GA-Z77X-UD5H Ozmosis Guide

asstastic

52 posts in this topic

This is a basic guide to getting El Capitan booting on a GA-Z77X-UD5H. I'll do my best to edit this post with updates and check in to answer any questions. The work here builds off of the pioneering efforts of xpamadeus, Hermit Crab Labs and the others named in the links below. If you feel your work has not been properly credited here please send me a PM so I can give credit where due.

There have been reports of issues with my BIOS on rev1.0 boards. If you have a rev 1.0 BIOS, you may want to use one of the other Ozmosis bios files referenced in this thread.

Guide:

• Back up any existing OSX systems before upgrading. Have another working OS install or computer on hand if your OSX install is unable to boot after following the guide.
  • Mount your EFI partition. Mac Windows
  • Copy the ozmosis defaults plist to EFI/Oz/Defaults.plist on the EFI partition. You may want to first edit the plist to use a unique system serial number.
  • Copy the DSDT file to EFI/Oz/Acpi/Load/DSDT.aml on the EFI partition.
  • Copy FakeSMC to EFI/Oz/Darwin/Extensions/Common/FakeSMC.kext on the EFI partition.
  • Copy any other kexts for Ethernet/Sound to the same directory as FakeSMC on the EFI partition. These are optional as only the above files are needed to boot OSX.
  • Flash your BIOS to 16g_oz1669_v1.fd Rev 1.1 board only!
  • Your system is now ready to install/upgrade to OSX 10.11 "El Capitan".

Troubleshooting:

• Caution, VoodooHDA may route microphone output through your speakers causing some awful feedback. Turn your speakers down or off till you can fix the levels.
  • OSX partitions do not show up in F12 boot list after flashing oz1669: Check the Defaults.plist. I ran into this issue because I had a custom Defaults.plist that was missing many values needed to correctly show boot devices. If you already have an existing defaults plist, use the plist I have provided and overwrite the settings you want to keep from the old plist.
  • Black screen on boot after installing patched AppleHDA to EFI partition: This happened to me and rendered OSX unbootable. I had to remove the patched HDA kext from Windows. Use VoodooHDA for now.

Old Yosemite guide:

Setup Guide:

• Flash the Ozmosis BIOS.
  • Set your BIOS according to this post. Your system may still work with CSM and VT-d enabled.
  • If OSX is already installed, remove any previous OSX bootloaders, files etc. Don't forget the Clover files in your EFI partition.
  • If OSX isn't installed, install it.
  • Add kext-dev-mode=1 to com.apple.Boot.plist. This boot option is required to use modified kexts (including the essential FakeSMC) in OSX 10.10.X Yosemite.
  • If you have an AMD/Nvidia card, rename the provided DSDT.aml and copy it to EFI/Oz/Acpi/Load/DSDT.aml on the EFI partition of your first GPT disk (run the diskutil list command in terminal to see disk order). Otherwise, create your own DSDT, MaciASL.app is recommended. Reboot, so the DSDT can take effect.
  • Extract and run the HDA patch script to patch AppleHDA.kext. You can also try VoodooHDA but given the issues I've had with it a patched AppleHDA is recommended for best stability.
  • If you are experiencing issues waking your computer (see issues below for details), download AppleNativeGPUPowerManagement.kext from the Multi-monitor wake fix link. The kext is designed for the GTX 670. If you have another graphics card, replace the PCI device ID in the kext's info.plist with one for your card. Install the kext.
  • Install ethernet kext.
  • Fill in the missing values in the NVRAM Script then double-click it to run. BaseBoardSerial should be 17 alpha-numeric characters i.e. 1700000000000000A. SystemSerial should be a valid Macmini6,2 serial number i.e. C02LW9I6DWYN. ROM should be your ethernet MAC address i.e. %23%f4%e7%65%4a%44. MLB should be your serial number padded with random alpha-numerics to 17 digits i.e. C02LW9I6DWYN190AZ. There are many tools designed for Clover/Chameleon to help generate these SMBios values.
  • Reboot to apply the newly installed/patched kexts.

Issues:

• System will sometimes not wake properly. Looking at the System.log, it seems the GTX 660 graphics card isn't waking up Oct 20 04:31:26 hackintosh kernel[0]: NVDA::setPowerState(0x4a6f17b1751b1697, 0 -> 1) timed out after 45569 ms. This issue happens every wake with AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext installed. Fix this with the multi-monitor wake fix.
  • Yosemite install rebooted to black screen. No idea what happened. Instead of waiting for whatever was running to finish I did a hard reboot. My Yosemite partition didn't show up in the system boot list but a new Recovery Partition was available. I pulled my drive, placed it in an external USB enclosure, booted it up on a Apple Mac, and completed the install on the Apple Mac.
  • VoodooHDA refused to load. I resolved this by adding the following boot flag to com.apple.boot.plist: kext-dev-mode=1
  • VoodooHDA panic on wake from sleep. Should probably use HDA instead.

Multi-Monitor Wake fix: AppleNativeGPUPowerManagement.kext.zip

Links/Files:

Ozmosis BIOS Rev 1.1 board only!:

oz167x: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1488481/16g_oz167x_v2.fd

oz1669: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxsfg52ji91064c/16g_oz1669_v1.fd?dl=0

Ozmosis Defaults (edit before use):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1488481/Defaults.plist

FakeSMC Kext:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors/files/?source=navbar

Intel Mausi Ethernet Kext:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/download/396-intelmausiethernet/

VoodooHDA:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/

DSDT (Optional for Sierra):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tvpv4guqnyh7tu/DSDT.aml?dl=0

Atheros Ethernet Kext (Untested in 10.11.x, possibly unstable, use at own risk):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283086-updated-atheros-ar8131325152-driver-for-107108/

Edits:

2016-12-29: Replaced Oz defaults plist with version using MacMini6,2 identifier for Sierra support. Added link to Oz 167x bios.

2015-11-30: Added Ozmosis v1669 BIOS and Oz defaults plist. Added DSDT. Removed old links.

2015-09-12: Replaced Hnak's intel ethernet kext with Mausi.

• Like 3

Thanks for starting this thread. The previous thread related to this specific board is helpful, but has a lot of outdated posts and goes back and forth between clover installs and osmosis installs. It'll be nice to have a thread specific to those using Ozmosis on this board. I also realize you copied part of this guide from the other thread, so for those of you who are unaware, the first post showing you how to configure bios can be found here.

• 2 months later...

I get stuck at the step above to "rename the provided DSDT.aml and copy it to EFI/Oz/Acpi/Load/DSDT.aml on the EFI partition of your first GPT disk". I'm starting with Clover and OS X already installed and I've flashed the BIOS, but when I boot in, there is no EFI/Oz... folder structure on my EFI Volume. I'm pretty sure it's the correct EFI partition because there is only 1 EFI showing with "diskutil list" in terminal. I tried deleting the Clover folder in EFI and rebooting, but this didn't help.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a problem with installing OS X on my GA-Z77X-UD5H. I flashed the BIOS and prepare USB with mavericks and installation went OK but... I don't have ethernet nor on intel nor atheros NIC, of course I installed Intel E1000.kext from link in the first post but still I don't have internet.

P.S could anyone describe more precisely about NVRAM script, I don't know how to modify that script, and I would like to know if imessage will work?

@thedubiousdubber

but I use Kext utility and my ethernet kext was installed in /S/L/E and still not working. Also what do you mean by : "Ozmosis not loading my Kexts from the is folder in efi" can you tell me where I should put kexts in the EFI partition? and last but not least. I thought that when use ozmosis modded BIOS all needed kext will be injected in BIOS (maybe except audio) so why do I need to adding kext to the OS? maybe I can tweak the attached BIOS to add ethernet kext?

@thedubiousdubber

but I use Kext utility and my ethernet kext was installed in /S/L/E and still not working. Also what do you mean by : "Ozmosis not loading my Kexts from the is folder in efi" can you tell me where I should put kexts in the EFI partition? and last but not least. I thought that when use ozmosis modded BIOS all needed kext will be injected in BIOS (maybe except audio) so why do I need to adding kext to the OS? maybe I can tweak the attached BIOS to add ethernet kext?

For me working on EFI partition.Like this follow pictures!!!

• 1 month later...

10.10.3 Updates

Somewhere during the 10.10.3 update I changed something and could no longer get my system booting. After a repair combo update install and some BIOS tweaking, things are working again. I traced the issues to a combination of graphics settings and an unrelated Yosemite bug.

Fixes:

• 4 weeks later...

Install update from appstore, patch HDA kext and update Nvidia drivers once the update has completed.

If you have a TRIM compatible SSD, run sudo trimforce enable from the terminal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Help! I was installing from 10.10.5 usb drive. The initial install seemed to be going fine until the first reboot. I get nothing on my monitor. It is connected to my video card, gt640. Do I need to remove the video card and install using the MB video?

Help! I was installing from 10.10.5 usb drive. The initial install seemed to be going fine until the first reboot. I get nothing on my monitor. It is connected to my video card, gt640. Do I need to remove the video card and install using the MB video?

Try booting into "Safe Mode" or "Verbose" mode. Key combinations for the startup modes are here https://github.com/tuxuser/OzmosisBIOS

If it gets stuck in verbose boot, take a picture and post it here.

• 3 weeks later...

Try booting into "Safe Mode" or "Verbose" mode. Key combinations for the startup modes are here https://github.com/tuxuser/OzmosisBIOS

If it gets stuck in verbose boot, take a picture and post it here.

I removed the video card and installed from the MB graphics. Install went fine but i did have a worry when during the reboot the screen went weird but it got to the sign in screen and has every time so I guess I can live with it.

Now my problem is sound. I don't have any sound. I followed the instructions and installed the sound but did not select the HDMI because I don't plan on using HDMI for anything. I had a sound device in my system preferences but did not get any sound at all. It did not matter where I plugged in my speakers, there was no sound. The only thin I did not try was the front panel sound jacks. Any ideas?

The video card issues could be related to the card bios. I believe that cards with BIOS only firmware require CSM to be enabled in the motherboard BIOS settings. BIOS + UEFI firmware cards should work without CSM.

The HDA patch linked in the first post no longer works for me under 10.10.5. Instead I used the backup patched kext from 10.10.4.

HDA patch script in the first post does not support 10.10.5. Back up your current patched 10.10.x HDA kext before upgrading and restore it when the upgrade is complete.

The video card issues could be related to the card bios. I believe that cards with BIOS only firmware require CSM to be enabled in the motherboard BIOS settings. BIOS + UEFI firmware cards should work without CSM.

The HDA patch linked in the first post no longer works for me under 10.10.5. Instead I used the backup patched kext from 10.10.4.

HDA patch script in the first post does not support 10.10.5. Back up your current patched 10.10.x HDA kext before upgrading and restore it when the upgrade is complete.

I installed 10.10.5 so I never had a back up HDA kext. Can you upload one?

I installed 10.10.5 so I never had a back up HDA kext. Can you upload one?

Thanks for the upload. It seems to work because I have an audio device that I can select but I no sound through my speakers. The audio device changes to headphones when I plug in headphones but I still get no sound. I have no idea what to try next. Maybe I will get a cheap usb audio output.

Thanks for the upload. It seems to work because I have an audio device that I can select but I no sound through my speakers. The audio device changes to headphones when I plug in headphones but I still get no sound. I have no idea what to try next. Maybe I will get a cheap usb audio output.

I am happy to report that the cheap USB sound is working so I now have audio out!

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see this topic, any progress with OS versions beyond those listed above?

No. El Capitan introduces additional system protections that break Ozmosis.There are rumors that an updated version of Ozmosis is in development. IF it is finished and IF I can get it working this guide will be updated.

• Like 1

No. El Capitan introduces additional system protections that break Ozmosis.There are rumors that an updated version of Ozmosis is in development. IF it is finished and IF I can get it working this guide will be updated.

Yeah, I learned that while catching up on Ozmosis. Will keep an eye out and post if I get it up and running.

El Capitan can be installed on Ozmosis as far back as version 894m. with a few Caveats, 1 you must have your kexts in your /S/L/E folder, and 2 you must have csr-active-config=%(Hex Value) for your SIP related disabling.

HERE is a link regarding setting the SIP protections for Ozmosis from the main Ozmosis thread.

yes, El Capitan removes the direct injection from Ozmosis of your favorite Extensions, but in exchange you don't have to mess with setting up everything all over again.

HBP

• 1 month later...

Delete AppleHDA from S/L/E.

Use this Installer for ALC898 http://www.osx86.net/file/4564-os-x-audio-alcapp/

Use the OZ 1669 F14 Bios from here: http://www.hackintosh-inc.de/index.php/Board/9-Ozmosis-UEFI-Firmware-Download-Center/

Copy AppleIntelE1000e.kext (v3.2.4.2 from Multicast v8.0) to EFI/OZ/Darwin/Extensions/Common on the EFI partition.