Yosemite doesn't boot itself - no boot priorities anymore in BIOS

Albo-One

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I just have installed Yosemite on my HDD over the installer (I've used Nireshs distro if thats necessary) and then - like shown in the article -
unplugged my USB pen and restarted my notebook then. But it always shows me then "Please insert a boot media and so on...."...
when I try entering the BIOS (with UEFI Support), it shows me under "Boot Options" only my CD/DVD drive.... it doesn't show me "P0:XXXXXXXXX"
anymore...

Some infos:

I've installed Chameleon EFI and Standard, but with only EFI or only Standard it's the same issue
Same with Clover
There is no option to select but it was before... Secure boot is also disabled like it was before and I'm just able to add a new boot option
when my USB pen is plugged in but then just over the USB pen... I don't know what to do now... I have only 1 HDD on my notebook...

before that procedure it showed me smth like: [(ubuntu) P0:XXXXXXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXX]
                          [Windows Boot Manager (P0:XXXXXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXX]

and now:

[P1: CD/DVD Drive A]

and nothing else... and I can't add something ... reinstalling with all bootloader and options didn't have solved the problem, I tried many
things like marking that partition as boot in gparted (live disc)... :D
but no success...

Hey guys,

I just have installed Yosemite on my HDD over the installer (I've used Nireshs distro if thats necessary) and then - like shown in the article -

unplugged my USB pen and restarted my notebook then. But it always shows me then "Please insert a boot media and so on...."...

when I try entering the BIOS (with UEFI Support), it shows me under "Boot Options" only my CD/DVD drive.... it doesn't show me "P0:XXXXXXXXX"

anymore...

Some infos:

I've installed Chameleon EFI and Standard, but with only EFI or only Standard it's the same issue

Same with Clover

There is no option to select but it was before... Secure boot is also disabled like it was before and I'm just able to add a new boot option

when my USB pen is plugged in but then just over the USB pen... I don't know what to do now... I have only 1 HDD on my notebook...

before that procedure it showed me smth like: [(ubuntu) P0:XXXXXXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXX]

[Windows Boot Manager (P0:XXXXXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXX]

and now:

[P1: CD/DVD Drive A]

and nothing else... and I can't add something ... reinstalling with all bootloader and options didn't have solved the problem, I tried many

things like marking that partition as boot in gparted (live disc)... :D

but no success...

as much as i'd like for niresh and pirated OS X distributors to rot in a hole,i can't really.

windows boot manager is not needed,get clover or chameleon (for UEFI and BIOS respectively),then install a fresh windows copy using bootcamp and some elbow grease.

as much as i'd like for niresh and pirated OS X distributors to rot in a hole,i can't really.

windows boot manager is not needed,get clover or chameleon (for UEFI and BIOS respectively),then install a fresh windows copy using bootcamp and some elbow grease.

That's not the problem, I don't wanna use Windows on that notebook. My problem actually is that my HDD isn't listed on BIOS boot priorities/settings, therefore my notebook redirects me every time to that damn BIOS settings when turning on. I tried to reinstall Yosemite several times with different boot-loaders and settings, but it quite doesn't wanna work. I'm helpless. :-/

Your laptop is likely an ASUS. If so, they do not recognize a HD formatted with Apple GUID. When you ran the USB installer you probably set the HD as GUID with HFS+ formatted partition. ASUS doesn't recognize that as you discovered. The HD needs to be formatted MBR, HFS+ for the Apple partition.

Unfortunately, the Mac installer will not install to MBR without modification of the installer. For my ASUS I cloned an existing Mac installation to the laptop HD which had been formatted MBR, HFS+. I installed kexts known to be required for Mac on the laptop and installed the HD into the laptop.

I believe most Asus notebooks have an option to manually add the path to the efi file as a boot option to the bios. That might not be necessary though. Make sure you are installing clover to the efi partition and not the root of the HFS partition, then when you boot from the clover USB (you can still do that right?) At the bottom of the boot menu you should see a few options to add a clover entry to the bios. I believe you want to add the 2nd one. Otherwise you should be able to find out how to add it manually from the bios. On my Asus notebook, there is an option to launch a uefi shell which will allow you to do that.