Succeeded installing Snow Leopard retail DVD with modcd

snows

6 posts in this topic

Thanks much to modCD!  I've successfully installed Snow Leopard with retail DVD on a Pentium 4 PC.

- 4GB memory

- 80GB SATA

- IDE DVD drive

- GMA950 chipset

The amazing thing about modCD is that it is bootable from hard disk after installation.

One question I have: Can this be updated to 10.6.8 through Apple Software Update?  (The retail DVD is 10.6.3)  Or, as some suggestions to download and run the 10.6.8 combo update instead?  What are the things should be watched out for?

If you've done similar updates, please advise.  Thanks!

Hi and Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum!

Don't update your OS X using AppStore, but download the combo update.

Backup your kexts before update, and if everything works fine great, but if you depend of one kext for audio, ethernet etc... reinstall the kext that you have saved.

Use always some app for repair the disk permissions after you installed any kext in your OS X.

I can't remember if Pentium 4 are supported by vanilla kernel. I think they are but ModCD boots legacy kernel by default if I remember right, so in order to avoid potential issues rebooting into SL 10.6.8, you may want to place a precautionary copy of Nawcom's legacy kernel 10.6.8 v2 at HDD's root before you actually reboot post combo update installation. That would then allow you to reboot using manual Chameleon boot option <Nawcom_kernel_filename> if necessary.

Hi, thanks for the heads-up!  I think it's the legacy kernel too.  Can you point to a post or link that shows how to do this?  I'm a newbie and want to learn and understand what I do here.  Upgrading from 6.3 to 6.8 is a big step but has to be done so I can get to newer version.  I would google nawcom kernel to see what I can find.  But, if there were some previous posts here about that would be great.

Hi and Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum!

Don't update your OS X using AppStore, but download the combo update.

Backup your kexts before update, and if everything works fine great, but if you depend of one kext for audio, ethernet etc... reinstall the kext that you have saved.

Use always some app for repair the disk permissions after you installed any kext in your OS X.

Hi, this is my first hands-on with OS X so it's very exciting.

To backup the kexts, do I just copy everything under /System/Library/Extensions/ to an external USB drive?  It sounds like some of these *.kext dir may be removed by the upgrade.  Do I just restore the missing kext dir. from the backup?  I saw some suggestions about correcting the file permissions too.  That would not be a big deal if it's just one or two dirs.  But, there're many kexts under /System/Library/Extensions/.

Do you have a suggestion which app to use?  I saw one called [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], I think.  Has anyone used that?  Thanks for any helps!

Only make backup of the *.kext that you will modify (original version). You can save in USB/HDD partition, wherever...

And about app for install kexts, i recommend Kext Wizard.

Thanks again for taking the time for responding!  Sorry for another newbie question:  How do I know which *.kext that will be modified?  Do you mean when I customized the retail DVD installation?  I only unchecked the printers and language stuffs just to make it install quicker.  I didn't have to use any boot flags either.