vmware tools (darwin.iso) install fails

2 posts in this topic

Hi All;

I have a new (mid-2014) macbook pro with a retina screen (13")

I've done the following:

1) wiped the OS and installed Linux (Fedora 21)

2) copied a mac OSX (Mavericks) VM that I have on another mac (vmware fusion)

3) installed vmware workstation 11 on the Linux mac (step 1)

4) started up the OSX vm,

5) downloaded v 7.1.0 version of vmware tools (darwin.iso)

http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/7.1.0/2314774/packages/com.vmware.fusion.tools.darwin.zip.tar

6) uncompressed the com.vmware.fusion.tools.darwin.zip.tar file to my Downloads dir

7) configured the OSX vm so the CD drive is an iso image, selected browse and navigated to the darwin file in :

~Downloads/darwin/com.vmware.fusion.tools.darwin.zip/payload/darwin.iso

8) connect the cd drive and run through the vmware tools install... at the end of the install I get an error stating:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)
Unexpected signal: 11.
A log file is available in "/etc/virtualmachines/OSXVPN.vmwarevm/vmware.log".  
You can request support.  

To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Data" from the Help menu.
You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.
We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

take a look at the log ^ "/etc/virtualmachines/OSXVPN.vmwarevm/vmware.log"

maybe you can find more details to help solve the issue from there, or attach the log here if not.

also; have you messed around with settings in the vm? I would try to change some of the CPU virtualization options for the VM .. settings.. processors & memory .. advanced .. I'm not sure what options you will have there but perhaps toggle them around and see if that helps at all (any any other virtualization / CPU options that you may see)