[Guide] Asus K53SD with OSX10.10 Vanilla

slurpi

48 posts in this topic

Slurpi,

Shutdown now works in Sierra 10.12.1 thanks to Herve'

now I have to fix the config.plist to accommodate the new changes.

The kernel is patched for Sandybridge

AppleRTC is patched for Sandybridge

URL: http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/user/4953-hervé/?tab=topics

for El Capitan: 

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8609-vanilla-and-patched-el-capitan-kernels-patched-aicpupm-kexts/

download the patches and dude, these work!

enjoy!

Patched_10.12_AppleRTC.kext.zip

Patched_AICPUPM_10.12.1.zip

Vanilla_kernel_10.12.1.zip

Shutdown now works in Sierra 10.12.1 thanks to Herve'

now I have to fix the config.plist to accommodate the new changes.

The kernel is patched for Sandybridge

AppleRTC is patched for Sandybridge

URL: http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/user/4953-hervé/?tab=topics

for El Capitan: 

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8609-vanilla-and-patched-el-capitan-kernels-patched-aicpupm-kexts/

download the patches and dude, these work!

This looks very interesting! Thanks for sharing, but I can only try them next week, I'm very busy at the moment. But looking forward to try this!

Hi Slurpi,

I was able to shutdown one time.  After that, could not replicate.

Don't install the Vanilla Kernel.  Toss.  not patched at all.

However, the strange thing was it shutdown with power off.

The system continues to halt at shutdown.  But after a few seconds the drive light comes on and remains.  So, the system must be on a "reboot" cycle and confuses shutdown with reboot.  But the system has halted.  weird.  The turn off the power signal isn't being sent.

Something in DSDT FACP FACS some other .aml. APIC ASL!.aml whatever.

Then need a good ApplePS2Controller.kext because the one I got off the net doesn't do it all.  It only partially works.

Hi Slurpi,

I finally got shutdown with power off

What I did 

1 re-edited profile for MacBookPro8_2.plist

followed the Clover post at this forum.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/?do=findComment&comment=1853001

goto: post #17 Patching DSDT to get Sleep working

used steps: 1,2,3. not 4 because that's for other profile

then I patched the DSDT by adding into Souces for Preferences in MacIASL

set: General:http://maciasl.sourceforge.net/pjalm/general/

used Intel Shutdown. 

the steps.

copy from the original dsdt the PIC, PST, WAK statements exactly as stated into your current working DSDT.

Then use the Intel Shutdown patch.

when you save it will error.

go to the error.

Remove:

SLPE and 4. leave only. >> , 1

should look like this: look at the screen shots.

Then in config.plist uncheck FIX SHUTDOWN, FIX WAK, 

after reboot press the power button to test.

I got shutdown with power button and from the APPLE on menubar.

Haven't tested sleep yet.  

What I chose in config.plist is Darkwake = 2. 

I'm reading up on Allan's sleep / hibernate to get this working.  

of course they have different profiles from ours we use MacBookPro8,3

so we have to make adjustments and use different means.  I found that the Asus patches 90% don't work in Intel Chipsets.

Have to choose Intel Patches and then make adjustments unless Rehabman who is absolutely awesome at making patches and kexts

has a fix.

I use Rehabmans' battery fix and backlight fix.

I use Toleda's HDA patcher 1.6v

I use Dineshs' AsusNBFnkeys along with a few of his patches to make it work.  Wifi LED FN+Keys.  Had to make several copies of DSDT and see what works.  

I attached my DSDT and config.plist

post-1813065-0-15159200-1478487943_thumb.png

post-1813065-0-33221700-1478487953_thumb.png

DSDT.aml.zip

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Slurpi,

Actually for the Intel shutdown patch the last statement can be omitted.  I took it out, 

it's an operation method that I found has no use.

it shutsdown nicely.  

I got the LED for wifi bt to work using Dinesh's AsusDSDT patches from his post.  But, since I have no combo wifi bt chip at the moment,

when I boot in, the wifi LED is on but, the wifi cannot see networks.  I think it has to do with the missing BT side.

When you pop open About This  Mac and look at System Report on your laptop, does the PCI section have anything listed?

I used to.  But when I made some changes in config.plist I no longer get PCI section in System Report.

When I pop open system hardware 3rd party my pci is listed.

I'm looking into BIOS mod.

When this sleeps it don't wake up so have to find the right DSDT statement to add.

Stu

Thanks for all the updates. Unfortunately your files did not help with my sleep problem. The computer still does not sleep under 10.11 or 10.12. But I'm glad you have been able to solve some of your problems!

Yes sleep is still the main issue here too.

I've tried Allan's Sleep posts as well.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1:  The MacBookPro 8,3 profile isn't a good choice.  Some choices 11,2 iMac  iMac 3,1

The statement for WAK I think needs to be Intel version.  Have to look around ask around.

The system sleeps or got dark into hibernate when pmset hibernatemode set to 25 then have to reboot into Clover and 

select Cancel Hibernate then it boots up.  Doesn't return to the Desktop Login after hibernate.

I use HDMI for work to do presentations with PP and this was a big problem.  I removed some drivers from Clover 64 bit section and no HDMI.  I was wondering where the information is concerning each driver's function.  

I updated to the Latest Clover available for download 3923 and it seems to have fixed some issues.

Haven't tried sleep to wake yet.

Happy Thanksgiving

About using the HDMI for presentations:

You have to use the Rehabman DSDT patch. Use the repository here

http://raw.github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/master

Add this to MaciASL, then choose the patch

[igpu] HD3000 low resolution

With this, the external HDMI works. But I don't use any other patch related with the screen. And there are some limitations: don't try to use the fn+f8 key, the screen gets all garbled and never recovers.

About the PCI, I only have the Ethernet card. 

About the PJALM Intel Shutdown patch: it shuts down, but still no sleep. I spent today more than 4 hours trying different modifications to sleep, but no luck.

I also don't seem to be able to use Toleda's HDA patch or Mirone Audio. Probably I am forgetting some step. I use VoodoHDA. It is not very good (feedback at boot) but it works for now. 

Because of sleep not working in 10.12, I'm still in 10.10.

I am attaching my new dsdt.

Battery and hdmi patched, from Rehabman, shutdown patched from PJALM. Works on 10.10 (with sleep and HDMI out) and 10.12 (HDMI out, shutdown, but no sleep).

dsdt.zip

Hi Makiko:

Some progress on 10.12! If I boot into single user mode (kernel option -s) and I wait up to 1 min, I eventually get some error message related to 

\_SB_.PCI0.SBRG.EC0_....

and other ACPI nodes.

In addition, if I try to shutdown the system from there, with "halt", I get a message saying that it is waiting for IOUSB. So it seems that in my case something is not right with USB. This is strange, because USB 2 and 3 is working. There is probably something not right in the way it is working.

I will now do some more research in this area. Hopefully I'll find something not quite right in the USB methods and I can fix that.

I'll let you know how this goes.

Perhaps you can try to replicate what I get? Boot into single user (at the Clover boot screen, press "o" for options, then choose the boot arguments and add "-s" to the line). Then wait up to a minute and see if you get some messages. And finally type "halt"+enter and see what you get.

Paulo

About using the HDMI for presentations:

You have to use the Rehabman DSDT patch. Use the repository here

http://raw.github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/master

Add this to MaciASL, then choose the patch

[igpu] HD3000 low resolution

With this, the external HDMI works. But I don't use any other patch related with the screen. And there are some limitations: don't try to use the fn+f8 key, the screen gets all garbled and never recovers.

About the PCI, I only have the Ethernet card. 

About the PJALM Intel Shutdown patch: it shuts down, but still no sleep. I spent today more than 4 hours trying different modifications to sleep, but no luck.

I also don't seem to be able to use Toleda's HDA patch or Mirone Audio. Probably I am forgetting some step. I use VoodoHDA. It is not very good (feedback at boot) but it works for now. 

Because of sleep not working in 10.12, I'm still in 10.10.

I am attaching my new dsdt.

Battery and hdmi patched, from Rehabman, shutdown patched from PJALM. Works on 10.10 (with sleep and HDMI out) and 10.12 (HDMI out, shutdown, but no sleep).

Let's see for the HDA patcher

I did a few things.  it took a few tries to understand their logic.

In the Clover Config.plist had to check use IntelHDMI in the Devices section

and unchecked Reset HDA and set the layout to 3 or whatever your layout is.  Mine was 3.

then for DSDT editing,  I used the patch for HDEF in the Folder HDA patcher created and did not use the IRQ one because I already used it in another patch from the Repository.  The HDEF patch has the layout for your ALC269 mine was ALC269 one of the revisions.  have to try them until one works.

But, I already knew that 3 was my layout from IOREG and some DPI thingy.  Also, from Chameleon bdmesg.  So the patch somewhere had IGPU one as well which I was able to set correctly to get HDMI and Audio to work via HDMI.

then in ACPI settings in config.plist checked Add HDMI just to make sure.  clover won't write if it is already set.  as precaution I do anyway in case.

for the IGPU in DSDT I had to set the two variables.   look at attached text file.

(Low Resolution patch edited that) 

1.  _DSM changed to XDSM just this one not the rest.

Then in the XDSM section you should see > look at text file attached.

HDEF 

1 HDA patcher prints out HDEF.txt to use a patch for DSDT which sets the layout to 3

but to make sure I edited config.plist

Right now with the updated Clover to 3923 I have 

Reset HDA checked because it didn't work with new update, and layout set to 3

and then checked is use IntelHDMI in Devices.

catch up later have to leave work ....

Stu

igpu.txt.zip

Hi Makiko:

Some progress on 10.12! If I boot into single user mode (kernel option -s) and I wait up to 1 min, I eventually get some error message related to 

\_SB_.PCI0.SBRG.EC0_....

and other ACPI nodes.

In addition, if I try to shutdown the system from there, with "halt", I get a message saying that it is waiting for IOUSB. So it seems that in my case something is not right with USB. This is strange, because USB 2 and 3 is working. There is probably something not right in the way it is working.

I will now do some more research in this area. Hopefully I'll find something not quite right in the USB methods and I can fix that.

I'll let you know how this goes.

Perhaps you can try to replicate what I get? Boot into single user (at the Clover boot screen, press "o" for options, then choose the boot arguments and add "-s" to the line). Then wait up to a minute and see if you get some messages. And finally type "halt"+enter and see what you get.

Paulo

USB is the main issue in El Capitan and Sierra.  That causes sleep not to work right.

My system does go off when I press sleep.  from Apple, from pressing Power Button and the FN combo.

After that it don't wake up.  I'm guessing it goes into Hibernation regardless of turning hibernate mode off or not.

However, I'm not well versed in debugging.  I just work intuitively or logically.  reading what others state and by knowing that

on this laptop in Winblows when it sleeps the power button blinks and all the idiot lights turn off except the battery because it's plugged in.

I think the power light stays on too.

However after reading piles and piles, mostly older OS info, it don't matter based on this new style in 10.11 and 10.12.

Mac did something different and we don't know what they did.

For instance, to shutdown, Asus patch don't work. Had to switch to Intel shutdown.

Since this board is Intel with Asus software, I'm believing that have to find Intel WAK and Sleep in DSDT.

The other issue I found using ssdtPRGen script, that SSDT.aml chops off 4 CPU's.  In the stock SSDT 8 CPU's are noted.

Asus uses 8 CPU's in the SSDT and DSDT.

I have 4 SSDT's generated by ssdtPRGen.  SSDT.aml, SSDT-1.aml, SSDT-2.aml, SSDT-3.aml.  Not even sure what order to put them in.

SSDT.aml I think is obviously the main one so I put that in Sorted in the first slot.  Then I have played around and placed the other's in some strange order.

The Original SSDT's from Clover F4 produced several SSDT's, all for CPU power and C states.  They all show 8 CPU statements.

But the problem is they are not patched for Mac.   I'm not totally versed in this stuff so I relied on ssdtPRGen.  I feel that ssdtPRGen is cutting it short

for this laptop.  

I tried to patch the originals as is, but, they are numbered with an x

SSDT-0.aml.  SSDT-1x.aml.  

SSDT-2x.aml.  SSDT-3x. aml.  

SSDT-4x.aml.  SSDT-5x.aml.

I feel all of these are necessary in order for true sleep and wake and other power related things for CPU, GPU, USB, and the whole mess.

what do you think?  

I will try out method you suggested to see if I get the same.

thnx Paulo

Stu

I'm getting Debug messages about AppleUSB sleep states every millisecond.  How to turn off?

successful wake units messages flashes across the screen while in single user mode.

check this link for Display settings for DSDT editing.  I used the Desktop one because I'm using Desktop in DSDT instead of Laptop.

Which may be causing sleep issues.  to wake up.

http://www.rampagedev.com/?page_id=200&page=3 

Edited by makiko

I'm getting

AppleUSB...  wake units messages in single user mode.  

how to turn off these messages?

check out this site for HD3000 setup in DSDT

http://www.rampagedev.com/?page_id=200&page=3

for my HDMI with Audio to work I used the Desktop switches

If we didn't have boot up glitch could use the straight method.  It gets confusing.

Stu

Hi Slurpi,

Did you ever try UEFI mode?

I ran it once for a week.  

I read that the boot aritifact goes away if you do that.  don't have to boot Legacy.

I wil try that now and get back to you to see if the boot glitch goes away and if after sleep my system wakes up.

Stu

Hi Slurpi,

I attached config.plist and dsdt.  these are current ones.

I switched to UEFI boot. haven't tried sleep yet and hdmi audio.

will try later as time to sleep.

catch up later.

@@ a couple of things I did was add "device-id" to HDEF. _DSM and IGPU.XDSM

Also, I disabled boot glitch in Kernel and Kext Patches in config.plist.

I'm thinking that the more is in dsdt regarding the hardware the better the OS works.  pretty straight forward.

more to work with.

Stu

Hi Slurpi,

I read where you patched your BIOS.

I was fiddling with this.

However, I was not able to flash after unlocking chipset settings.

ROM ID incorrect something of the sort.

what tool did you use?  Phoenix tool?   and what else?

Stu

DSDT.aml.zip

Sorry, I've been a bit busy without much time to try all your suggestions about the audio. Thank you for them. Just a quick answer about the BIOS patch. To flash the new BIOS, you need to use "WinFlash /nodate", so that WinFlash does not check the version of the new BIOS. However, you don't need to patch the BIOS anymore, you just have to use the new option in Clover: AsusAICPUPM.

I tried using UEFI a few times, but it does not sleep, not even in 10.10 or in Windows.

Hi Slurpi,

I added edited your dsdt

1 added Sata ((replaced IDE0 but not IDE1)) got errors. Have to delete IDE1 completely

2 added entry for HDEF _DSM section

3 added entry for HDMI in GFX0. _DSM section

Compare with your current DSDT to see the changes.

your dsdt is not exactly the same.  I found WQXM, WMMX, WMI1, big buffers.  

do you have FN keys working?  I had to monkey around several times to get them to work.

I'll look over your dsdt a bit more later. 

give the dsdt a try..   I noticed you're not using ssdtPRGen.  Does it not work?

You can try my latest dsdt which is also attached.  

I added   "device-id" statements to HDEF and GFX.

You should see PCI in System Report

look at Audio, Graphics and PCI sections from About This Mac.

Stu

makdsdt.zip

dsdt.zip

Edited by makiko

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone:

I'm glad to report that installation on 10.13 beta works fine:

• You need to update Clover to a version above 4081 (in my case I used 4088, which I compiled myself).
  • Disable "Fix Display" and enable "AsusAICPUPM" (which might show up as "AppleIntelCPUPM") in Clover.
  • Use a recent FakeSMC and ApplePS2SmartTouchPad kext.

The sleeping problem (remember that I was not able to make the K53D sleep under 10.11 and 10.12) is still there, but a bit different: now the machine sleeps (yay!) but does not wake. I hope that this means progress, because it seems to me it is easier to fix a wake problem than a sleep problem.

I didn't try much: USB-2 worked out off the box but USB-3 didn't; wifi was working with the injection above, bluetooth was recognised but not tested. I didn't install the Voodoo Audio driver yet,so no audio for the moment.

I will not bother to do anything else until sleeping is fixed.

I'll keep you posted.

Paulo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not much progress unfortunately. I tried many things without result, and now I can't reproduce the behaviour. That is, not it does not go to sleep, just like it did not go to sleep in 10.11 and 10.12. I spent one weekend debugging this with no results, so I am stopping this for now. :-(

Hi Paulo,

I got my machine to sleep in all the above versions.  I'm still running 10.12.5.

But, does not wake up.  

I'm beginning to think that the ACPIBatteryManager.kext has something to do with it.  Or the DSDT hack needs to be cleaned up.  Or both.

Reason being is that when I use Activity Monitor to look at how much Energy is being used, Activity Monitor crashes.  There's a work around for the Activity Manager once it crashes found by someone on this site.  This crashing seems to have started with 10.12.4 and carries into 10.12.5.  In all, the systems should sleep and wake up.  Power management.  Some code is missing or is wrong.

Work around;

delete the  com.apple.ActivityMonitor.plist file

In ~/Library/Preferences

Press ignore after crashing

• 2 years later...

Hi all. 

I followed this steps. And I installed MacOS 10.10.4 on my laptop Asus K53SD (CPU: i5-2450M, Ram: 16GB, Gerforce 610M).

But when I patched DSDT: USB 3.0, Battery, HDMI in final step. I meet error panic. (sceenshot in attactment)

I have uncheck all in DSDT fix mass on option Clover Boot, but problem isn't solved. 

Can you help me?

Thanks.

dec1707873278879d136.jpg