"STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICES" HELP

Daniele Sarnari

33 posts in this topic

GO UNDER THE TOPIC!

Hello guys,(this is the second post because i don't know if i should only put it on AMD section or here too. The first post is here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/303618-still-waiting-for-root-devices-help/?do=findComment&comment=2098504)

Niresh Yosemite 10.10.1 is on an USB.

My config:

- Motherboard: ASUS M2N68-AM Plus

- Cpu: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4850e

- Ram: 4GB

- Graphic Card: Nvidia GEFORCE GT-630(4GB SDDR3)

With this flag the loading bar stuck at the begin:

/amd

With this flag the loading bar stuck at 40/50%:  

/amd npci=0x2000 

I tried with different flag (/ AMD1, / amd2, / amd64 / amd32, / amd fx) but not even started booting. Only with /amd the boot start. What can i do? I tried also with the  flag -f, -x, -s, GraphicEnabler=No.

YOUTUBE VIDEO:  http://youtu.be/vPIwaPK49ds 

WITH -S: http://i62.tinypic.com/9q9v20.jpg  (stuck at Still waiting for root device)

ERROR SHOW WITH -s:

33upged.jpg

Are you selected AHCI mode for hard drives? If you booting from USB then you have troubles with USB port. Try to use usb 2.0. Disable USB Legacy support in BIOS/EFI GUI.

I have an 2012 bios, it don't have AHCI. I have only usb 2.0 port and i tryed al different ports. I tried to disable the USB Legacy support but anything changed-

EDIT:

I founded in the BIOS the "IDE Configuration" where i disabled "IDE" but nothing changed!

AFAIK your MOBO has a Geforce 7025/nForce 630a chipset......so with Yosemite you should use the 64bit AppleNForceATA.kext......see my nForce Yosemite Install Guide.......:)

• Like 1

EDIT:

I entered all the kext that were in the package (15 kexts), I booted with the flag 

/amd -f -v npci=0x2000 USBBusFix=Yes

and the error about AppleNforce are disappear. This is the screen(sorry for the bad photo):

2e4lxmw.jpg

You can see the error about the graphic card disappeard, but "still waiting for root device" not. @C.Frio 

hi..

take a close look here to see if help....   http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/278075-about-still-waiting-for-root-device/

c.frio

Ps: with -v i can see an "error encountered while starting up the computer pausing 5 seconds", the line before the error it was "VodooTSCSync". It can be this the problem? Thanks!

hi..

as "still waiting..." has relations with SATA/PATA as I read at that topic...

maybe @verdant can suggest another nForce ATA...but with this one try to play with SATA ports..first

do you have any usb HD? to try to install on it?

c.frio

hi..

as "still waiting..." has relations with SATA/PATA as I read at that topic...

maybe @verdant can suggest another nForce ATA...but with this one try to play with SATA ports..first

do you have any usb HD? to try to install on it?

c.frio

I am using an USB 2.0 to boot niresh yosemite, what is "usb HD"?

In my bios i can change the virtualization of the USB, there is the option for HD, floppy, ecc.... I should try it?

Ah ok, for usb HD you mean an portable Hardisk. I have an usb HDD but it is of my dad and i can't use it XD he might kill me  :(

hi..

disconnect HDDs, put your father's external HDD usb at a port, or an 16 gb pen drive, and try...the idea is to see if it get the install screen without an HDD at sata/pata port..not to install..

I don't know the way Niresh organize the things...so try to install without HDD and usb too...see if it ask for it ,at installer screen..take a look ar AMD section how  to make an clean pen drive ..not distro 

c.frio

hi..

disconnect HDDs, put your father's external HDD usb at a port, or an 16 gb pen drive, and try...the idea is to see if it get the install screen without an HDD at sata/pata port..not to install..

I don't know the way Niresh organize the things...so try to install without HDD and usb too...see if it ask for it ,at installer screen..take a look ar AMD section how  to make an clean pen drive ..not distro 

c.frio

SOLVED THE ERROR, NOW I HAVE NEW PROBLEM WITH THE BOOT. THERE IS THE SCREENSHOT:

WITHOUT CONSOLE = 

6t1c78.jpg

AT CONSOLE(2 PHOTO, LEFT SCREEN AND RIGHT SCREEN):

v2w9k3.jpg

2hhlobb.jpg

AFAIK your MOBO has a Geforce 7025/nForce 630a chipset......so with Yosemite you should use the 64bit AppleNForceATA.kext......see my nForce Yosemite Install Guide....... :)

LOOK UP

hi..

just boot with usb..no hdds,no set usb as hdd just as first boot to see..if it gives other screen..the issue is I don.'t know how niresh is mounted...and which screen suppose to open..and the options...

usb installer is one thing...where you will install it is other..the idea is...see if the usb as first boot...boots..I realy don't know if you need to set the usb as hdd as you did..then if it boots the next step will be how install and look how make sata port work

fyi...   http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285772-amd-processors-nforce-630a-without-ahci/

c.frio

@ Daniele Sarnari

If you have a SATA optical drive then disconnect it, and if you can get a IDE optical drive, then  set it up as Master (via jump connector) and connect as master via 80 wire IDE cable to the MOBO...

If you have SATA / RAID options in BIOS then enable SATA Channels and enable RAID (but with out setting up SATA HDDs as RAID), as this should enable AHCI functionality....

BTW is this your first OS X install attempt on the MOBO........if so, note that this MOBO has been reported to work fine with OS X Snow Leopard 32 bit mode with these kexts

AppleNForceATA.kext
nForceLAN.kext

so with a OS X 10.10 AMD kernel I would expect it to work with Yosemite with these 64bit nForce kexts:

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext
nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

plus other required kexts......

@ Daniele Sarnari

If you have a SATA optical drive then disconnect it, and if you can get a IDE optical drive, then  set it up as Master (via jump connector) and connect as master via 80 wire IDE cable to the MOBO...

If you have SATA / RAID options in BIOS then enable SATA Channels and enable RAID (but with out setting up SATA HDDs as RAID), as this should enable AHCI functionality....

BTW is this your first OS X install attempt on the MOBO........if so, note that this MOBO has been reported to work fine with OS X Snow Leopard 32 bit mode with these kexts

AppleNForceATA.kext

nForceLAN.kext

so with a OS X 10.10 AMD kernel I would expect it to work with Yosemite with these 64bit nForce kexts:

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

plus other required kexts......

I have two optical drive, one is connected with SATA and the second is connected with IDE and it's set up as Master. I have an hardisk where i want to install yosemite, i should disconnect it?

In my bios i have an voice called "nVidia Raid", it's that?

If you want, i can give you some screenshot about my bios so you can help me to configure it XD

Thanks a lot!

@verdant

I had formatted the USB, I had put into usb the kext you told me you and now i am stuck at "still waiting for root devices" with "AppleNForceATA: found 0 units".

How i should set the BIOS? There are the screenshot:

http://i57.tinypic.com/2mg85t5.jpg  (BIOS)

http://i60.tinypic.com/idwqif.jpg   (USB)

http://i61.tinypic.com/wldieh.jpg   (USB PART 2)

http://i62.tinypic.com/2wpqijk.jpg    (IDE CONTROLLER PART 1)

http://i61.tinypic.com/2hp7ywn.jpg   (IDE CONTROLLER PART 2)

Disconnect the SATA optical drive from SATA Channel 3

Put the Samsung SP2504C HDD on SATA Channel 1

USB Storage Device Emulation should be OK on 'Auto' as are the other USB settings you have

Leave USB Legacy Support as 'Auto'

Onboard IDE Controller as 'Enabled'

Serial-ATA Devices as 'Device 0/1'

Set nVidia RAID function as 'Enabled'

Set SATA 0 Controller 0 as 'Disabled'

Set SATA 0 Controller 1 as 'Disabled'

and also make sure that you have done after adding or removing any kexts from /System/Library/Extensions:

In Terminal type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete the files within Startup….

invalidsignedkextalert.plist
IOKitPersonalities_x86_64.ioplist.gz
kernelcache
KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_x86_64.plist.gz
loadedkextmt.plist

Then, in Terminal, type

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Then use the OS X Yosemite Disk Utility to repair the OS X Yosemite system permissions......then reboot......

If this still does not work, then run cVADs Kext Utility for Yosemite.........

Disconnect the SATA optical drive from SATA Channel 3

Put the Samsung SP2504C HDD on SATA Channel 1

USB Storage Device Emulation should be OK on 'Auto' as are the other USB settings you have

Leave USB Legacy Support as 'Auto'

Onboard IDE Controller as 'Enabled'

Serial-ATA Devices as 'Device 0/1'

Set nVidia RAID function as 'Enabled'

Set SATA 0 Controller 0 as 'Disabled'

Set SATA 0 Controller 1 as 'Disabled'

and also make sure that you have done after adding or removing any kexts from /System/Library/Extensions:

In Terminal type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Then go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and delete the files within Startup….

invalidsignedkextalert.plist
IOKitPersonalities_x86_64.ioplist.gz
kernelcache
KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_x86_64.plist.gz
loadedkextmt.plist

Then, in Terminal, type

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Then use the OS X Yosemite Disk Utility to repair the OS X Yosemite system permissions......then reboot......

If this still does not work, then run cVADs Kext Utility for Yosemite.........

I should boot with /amd npci=0x2000 -v -s ? If you want help me in real tyme i can use notebook to chat with you and this pc to try the operation!

Try booting with:

/amd npci=0x3000 USBLegacyOff=Yes -v

If this works then change BIOS setting  Legacy USB Setting to 'Disabled'

As I do not know if your AMD kernel deals with it or not, you may also need to use busratio=20 as a boot flag.

Try booting with:

/amd npci=0x3000 USBLegacyOff=Yes -v

If this works then change BIOS setting  Legacy USB Setting to 'Disabled'

As I do not know if your AMD kernel deals with it or not, you may also need to use busratio=20 as a boot flag.

I did all but it is stuck at AppleNForceATA: found  0 units.

Did you reset all the kext ownership and permissions in /System/Library/Extensions?

Yes, i formatted the USB and i had put into System/Library/Extensions all the kext there was into your package verdant_Yosemite_Support_Files_v1.0/64bit Kexts for Sys_Lib_Extensions  (without IntelCPUMonitor.kext and IntelThermal.kext and FakeSMC.kext)

Now it's working

GRAPHIC IT'S BAD BUT IT WORK

Now in the terminal i try to put "sudo chown -R root:whell /System/Library/Extensions" but it say "sudo: command not found"

and if i try to put only "chown -R root:whell /System/Library/Etensions" it say "chown: whell: illegal group name"

I am not sure what else to suggest at present apart from you looking here, but I have also PM'd you details of the Snow Leopard installation guide, so you can see if you can get Snow Leopard running first to sort out the hardware / BIOS settings.....

EDIT: As it is now working, my comment above is not needed. 

What did you do to get it working?

You cannot use the sudo command because you do not have the sudo command file in /usr/bin on your USB drive......you must put the sudo Unix executable file in /usr/bin......you can use TinkerTool to unhide the hidden system files.....