First time DSDT edit for HP Pavilion 15t

lcronos

11 posts in this topic

I'm trying to fix my DSDT, however I have no experience doing this by hand and need a little help.  I don't want it just patched for me, I'd like help figuring out how to fix the errors myself.  Without any patches my DSDT has 6 errors, I'm hoping that figuring out the basics of these edits will help me fix any errors that come up once the patces are added in.  Here's the DSDT.

lcronos DSDT.zip

I got rid of most of your errors and warnings by using the highlight and delete functions.  You can delete the entries for the first two errors at lines 53 and 54.  You can delete line 9215 and line 9664.  That will rid you of the errors but you need to test it to make sure you didn't lose any functions.  I don't think you will.

As to your warnings and remarks, most can be removed by deleting the underscore before the text (e.g., change "_T_0" to "T_0 and change "_DEP" to "DEP").  As for the rest of the warnings and remarks, try Google.  That's how I learned how to edit DSDT files.  The answers are  there.  I just don't remember them from memory.

• Like 1

So what tool are you using? I am using MaciASL and when I delete the errors that show up, more come in.  Both are syntax errors, once deleted 3 new ones and several warnings come up, none like the ones you described.  The last time I did this, I deleted the lines that caused the errors, all that were left were warnings but it broke something. What am I missing?

I used DSDT Editor.  I did the same with MaciASL.  Each time, I got it to compile.  However, once I saved it as an .aml file, that file had 128 errors.  I think I'm going to have to look a bit harder for a solution for you.  I'm not genius, by the way, I just use Google to find the answers.

EDIT:  It appears that RehabMan addressed these exact errors on the TonyM forum and recommended the same thing as me - delete the error lines.  

If you can compile the DSDT.aml, as I was able to do.  Try it and see if it runs, even if compiling the .aml file results in errors.  HP makes some really buggy DSDT's. BTW, had you already patched this DSDT or it is the original, extracted DSDT?

• Like 1

I used DSDT Editor.  I did the same with MaciASL.  Each time, I got it to compile.  However, once I saved it as an .aml file, that file had 128 errors.

You should not open AML files directly (it is an incorrect way to disassemble).

• Like 1

You should not open AML files directly (it is an incorrect way to disassemble).

So it's not uncommon for a .dsl file to compile correctly and, when you save the .dsl file to an .aml file, it will have errors when you compile the .aml file?  (The reason I did that, btw, was because sometimes, with DSDT Editor (as opposed to MaciASL) when you save the .aml file, it saves incorrectly.)

So it's not uncommon for a .dsl file to compile correctly and, when you save the .dsl file to an .aml file, it will have errors when you compile the .aml file?

Correct. The errors are caused by incorrect disassembly.

• Like 1

So does this look like I got everything? I was seeing different errors than what seemed to show up for you, so I want to make sure that I didn't miss anything, also I used ASL version 5, just to avoid any other possible confusion.

EDIT: Nevermind, I went through and edited my DSDT and all my SSDTs and now it's almost perfect.  The only two issues I have are that Clover doesn't play well with Windows (mouse won't work in Windows, but I also use Gentoo so I have Grub, and will use it to launch Clover), and brightness can't be controlled by the keyboard, but I almost never change brightness anyway. Thanks for the help :)

So does this look like I got everything? I was seeing different errors than what seemed to show up for you, so I want to make sure that I didn't miss anything, also I used ASL version 5, just to avoid any other possible confusion.

EDIT: Nevermind, I went through and edited my DSDT and all my SSDTs and now it's almost perfect.  The only two issues I have are that Clover doesn't play well with Windows (mouse won't work in Windows, but I also use Gentoo so I have Grub, and will use it to launch Clover), and brightness can't be controlled by the keyboard, but I almost never change brightness anyway. Thanks for the help :)

I use RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller.kext, including the plugin for the Synaptics Clickpad.  I cannot use the ps2 driver that installs with Clover and had to uncheck it and  remove it from the drivers folder.  However, you could also block the kext from loading using Clover Configurator. Without Clover's ps2 kext, I can still type in Clover's options.  I don't have the mouse enabled but I suspect that would work as well. With both RehabMan's and Clover's ps2 kexts loaded, I suffer a major loss of mouse sensitivity and accuracy.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, thanks I'll give that a shot.  Overall I think Clover looks nicer and would prefer it as the main bootloader, midi said that he had the same issue and uses Grub2 as the main bootloader for that reason.  I've tried following his steps, it seems very hit and miss though.  I've changed distros to OpenSuSe so maybe it'll work better now.

. . . brightness can't be controlled by the keyboard, but I almost never change brightness anyway. Thanks for the help :)

Try this:

https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/

I set brightness to be controlled by the F1 and F2 keys.  I would have preferred to have them controlled by the F2 and F3 keys, the way HP does it, but I can't seem to get that to work.