Suggestion: Cleaning Chat

10 posts in this topic

Hey there,

I'm quite new here but there's something that extremely bugs me.

I have two suggestions.

Suggestion #1:

Most threads I read include extremely poor English. This makes it extremely difficult for people who help out to understand what people are trying to ask, and how to answer them. This is also a difficulty within chat.

I was wondering if it's possible for an additional quiz to be added; a simple English quiz. The quiz would include some simple questions that would need to be passed to have specific posting/chat permissions. This quiz would include grammatical, spelling and basic sentence structure questions.

Suggestion #2:

I'm in chat most of the time. Whenever my computer is on, I have chat pulled up on a separate screen. Many people have conversations with each other, supporting and discussing topics. Every 10 minutes or so, somebody who has just created an account joins the chat spamming for help. When people are actually conversing, these people start spamming asking why nobody is responding/use extremely poor English which annoys me and most likely many others.

My suggestion is that for somebody to get support, they must first create a thread. If they haven't gotten any help within 2 hours, they can post the link within chat. The thread has to contain the verbose log and any other specific information that could help us.

These aren't extremely huge suggestions or that make much difference, although I'm sure that these would benefit many.

This could just be a discussion thread for getting feedback and such.

Cheers.

Edit: I also see many people who ask for support with competitors distros and such. This isn't allowed, so I thought of a quick solution; when creating a thread, they have to select which distro/installation they're using. Unless it's vanilla, the thread won't post publicly and they'll get 20% warning level for a month or such.

40% would get posting permissions removed for three days, 60% a week.

100% would get the account closed.

Hey a note distros are OK here, just not many people here think it is, I made a topic asking if distros are ok and a mod said it was ;) and in the chat i sometimes have bad speling but its because i can't touch type so speed typing is hard.

Hey a note distros are OK here, just not many people here think it is, I made a topic asking if distros are ok and a mod said it was ;) and in the chat i sometimes have bad speling but its because i can't touch type so speed typing is hard.

Your spelling is fine for me, I mean people who put like "help want i okay cant nvida run", attempting to say something like "I need assistance with an NVIDIA driver issue."

Got you I OK :P (I was actully saying "OK I got you) ;) .

Hey did you read the thing I said about distros?

Read the rules. second the chat isnt just for help it's for users to talk to one another about anything they want but people like to come in and ask a few things.

and about distro's it's apart of the rules which you should have read before signing up then you would know distro's are not aloud or supported.

hi..

I suggest, aside of the member name at chat.. could appear the basic platform used..MB,video, OS X,and boot loader

I suppose the chat could  be more fast and dynamic...

my english is not good..but I try to write  the words at right way...grammar is more difficult ...

c.frio

Read the rules. second the chat isnt just for help it's for users to talk to one another about anything they want but people like to come in and ask a few things.

and about distro's it's apart of the rules which you should have read before signing up then you would know distro's are not aloud or supported.

Look here  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300586-are-distros-ok/ and yes the person who anwsered was a supervisor.

Also with distro you should have a legal copy of the os e.i. you get hazard snow leopard and you have a copy of snow leopard or I guess with mavericks/yosemite its fine 'cause they are free.

Just for clarification:

The only distro not allowed in the forum is iAtkosM, because the creator asks for a cash contribution; previous versions (free) of iATKOS are supported.

All other distro known (Niresh, Hazard, Kaliway & c.) are supported

Good Hack

• Like 3

I think adding an english section to the quiz might help but the problem might just be that people just don't care when they write which order the words are in and what that changes the sentence to. People who care get more respect which should make everyone try to english at least a little bit. About the chat, I did notice people writing nonsense in there (may have been just people goofing off) but I would think that people would just use a forum topic if they need real help and people can "chat" in the comments; I wouldn't expect much help from the chat.