G5 case mod on a budget

haggus

27 posts in this topic

Was it troublesome to get the precision 690 to run Os X? I hear that there's a specific model of motherboard version that you have to have in order to do this in order to run the 2x processors.  Is that true?

It definitely takes a bit of reading to get the 690 working. The install is easy enough with the right stuff. I used the my171 rev 02 board  with bios rev 08 both processors work it sees it as a mac pro.

The boot flags are UseKernelCache=No GraphicEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=4

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

It definitely takes a bit of reading to get the 690 working. The install is easy enough with the right stuff. I used the my171 rev 02 board  with bios rev 08 both processors work it sees it as a mac pro.

The boot flags are UseKernelCache=No GraphicEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=4

Just reading through some old post I've shown interests in and noticed that you replied but never really noticed since. I've had me 2 of those workstations which i've successfully managed to install MacOS Yosemite + El Capitan on with the help of a fellow member here name chris1111. He's a really helpful hackintosh(er) mod(der) developer and with his usb installer tool I was able to successfully install the OS.  But to get back on subject of this thread, I'm planning to finally do my G5 mod hopefully this summer.  I'll make sure to take some pics and post the journey.