FYI: Newbie got sound working... and Cubase on Yosemite!

greggdabunny

4 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Been working on my ever first Hackintosh on a GA-Z97x-UD7 TH & GTX 970 the past few days, quite fun. Had some minor issues, but i managed to solve them. So i thought i'd share the information with you.

The objective: create a Cubase music production system.

Had the system running out of the box, then [can't mention the name] spoiled the fun. No networking, no sound, crappy video. (my bad, i was under the impression that [can't mention the name] would fix things automatically... as it should). Had to manually install some kexts. No sweat...

Video...

First i had to boot with flags: -v nv_disable=1 GraphicsEnabler=no

To ignore the GTX 970.

Once i got this running, i installed the latest nVidia web drivers to get the GTX 970 working. (nothing exciting) Works like a charm.

Sound...

Turned out that there was no sound after system boot, but once the system got out of hibernation, there was sound. (scratched my head lots of times)

It seemed that both VoodooHDA and AppleHDA with HDAEnabler7 were installed, which caused a conflict. Removed both, and to my conclusion AppleHDA did not work, but VoodooHDA did a fine job. However still the sound was kinda crappy, no matter what and how i tuned it. The sound was distorted.

I had a SB X-Fi sound card laying around, so i plugged that one in the system. Then i had a quite crystal clear sound. (me happy)

Cubase...

Even though the installation is straight forward and simple, Cubase only recognised the HDMI Digital sound output. Very painful, since i can only use the Analog Line out.

The solution: I created a Multi-Output Device in the MIDI setup utility, containing only the analog Line-Out. Cubase recognised the Muliti-Output Device and now i'm even happier... I have my Yamaha USB keyboard working with Cubase.

Thank you guys for all the information here.

Gregg

It's latency, audio quality, ability to drive professional headphones and monitors. It's pretty much essential to have good sound card otherwise they weren't be that many on the market. Ppl would just use onboard sound but I doubt that any producer use it except maybe when travelling with laptop.