I've set up a VM running Mac OS High Sierra on a Ubuntu 16.04 host (VMWare). Everything works well except for connecting an iOS device (tried both iPad and iPod Touch) via USB forwarding. When the device is connected, the guest freezes for about 30 seconds. When it unfreezes, the device is visible in the device list (under the USB 2.0 hub), but software in the guest (Xcode, iTunes) do not recognize the device. Unplugging the iOS device after this point causes the device to crash and reboot. Both dmesg and system.log on the guest look clean after the freeze occurs.
I've read a number of other posts online about this issue and tried various solutions, but none have worked. Things I've tried:
1. Using USB 1.1 or 2.0 in the VM settings (instead of 3.0)
2. Enabling VM quirks mode (skip-reset, skip-refresh, skip-setconfig)
3. Upgrading the guest OS to the latest Mac OS version, and upgrading iTunes
4. Upgrading the iOS device to the latest iOS version
5. Disabling usbmuxd on the host
6. Using a different USB port and different USB cable
7. Upgrading to Workstation 14 and Unlocker 2.1.1 with latest VMWare Tools
Here are the versions of my software:
VMWare Workstation 14.1.0 (also tried 12.5.8)
iOS 11.2.1 (also tried 10.3.2)
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2 (also tried 10.13.0)
Looking for any pointers or hints anyone can provide as to what might be the problem. I'd love to dig deeper into this but I'm trying to figure out the right direction to look.
EDIT: Here is another post regarding the same issue: http://www.insanelym...device-plugged/
EDIT2: Original post was based on Workstation 12.5.8 and Unlocker 2.0.8. Have since upgraded to 14 and 2.1.1 but issue persists.