Fix my HP! Just a few random DSDT-edits to improve your HacMac experience.

proteinshake

56 posts in this topic

Okay here we go - over the past month I've been parting from Dell to HP Workstations. Dell has always given me a very hard time to set up and their DSDTs always left me: hmm, what a mess. It would never fully work.

If you check out HPs line of workstations on eBay you'll find them dirt cheap and in fact they are (almost) to good to be true for the purpose of turning them into a HackMac - but there are some serious show stoppers on the way. Let's see what we got here for example:

Processor (\_PR.CPU0, 0x01, 0x0000F810, 0x06) {}

Processor (\_PR.CPU1, 0x02, 0x0000F810, 0x06) {}
    Processor (\_PR.CPU2, 0x03, 0x0000F810, 0x06) {}

okay, this is BS. Darwin Kernel will crash on you so badly, you won't even know what happened! Seriously. 
Turn this into:

Scope (_PR_)
{
Processor (CPU0, 0x01, 0x0000F810, 0x06) {}
Processor (CPU1, 0x02, 0x0000F810, 0x06) {}
Processor (CPU2, 0x03, 0x0000F810, 0x06) {}
}

And you will have taken the first big step towards a fun workstation running OS X.
Another huge problem starts with HP's Z400-Z800 line - though they come with a ICH10R chipset HP BIOS will only let you switch between AHCI+RAID and IDE mode. AHCI+RAID mode meaning it will not be seen in AHCI mode, but RAID mode.

00:1f.2 RAID bus controller [0104]: Intel Corporation 82801 SATA RAID Controller [8086:2822]

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:1309]

So if you wanted to boot off your HP Workstation but it somehow couldn't see your HDD - thank HP for it.

BUT ... a little DSDT editing can get you around that problem. First, you need to actually add a Device for 00:1f.02 (SATA) within PCI0:

Device (SATA)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001F0002)
                OperationRegion (SACR, PCI_Config, 0x90, One)
                Field (SACR, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                {
                    MODE,   8

}
             }

Notice the operation region SACR? (I've chosen to name it that, but it really doesn't matter - you can call it whatever you want). That's what we need to make the magic happen. Let's have a look at the ICH10 Data Sheet:

MAP—Address Map Register (SATA–D31:F2)

Address Offset: 90h Attribute: R/W, R/WO Default Value: 0000h Size: 16 bits Function Level Reset: No (Bits 7:5 and 13:8 only)

SATA Controller Registers (D31:F2)

Bits

Description

15:14

Reserved

13:8

Reserved

7:6

SATA Mode Select (SMS) — R/W. SW programs these bits to control the mode in

which the SATA Controller should operate:

00b = IDE mode 01b = AHCI mode 10b = RAID mode 11b = Reserved

NOTES:

1. The SATA Function Device ID will change based on the value of this register.

2. When switching from AHCI or RAID mode to IDE mode, a 2 port SATA controller

(Device 31, Function 5) will be enabled.

3. AHCI mode may only be selected when MV = 00

4. RAID mode may only be selected when MV = 00

5. Programming these bits with values that are invalid (e.g. selecting RAID when in

combined mode) will result in indeterministic behavior by the HW

6. SW shall not manipulate SMS during runtime operation; i.e. the OS will not do

this. The BIOS may choose to switch from one mode to another during POST.

These bits are not reset by Function Level Reset.

SATA Port-to-Controller Configuration (SC) — R/W. This bit changes the number of SATA ports available within each SATA Controller.

0 = Up to 4 SATA ports are available for Controller 1 (Device 31 Function 2) with ports [3:0] and up to 2 SATA ports are available for Controller 2 (Device 31 Function 5) with ports [5:4].

1 = Up to 6 SATA ports are available for Controller 1 (Device 31 Function 2) with ports [5:0] and no SATA ports are available for Controller 2 (Device 31 Function 5).

NOTE: This bit should be set to 1 only in AHCI mode. This bit is not reset by Function Level Reset.

4:2

Reserved.

1:0

Map Value (MV) — RO. Reserved 

Cool. R/W means we can override SATA Mode Select (SMS) - add this Method close to either Method _WAK or _PTS:

Method (PINI, 0, NotSerialized) // For PCI0/Wake INI
    {
        Store (0x60, \_SB.PCI0.SATA.MODE) // Force SATA in 6-Port AHCI mode
    }

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
    {

Method (PINI) needs to be called on every boot and wake, so add this to your Method _INI within PCI0:

Device (PCI0)
        {
             Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)
            {

PINI ()

Add this to your Method _WAK:

Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)

{
        PINI ()

Let's lspci again, shall we?

sam$ lspci -s 00:1f.02 -v

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SATA AHCI Controller (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 130a

Done. OS X will now be able to actually see your drives connected to the internal SATA ports and work with them. 

Credits go THe KiNG ( I've picked up a lot from his guides) .. and all the other big brains out there doing a really, really amazing work. I admire you guys - thank you everyone.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Hi proteinshake!

I'm actually patching a HP Z400 DSDT. There's no "Method (_INI)" directly within PCI0. However, that Method is present in _SB.NHL1, _SB.WMID, _SB and _SB.PCI0. Should I add PINI() to all of them? (for now, I've added "PINI ()" only in the 2 last ones listed below and will soon test results if my DSDT compiles once my mods are completed.)

Here's what the 4 of them look like:

[bEG : _SB.NHL1]

Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)  // _INI: Initialize
            {
                Store (ShiftRight (PEXS, 0x14), Local0)
                Decrement (Local0)
                Store (Local0, MXBS)
            }

[END : _SB.NHL1]

[bEG : _SB.WMID]

{
                CreateByteField (_WDG, 0x8A, WDG1)
                Add (WSTC, WTIC, Local0)
                Store (Local0, WDG1)
                CreateByteField (_WDG, 0x9E, WDG2)
                Add (WINC, WIEC, Local0)
                Store (Local0, WDG2)
                CreateByteField (_WDG, 0xB2, WDG3)
                Add (WENC, WEEC, Local0)
                Store (Local0, WDG3)
                CreateByteField (_WDG, 0x3A, WDG4)
                Store (WLIC, WDG4)
            }
[END : _SB.WMID]

[bEG : _SB]

Scope (_SB)
    {
        {
            MSCI ()
            OSFG ()
        }
    }

[END : _SB]

[bEG : _SB.PCI0]

Scope (_SB.PCI0)
    {
        {
            If (LNot (OSFS))
            {
                MSCI ()
                OSFG ()
            }
        }
    }

[END : _SB.PCI0]

Also, in that last one, should I remove that "If" condition?

Thanks & Regards

@zhangtemplar

I'm working on it, it's way too buggy at the moment, but will share it soon. I'm really not convinced it would be a good idea to use it as is on another machine than a Z400 though, unless you're going to use it along with the original I'll share too to compare both and adapt the patches to your generated DSDT.

Regards

@zhangtemplar

I'm working on it, it's way too buggy at the moment, but will share it soon. I'm really not convinced it would be a good idea to use it as is on another machine than a Z400 though, unless you're going to use it along with the original I'll share too to compare both and adapt the patches to your generated DSDT.

Regards

Of course adapting is the only way to do it between machine models hell even the same model with different BIOS it could/would be needed. I am curious what machine definition are you using and how is your power management for the processors working? My z800 arrives tomorrow according to FedEX and I will be applying your two examples to its dsdt once I get an acpidump from a Linux install, although from what I have read the ahci may not be need with the latest BIOS for it as it is supposed to give an AHCI only option to the machine.

I cannot get to the OS X installation screen, the loader crashes loading.  I have 1x 5520 Xeon, 12 gigs of RAM (all from dell c6100 node).  Tried patching my DSDT but the guide in this post is unclear to me (I don't have much experience with DSDT). "proteinshake" doesn't answer my messages.

Anyone can post their DSDT for me to try?  Thanx!

Thanx!

It's not working for me.  

I see you did not include the changes mentioned in the post.  What CPU and Bios version do you use?

From that compared to mine with the 3.57 BIOS I put on it looks so close to identical it is not funny. Other than the One - 0x01, Zero - 0X00 diffs and the added sections for the Devices I can't see any real differences. Even with the DSDT provided you need the NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext, the LSI_1091 files in the topic below and of course FakeSMC.kext installed to boot. That is it only took me a week to track the magic combination down just got it done few hours ago...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301796-need-help-for-z800-yosemite-installation/?p=2085511

Edit: Oh and I used Chameleon v2700 boot loader with a MacPro5,1 system definition.

Edit2: That is for Mavericks no clue on 10.10, Mountain Lion which I installed yesterday just for the hell of it only needs the null and fakesmc. Strange thing is Mavericks would boot about every four or five times I tried without them LSI files, what a damn frustration week of BS it was..

From that compared to mine with the 3.57 BIOS I put on it looks so close to identical it is not funny. Other than the One - 0x01, Zero - 0X00 diffs and the added sections for the Devices I can't see any real differences. Even with the DSDT provided you need the NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext, the LSI_1091 files in the topic below and of course FakeSMC.kext installed to boot. That is it only took me a week to track the magic combination down just got it done few hours ago...

I have an older version of this motherboard.  I got mine (ver. 2) updated to 3.57, but it was not meant for this MB - only 1.7 support.  Ver. 1 & 2 MBs have big issues with your E5640 CPU. I will try your suggestions and see what works.

Before buying this thing I checked install  guides (I guess all of them were for ver.3) and concluded this is an easy install, just like my dell c6100 node.  This turned out to be a nightmare...

Edit:  Are you able to boot into OS X installation without any modifications?

I have an older version of this motherboard.  I got mine (ver. 2) updated to 3.57, but it was not meant for this MB - only 1.7 support.  Ver. 1 & 2 MBs have big issues with your E5640 CPU. I will try your suggestions and see what works.

Before buying this thing I checked install  guides (I guess all of them were for ver.3) and concluded this is an easy install, just like my dell c6100 node.  This turned out to be a nightmare...

Edit:  Are you able to boot into OS X installation without any modifications?

Only tried the Mountain Lion installer needed a -x for that one until I could get the null installed for the kernel panic from the intelcpupowermanagement. I was thinking nightmare myself until I found the files I linked to. Here is an idea for you which is what I did knowing that all I really needed for the ML was the fakesmc and null I cloned my install of 10.9.5 the put the files in that lsi package on the system the .kext from the system for 10.9.1 not the fakesmc that was on it although you can use that as well. Booted the external usb with the Chameleon v2700 installed to it plus the OS with the smbios set to MP5,1 used a -f at the chameleon prompt to force the reloading of every .kext and it fired right up.

Give that a try this way you get to keep all your installed software only really have to change the computer name in the Sharing so you do not get a stupid System Name (2) in there and you would want to disable Time Machine if using it so it does not error out on not finding the disk. You could also install the HD in your current machine clone to it then put back into z800 now I have the cables switched to the SAS controller the white ports you see under the black the trays are by default hooked up to with the BIOS setting for it set to enabled and the loading the raid part of it disabled the second setting in there for it. You want the controller for the ICH ports set to RAID + AHCI  not IDE. The setting in there for the turbos boost enhanced however it is worded set to disabled this is second option there the first is fine to have enabled, the second kills a boot no problem the speed stepping works fine like this without any need for generating the c, p-states. The SAS enabled slows down the booting while it loads and scans the bus but it works reliably never got it to boot properly set to the blacks ports I had it set to the white with the ML and never have thought about messing with it anymore to even see if they work a week of foolishness was enough for me on that front. As far as I can tell in my testing everything including sleep/wake works great the audio is running via the voodoohda2.8.5MAV package you can find on here worked with it in the ML as well. Don't think I have left anything out keep at it you should be able to get it done with the lsi files.

This is from hp z800

Hi Rockey12,

Would you also upload your original un-patched DSDT (the one generated using Ubuntu, for instance) as I'd like to make a diff and compare with mine. I'll do the same in the upcoming days so that we all get a more stable workstation.

---

Hi all,

I'll be working on the Z400 again from Monday to Friday, so I'll be able to post more feedback about my experimentations.

For the moment, the main thing I failed is to avoid using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, as I get a kernel panic. If any of you knows what to patch to fix that, please let me know, I'd be grateful to have full power management features.

Else, I still couldn't get sound working by patching AppleHDA for Realtek ALC262 (I've posted a patch request, but no reply as of yet, here : ), but I have it somehow working using VoodooHDA (will post more info later on).

Are Z600 and Z800 workstations using the same audio chipset?

Regards,

chatdeau

Here is mine only with the errors eliminated so it would re-complie the 0x0000000 to 0x0000001 as it was complaining about it needing a value in there and that is the solution I found Googling on the error.

Edit: Now I re-read your post what are the problems with the power management you do not see the speed changing in the Hardware Monitor app? Even with the null installed I still seen that and I just found the Piker Alpha ssdtPRGEN will do an ssdt for these boards if you get the new Beta 14.7 I think it is version where you can make a custom model got me an extra 500 on a Geekbench using it..

https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/issues/80

dsdt-z800.aml.zip

currently i'm on 10.9.5 without nullcpupowermanagement
i'm using one from tony patched applecpupowermanagement kext with patched dsdt i have allso patched the AppleHDA.kext but no sound i don,t have much info about but i think something is wrong with Platforms.xml

I just got it working without the null by using the patch in the thread below, don't think I am liking it too much though I only get a 20x multiplier with it patched instead of the 21x I see using the null as a result my geekbench drops the 500 gain I got with it and the ssdt.aml I am using may switch back. The sound works as I have mentioned already with the voodoohda-2.8.5MAV you can find on here you will want the hda disabler as well.

MacUser2525:~$ kextstat |grep ACPI_SMC

84    0 0xffffff7f810ed000 0x10000    0x10000    com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin (1.0.0) <83 82 81 11 10 7 6 5 4 3>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 19:17:25

MacUser2525:~$ kextstat |grep LPC

54    0 0xffffff7f8253e000 0xd000     0xd000     org.hwsensors.driver.LPCSensors (1655) <19 11 10 7 5 4 3>

89    0 0xffffff7f8185f000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (1.7.0) <82 11 5 4 3>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 19:17:31

MacUser2525:~$ kextstat |grep AppleIntel

18    0 0xffffff7f818ad000 0x2b000    0x2b000    com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (217.92.1) <7 6 5 4 3 1>

26    0 0xffffff7f818a8000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient (217.92.1) <7 6 5 4 3 1>

MacUser2525:~$ ll /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext

total 0

drwxr-xr-x  5 root  wheel   170B 18 Jul  2014 Contents/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 19:31:04

MacUser2525:~$ ll /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDADisabler.kext

total 0

drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel   136B 19 Jul  2014 Contents/

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295587-power-management-for-sandyivy-bridgehaswell-cpus/

Edit: Switching back results in a geekbench of ~16400 vs ~15500 so a gain of ~900 enough of the Apple way of doing it...

Edit2: Just found this page below last night I changed all the LPCB in the file that was uploaded here to just LPC it compiled without error and in the Device (SATA) added the fakeid so the ICH10 controller is now seen as real mac esb2 in System Profiler. This got rid of an excess ICH10 that showed as driver not loaded just may have to try hooking the DVD burner back to them ports for the hell of it to free up slot on my SATAIII controler card I use to boot off with my SSD. Changed part below.

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x08)

{

"device_type",

Buffer (0x10)

{

"AHCI Controller"

},

"model",

Buffer (0x1D)

{

"ICH10-R SATA/AHCI Controller"

},

"name",

Buffer (0x2D)

{

"Intel Corporation 82801 SATA RAID Controller"

},

"device-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x81  , 0x26  , 0x00  , 0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

Changed the Int ? to Port ? in that section as well probably should have went with Slot instead as that is how it is labeled in/on a real mac.

{

Store (Package (0x02)

{

"io-device-location",

Buffer (0x07)

{

"Port 6"

}

}, Local0)

Return (Local0)

}

https://www.root86.com/topic/6962-hp-z600-x5650-installation/page-9

Still cannot get a Scope _PR in there if someone could/would post working example or at least one with the context of the rest of the information around it so I can know how to make the mod that will be great. No one ever shows the info around it and that page will not let me download without registering.

Rockey12

Bitte teste diese erste Version einmal!

AppleHDA ALC262 für HP Z800 für Yosemite

Layout-ID ist 1

HPET und LPC sollte ok sein in der DSDT und geladen werden, da es sonst oft Probleme mit HDA´s gibt.

lösche VoodooHDA und HDADisnabler

Da ich es nicht testen kann, mache bitte Screenshots, was geht und was nicht!

Please test this first version again!

AppleHDA ALC262 for HP Z800 for Yosemite

Layout ID is 1

HPET and LPC should be ok in the DSDT and loaded, otherwise often problems with HDA's.

delete VoodooHDA and HDADisnabler

Since I can not test it, please take screenshots of what works and what does not!
Device (HDEF)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x08)
                        {
                            "built-in", 
                            Buffer (One)
                            {
                                0x00
                            }, 
                            "layout-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00       <<<<<<<--------------------------- Layout-ID 1
                            }, 
                            "PinConfigurations", 
                            Buffer (Zero) {}, 
                            "hda-gfx", 
                            Buffer (0x0A)
                            {
                                "onboard-1"
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    Return (Local0)
                }
            }

Edit: 2_Test is output with switch

AppleHDA_Yosemite_ALC262_HP_Z800_erster_Test.kext.zip

AppleHDA_Yosemite_ALC262_HP_Z800_2_Test.kext.zip

For 10.9.5 I have the original (vanilla) AppleHDA no longer.

Me as well I know it was messed with when trying the Toleda (spelling perhaps wrong) method on my z87 board that I use the Voodoo on now and I have no clue whether it was overwitten on an update in the mean time. Would an extraction with Pacifist from the Install OS X Mavericks.app get it? I have both of them laying around on my machine. Also if I get it would you be willing to give it a go on the patching?

macuser2525

sorry, my English is not so good.
If I have to patch something for Z87, then I need codec_dump and vanilla AppleHDA 10.9.5. Then I can try it very much.

It is me who should be apologizing your English seems fine and I was not clear in that post I am talking about the z800. I am typing this from a mac mini I just installed Mavericks on and have just updated to 10.9.5 I am attaching that .kext to this post. I made clone copy of the fresh install so I can boot that on the z800 and upgrade the install to 10.9.5 just so I can confirm the .kext I need to boot it on a vanilla fresh install in case I ever need to do that. Now I am thinking you already have codec dump for that since you posted Yosemite HDA here but if necessary I can do whatever is needed to get a proper dump for you. I have read in the past on people doing this used live linux stick to get it from the /proc/asound in there command line example would be nice to have for what you want/need to do it. Hell I will even install windows 7 on it to get you what you need I have spare hard drives laying around to do it on if that will get you better dump. Either way let me know what you need and thanks for the offer to do the patching.

Edit: Should add this is the HDEF in the DSDT that is being used right now that gives me sound out of the headphones jack using the VoodoHDA never tested the rear port but it is listed in the Preferences as being there.

Device (HDEF)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x0C)
                        {
                            "CodecAddressMask",
                            Buffer (One)
                            {
                                 0x01
                            },

"device-id",
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                 0x3E, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
                            },

"MaximumBootBeepVolume",
                            Buffer (One)
                            {
                                 0x40
                            },

"layout-id",
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                 0x1C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                            },

"PinConfigurations",
                            Buffer (Zero) {},
                            "platformFamily",
                            Buffer (One)
                            {
                                 0x00
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    Return (Local0)
                }
            }

Let me know if any changes would need to be made there for your patching to work.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

ok, so long as the system is not working properly, it will not go with the AppleHDA.

The DSDT must be ok. HPET and LPC must be loaded.
Then many test's are needed to find the right nodes. It is not simply because I can not test yourself.
I always make small changes to the nodes operate until all connections.
I have to test even loaded a first version for 10.9.5.

So, here is the first test of 10.9.5

delete VoodooHDA and AppleHDADisnabler

Layout-ID is 1

DSDT HDEF:

"layout-id", 

Buffer (0x04)
 {
0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
 },

Ok tested with only the layout changed from the 1C in the snippet I posted to 1 I see about 6-8 sound assertions when it boots and this in the audio section once in the desktop. I have a System Output listed but not selectable in VLC so no output as far as I can tell. Thanks for the file to test.

post-177709-0-23146300-1434823498_thumb.png

Here's a version with LineOut back and LineIn back. These nodes should definitely go.

You can also try it yourself. This goes even faster.
The Binary patch of HDA's is already finished.
The PinConfig is also ok.
You have only the nodes in the platform.xml test and see.

input nodes:
Mic (front) test with 7 36 25
Mic (back) test with 9 34 24
LineIn (back) test with 8 35 26

output nodes:
LineOut (back) is definitely 21 12 2
Headphone (front) test with 27 12 2 or 27 13 3

AppleHDA.kext_Z800_10.9.5_002.zip

It looks a bit after VoodooHDA?

The Z800 ALC262 and my Esprimo are almost the same. Only the output nodes are probably different. With a little patience, we get it to work safely.

That's the goal. see pictures

Here are two versions for testing and one Version for 10.9.5

post-1358580-0-49598000-1434910586_thumb.png

post-1358580-0-10301300-1434910587_thumb.png

AppleHDA_Yosemite_ALC262_HP_Z800_003.zip

AppleHDA_Yosemite_ALC262_HP_Z800_004.zip

AppleHDA.kext_Z800_10.9.5_003.zip

Hi guys!

I see your are getting closer to 100% working systems. I was supposed to participate more during the past week, but had Internet connection issues. I'm getting back to work with my Z400 and should be able to share more info later today/tonight (it's ~2h30 PM EST here). I'm planning to post my actual partially working DSDT along with the original one grabbed using Ubuntu. Then I might re-do all the patches from scratch based on what seems to be the most important ones.

As I'm really not an expert with DSDT, I'd like to know what you guys think are the obviously most important patches to apply (for instance, HPET, IRQs, DTGP Method, HDEF, USB, etc).

One of the main problem I experienced with USB is that, after sleep, my USB drives get ejected / re-inserted as the power management (my guess) isn't handled properly. Did anyone of you find a working fix for this? (I'd like to avoid using the on-sleep auto-eject workaround apple script)

See you later,

Cheers