Realtek RTL8168/8111 optimized driver with MAC address customization

Andy Vandijck

38 posts in this topic

Sure, I don't have have any time to do it today but tomorrow I'll start on implementing a better one (based on latest sources available) when I have the time (have also a lot to do tomorrow).

If you really make it worth my while I'll continue to support this driver then (and update when I can).

I'll let you know a.s.a.p. ;)

Sorry, if this sounds harsh, but I suggest you better start reading about ethernet drivers in general before you begin to code.

Mieze

• Like 2

Sorry, if this sounds harsh, but I suggest you better start reading about ethernet drivers in general before you begin to code.

Mieze

i would love to have the things to read if you have any links 

• Like 1

Don't you think that this is impudent? Taking the result of someone else's hard work and ask for money in order to add a few lines of trivial code?

If you have the time and you can do it for free - i'll still be happy to donate money to you, even if you don't ask for a donation. If you want to work together with Andy - just go for it i'll donate to you both because i appreciate other people's work.

I'm talking about the Atheros driver that crashes under Yosemite, myself and many people have Z77 and H77-DS3H motherboards with Atheros ethernet card that doesn't have a stable working driver... I'm not a developer so i don't really care if you rewrite it from scratch or only add 2 lines of code, just make it work and add a donation button to your post or PM me when it's finished.

i would love to have the things to read if you have any links 

Here you are:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/DeviceDrivers/Conceptual/NetworkDriver/1_Intro/Intro.html

For additional documentation get a copy of Xcode. It includes almost everything you need for kext development, in particular the documentation of the base classes for a driver.

In order to get an introduction to Realtek NICs please take a look at the attached PDF.

Mieze

RTL8111B_8168B_Registers_DataSheet_1.0.pdf

• Like 1

Apple concept + Datasheet != Working driver

Some initial sources required to know algorithms and workarounds.

ALXEthernet worked very fine in 10.8.0. The problem is compatibility with Yosemite.

Mieze, you second post - and the second half of your first post, by the way - wasn't harsh, it was a pertinent and professional critique from a skilled developer of a given field to another whose skills in that particular field are yet to prove. The first half of your post was the kind of thing that would better fit on a P.M.: see, the driver he knew was yours and is undergoing active development was forked and offered free of charge - that's the fact and that's nothing wrong with this.

When he talked about money, when he was asked to update a second driver, who knows for sure if he was with the intention of making money using you hard work, instead of thinking it was some random, unfinished, abandoned driver, not even supported anymore by its developer, like so many OSX86 drivers (think KX, Envy24, just to name two)? I'm sure, by knowing Andy from other contributions to OSX86, that as soon as he knew the AR816x driver he was asked to improve was on active development - I, personally, don't think it needs to be improved in any way - he would have declined. You could, again, have PM'd him about this instead of calling out an "impudence" that didn't even happened yet.

Because another fact is, the other ALX driver the user XLR asked Andy to improve is not yours, and it never worked properly, since day one, and isn't supported/updated by its developer, Shailua, for almost two years now, and only a hardcore moralist wouldn't agree that there's nothing wrong with asking for a small reward, specially being in dire need of money like Andy told us he is, to fix an abandonware driver nobody else seems to care about, even its original developer - with all due respect for Shailua, who certainly did her best in the time she was willing to spare.

Best regards.

Apple concept + Datasheet != Working driver

Some initial sources required to know algorithms and workarounds.

ALXEthernet worked very fine in 10.8.0. The problem is compatibility with Yosemite.

No, sorry, Slice: Shailua's ALX driver would hang when transferring or downloading large files for many users (search is our friend). Even with 10.8.0. None of her updates solved the issue. Three months later, she stopped updating or even posting altogether. That driver needs work. If Andy solves its issues, he will deserve his donations for sure.

All the best!

No, sorry, Slice: Shailua's ALX driver would hang when transferring or downloading large files for many users (search is our friend). Even with 10.8.0. None of her updates solved the issue. Three months later, she stopped updating or even posting altogether. That driver needs work. If Andy solves its issues, he will deserve his donations for sure.

All the best!

Will not discuss with you.

I just used this driver on Z77 motherboard of my friend.

• Like 1

Will not discuss with you.

I just used this driver on Z77 motherboard of my friend.

I'm not discussing, I'm stating a fact: many users reported the same (please, use the forum's search tool). Good to hear it worked for you. Have you consider the fact you're just lucky? Out of curiosity, did you try to transfer/download a file, say, 10GB large?

When he talked about money, when he was asked to update a second driver, who knows for sure if he was with the intention of making money using you hard work, instead of thinking it was some random, unfinished, abandoned driver, not even supported anymore by its developer, like so many OSX86 drivers (think KX, Envy24, just to name two)? I'm sure, by knowing Andy from other contributions to OSX86, that as soon as he knew the AR816x driver he was asked to improve was on active development - I, personally, don't think it needs to be improved in any way - he would have declined. You could, again, have PM'd him about this instead of calling out an "impudence" that didn't even happened yet.

Asking for donations is one thing and there is nothing wrong with it, but demanding money in exchange for work means turning something into a commercial activity.

Mieze

• Like 5

I'm not discussing, I'm stating a fact: many users reported the same (please, use the forum's search tool). Good to hear it worked for you. Have you consider the fact you're just lucky? Out of curiosity, did you try to transfer/download a file, say, 10GB large?

Is not too large?

Sorry, this is OT.

• 2 years later...

Sure, I don't have have any time to do it today but tomorrow I'll start on implementing a better one (based on latest sources available) when I have the time (have also a lot to do tomorrow).

If you really make it worth my while I'll continue to support this driver then (and update when I can).

I'll let you know a.s.a.p. ;)

Hi AnV.

Driver doesn't wake from sleep macOS 10.12/10.13

• 1 year later...