Workstation 11/12, Player 7/12, Fusion 7/8 and ESXi 6 Mac OS X Unlocker 2

Donk

691 posts in this topic

I'm trying to extend my OSX partion by booting from an USB key with iPartition (also tried Paragon HD Manager) but it will not show me the disk (spinning wheel forever)? Is this related to the Unlocker patch or do I have to look for a solution elsewhere?

Im running ESXi 6.0 and El Capitan

Env:

VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5

Windows 10 Anniversary x64

i5 6400 / Z170

Even after installing unlocker 2.0.8, my Snow Leopard (non-server) VMWare image refuses to run, complaining "The guest operating system is not Mac OS X Server. This virtual machine will power off.". (Note that it ran fine about two years ago, with an older version of unlocker and an older version of VMWare.) Could you help to comment the correct way to run Snow Leopard (non-server) under such circumstance ? The .vmx and .log are attached in case needed.

PS: After installing unlocker 2.0.8, Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks all run fine. This should suggest unlocker 2.0.8 has been installed correctly (?)

PS: If I use the wizard to create new Mac OS X, it seems that Snow Leopard (non-server) is not in the allowed list. More specifically, for 10.6 and 10.5, only Mac OS X Server is allowed. (This seems to be by design according to Bob's reply and MSoK's how-to.) Is this relevant ? For example, does unlocker 2.0.8 remove VMWare's Client/Server check for 10.6 and 10.5 ?

PS: Downloading and using efi64-srvr.rom from unlocker 2.0.3, and adding efi64.filename = "efi64-srvr.rom" to .vmx do not help here.

PS: Adding cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101" to .vmx does not help either.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard.20161007112201.zip

• Like 1

Env:

VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5

Windows 10 Anniversary x64

i5 6400 / Z170

Even after installing unlocker 2.0.8, my Snow Leopard (non-server) VMWare image refuses to run, complaining "The guest operating system is not Mac OS X Server. This virtual machine will power off.". (Note that it ran fine about two years ago, with an older version of unlocker and an older version of VMWare.) Could you help to comment the correct way to run Snow Leopard (non-server) under such circumstance ? The .vmx and .log are attached in case needed.

PS: After installing unlocker 2.0.8, Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks all run fine. This should suggest unlocker 2.0.8 has been installed correctly (?)

PS: If I use the wizard to create new Mac OS X, it seems that Snow Leopard (non-server) is not in the allowed list. More specifically, for 10.6 and 10.5, only Mac OS X Server is allowed. (This seems to be by design according to Bob's reply and MSoK's how-to.) Is this relevant ? For example, does unlocker 2.0.8 remove VMWare's Client/Server check for 10.6 and 10.5 ?

PS: Downloading and using efi64-srvr.rom from unlocker 2.0.3, and adding efi64.filename = "efi64-srvr.rom" to .vmx do not help here.

PS: Adding cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101" to .vmx does not help either.

You are correct the rom file is a degraded solution and not included in Unlocker 208, you might try the last available version in 207, but this is from a previous version of fusion so either might not work or cause instability, sorry.

There are a couple of alternative methods to disable / remove the Server check as I recall, but I do not have any links, but Google can be your friend!

You are correct the rom file is a degraded solution and not included in Unlocker 208, you might try the last available version in 207, but this is from a previous version of fusion so either might not work or cause instability, sorry.

There are a couple of alternative methods to disable / remove the Server check as I recall, but I do not have any links, but Google can be your friend!

Many thanks for your time and efforts to help !

Unfortunately, efi64-srvr.rom from unlocker 2.0.7 does not help to bypass the Server check of VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5.

As suggested here, with the help of MacDrive and VMWare's mapping drive, "/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist" is created as a copy of "/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist" in Windows 10. It seems the Server check is now passed. However, now the modified Snow Leopard (non-server) image hangs at boot. I am a bit lost here... Is it because the disk or the file system is manually edited and corrupted ? As shown in the log attached, VMWare complains "Guest: Warning: Mounting unclean HFS+ volume "Macintosh"." Or, is it still a common issue that I should keep checking ? 

If the hang is caused by the manually editing of the vmdk, can unlocker 2.0.8 be improved to remove the Server check of VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5 against 10.6 or 10.5 ? After all, last time it ran fine without requiring manipulating the file system. Furthermore, it must be better to bypass the Server check at VMWare level. Manipulating ServerVersion.plist file does not seem to work, as shown below.

Update: As suggested here, I boot in Safe Mode (relieved quite a bit !). I am now re-downloading the 10.6.8 combo update as suggested here. The combo update will not install until I remove the "/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist". After installing combo update, I restored ServerVersion.plist to pass the Server check. However, Snow Leopard stills hang at boot. Even worse, even though I can still boot in Safe Mode, the password is not recognized and I cannot log into the desktop ! Can you help me here ? :o

Mac OS X Snow Leopard.20161007174951.zip

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for this great piece of software.

Is there a torrent version/link to download?

My http download keeps failing/ corrupt missing files like:

unlocker.exe

gettools.exe

I am running Windows 10 using VMWARE 12 Pro.

I am using this link

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/download/339-unlocker/

Also is there a way to download using 

wget ??

or FTP

Thanks.

I don't understand how FTP or Torrent would help you if you have problems downloading a simple file. I just downloaded it without any problem.

Of course you can use wget, curl or whatever to download it but I doubt that this will fix your problem as these are using http as well. Are you using a proxy server or some restricted internet connection?

It could also be that you have some software blocking the download (virus scanner) or malware on your computer. It's definitely not related to the website.

I would be cautious upgrading to ESXi 6.5. I'm getting "Transport (VMDB) error -45: Failed to connect to peer process" when trying to start ANY VM with the Unlocker installed (from vCenter and the local vSphere Web Client since there's no C# client anymore). Running the Unlocker uninstall script lets non Mac VMs boot up again. Reinstalling the Unlocker (and I even did a clean install of ESXi 6.5) did not fix the error.

Maybe I'm doing something terribly wrong, but can some one else verify this?

I would be cautious upgrading to ESXi 6.5. I'm getting "Transport (VMDB) error -45: Failed to connect to peer process" when trying to start ANY VM with the Unlocker installed (from vCenter and the local vSphere Web Client since there's no C# client anymore). Running the Unlocker uninstall script lets non Mac VMs boot up again. Reinstalling the Unlocker (and I even did a clean install of ESXi 6.5) did not fix the error.

Yes! I updated ESXI 6.0 to 6.5 and had the "Transport (VMDB) error -45: Failed to connect to peer process" issue. Subsequently, I have rolled back to ESXI 6.0.

My intention was to do a fresh install of ESXI 6.5; but Rubyducky's experience suggests that that would be futile.

I don't understand how FTP or Torrent would help you if you have problems downloading a simple file. I just downloaded it without any problem.

Of course you can use wget, curl or whatever to download it but I doubt that this will fix your problem as these are using http as well. Are you using a proxy server or some restricted internet connection?

It could also be that you have some software blocking the download (virus scanner) or malware on your computer. It's definitely not related to the website.

Did i offend you in any way??

Just because you did not have a problem downloading it does not mean other people did not have issues.

wget requires username and password for session info. Also the link is not to a file directly, but a redirect.

I just shared my opinion with you as this is clearly a problem on your end. Also I have given you some recommendations and raised some questions which you've decided to ignore.

Don't blame me for you not being willing or able to check my feedback. Nobody else here has issues downloading the file.

ignorance is bliss

Unlocker may need a small change for ESXi 6.5. I will work on it this weekend.

ignorance is bliss

No idea what is wrong for you but it works for many others as over 750K downloads from this site. However I also have it on my website as per first post in the thread. http://www.daveparsons.net/downloads/unlocker208.zip.

• Like 2

Unlocker may need a small change for ESXi 6.5. I will work on it this weekend.

No idea what is wrong for you but it works for many others as over 750K downloads from this site. However I also have it on my website as per first post in the thread. http://www.daveparsons.net/downloads/unlocker208.zip.

Thanks so much! Looking forward to the new release. FWIW, the fix that allowed vCenter to start VMs appears to no longer work with vCenter 6.5 as well. It errors out with "darwin64 guest OS is not supported" before (or instead of) hitting the Transport VMDB error -45.

Thanks so much! Looking forward to the new release. FWIW, the fix that allowed vCenter to start VMs appears to no longer work with vCenter 6.5 as well. It errors out with "darwin64 guest OS is not supported" before (or instead of) hitting the Transport VMDB error -45.

Yes that is the thing I need to fix. There are now 32-bit and 64-bit version of the code that need patching. I was waiting for the GA version to ensure all was with the code which is written but needs testing. Have work commitments so will have to be the weekend for testing.

Yes! I updated ESXI 6.0 to 6.5 and had the "Transport (VMDB) error -45: Failed to connect to peer process" issue. Subsequently, I have rolled back to ESXI 6.0.

My intention was to do a fresh install of ESXI 6.5; but Rubyducky's experience suggests that that would be futile.

I'm getting the exact same thing on my Upgrade and Fresh Install of 6.5, I wasn't sure if it was related to the unlocker, Weird that on a fresh install it still does it, I didn't think the unlocker modified the VM, just the host.

I'm getting the exact same thing on my Upgrade and Fresh Install of 6.5, I wasn't sure if it was related to the unlocker, Weird that on a fresh install it still does it, I didn't think the unlocker modified the VM, just the host.

I have to make a change to the unlocker. Do not use ESXi 6.5 with vSphere at the moment.

Yes that is the thing I need to fix. There are now 32-bit and 64-bit version of the code that need patching. I was waiting for the GA version to ensure all was with the code which is written but needs testing. Have work commitments so will have to be the weekend for testing.

Donk,

Let me know if I can test anything ahead of general release.

Regards,

MSoK.