laptop-dv6-6xxx-dv7-6xxx-os-x-109-mavericks-and-1010-yosemite/

if I do this in safe mode(-x cpus=1) I think the boot process gets farther but it's honestly tough to tell because the screen flashes and goes black instead of showing a panic or anything. I took a video and then screenshotted the video, so the quality isn't the best but here's the absolute last text to display before it goes dark

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Any suggestions?

something I should have added: I do have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

You're getting RCX=0xE2 panic from AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. You need patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (boot without caches -f), or patched BIOS to avoid locking CPU MSR 0xE2.

You should probably find/read a guide on native power management. There are many such guides.

are you using the kext-dev-mode=1 flag it's one of the flags RehabMan lists on post 5? maybe yosemite is rejecting your kexts from cache.

I use Clover and i don't use kext-dev-mode=1 just use slide=0 

Ok, when I boot with just cpus=1 I get the same error about GenericUSBHXCI.kext not being loaded and that it failed to find IOUSBFamily.

Both of these Kexts are in my Extras/Extension folder.

I looked at USB options in my newly unlocked BIOS, but only found the option to turn legacy on/off. the rest seemed to all disable the usb from being powered altogether, booting straight into Windows.

Not sure what else to try.. I do have more options open for different boot loaders now that I can turn USB legacy on/off

Ok, when I boot with just cpus=1 I get the same error about GenericUSBHXCI.kext not being loaded and that it failed to find IOUSBFamily.

Both of these Kexts are in my Extras/Extension folder.

I looked at USB options in my newly unlocked BIOS, but only found the option to turn legacy on/off. the rest seemed to all disable the usb from being powered altogether, booting straight into Windows.

Not sure what else to try.. I do have more options open for different boot loaders now that I can turn USB legacy on/off

As i told you before USE USB 2.0 Port instead of USB 3.0 Port

to avoid trouble make a USB installer using Unibesast and rename the kernel to mach_kernel and boot with "-v cpus=1" and install it once u successfully install change the kernel with lapic fix kernel crazybirdy

and i remind again i have already simplified the way of installation 

http://www.insanelym...-1010-yosemite/

Hey guys! Just used Donovan6000's unlocked sp55068 bios, seems to be working great. What settings should I use for my BIOS?

Goto BIOS and 

Advance Features=>Graphics=>Special Feature=>Disable 

and when I boot with -x as well the screen eventually flashes and turns black. also maverick I added the c state and p state stuff to my org.chameleon.boot.plist like you recommended. ask I forgot to add that I also disabled MSR in my bios, to get the iousbfamily issue again

and when I boot with -x as well the screen eventually flashes and turns black. also maverick I added the c state and p state stuff to my org.chameleon.boot.plist like you recommended. ask I forgot to add that I also disabled MSR in my bios, to get the iousbfamily issue again

NO NEED to BOOT WITH -x and do not turn off MSR i won't recommend you to do that donovan6000 bios is great no need any kind a changes accept turn OFF ATI for battery Performance    

Just try [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]                 

Hey Maverick, missed your post last night somehow. I am using USB 2.0!! that's the right side of the dv6. I'll try turning off special feature, I did see that option. this BIOS rules! seems very stable.

I did use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to make this usb bootloader, can I just rename it now?

Hey Maverick, missed your post last night somehow. I am using USB 2.0!! that's the right side of the dv6. I'll try turning off special feature, I did see that option. this BIOS rules! seems very stable.

I did use ##### to make this usb bootloader, can I just rename it now?

Simply rename mach_kernel to kernel on Org.Chameleon.Boot.Plist of USB ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url])

kernel not found when I tried.. renaming to kernel

Hey guys it does boot with -x, I just have to use HDMI.

when I boot with just cpus=1 I get this attached pic. I'm curious why would genericusbhxci only cause issues in normal boot, does this indicate another kext interfering?

thanks for all your help!!!post-1457188-0-37134800-1422789320_thumb.jpg