HWMonitor.app wants to connect to Paypalobjects.com

hipunk

4 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

it's been a long time since I've been here but anyway, nobody cares I guess. :D

2 Days ago I booted up a backup of one of my Mavericks installations of my hack.
As I am a very data conscious user, I have Little Snitch installed. It's a really good firewall made for (Mac) OS X, in my eyes a must have for every Mac user.

As the boot process was nearly completed, Little Snitch showed me that HWMonitor.app wanted to connect to paypalobjects.com.

This is really odd, as this Application doesn't seem to have any PayPal donate button or something similar. Sadly, I was too baffled and didn't make a screenshot of the Little Snitch alert.
However, I have a screenshot of my settings, this is no evidence as one can easily make those rules by hand, but still.
Why should I lie? I have no competitional websites nor softwares in the hackintosh scene (I'm just saying this, because of the controversy between the person mentioned below and other devs).

I wanted to reproduce this behaviour, but it hasn't happened to me again.

Do you guys know what's going on here? Have you encountered this before?

I could not find anything on the web.

I installed the HWMonitor.app with the FakeSMC apps with one of Phonymacs postinstall packages. It was M ultibeas t, this has to be typed out as this is potential(!) malware.

I already removed this software from my machine as I really don't want ANY communication between an Application that monitors temperatures of my hardware to ANYONE.
If people choose to send all their data (roomtemperatures, health data, etc. pp. the industry never sleeps to become more creepy...) to someone even though they don't know what happens next, then that's not my problem - I don't want that.

Please tell me your thoughts on this and please write here if you noticed this too!

Greetings,

hipunk

post-139728-0-64899900-1418433337_thumb.png

• Like 1

I believe HWMonitor shows a Paypal button in the update popup and it's been updated recently a couple of times, so that would explain the connection to Paypal. And if you want to make sure the app hasn't been tampered with just get it directly from the developer instead.

On 12/12/2014, HWMonitor tried to establish a connection to www.paypalobjects.com on port 443 (https). The request was allowed via connection alert.

And AFAIK nothing is being uploaded, the only connections it stablished were to paypalobjects.com for the button and hwsensors.com for updates.

• Like 1

I believe HWMonitor shows a Paypal button in the update popup and it's been updated recently a couple of times, so that would explain the connection to Paypal.

Ah! That could really make sense! Oddly, no update dialog was shown, but still, I do remember the PayPal button in the update notices I got so far.

Thank you very much for replying!

Hmm, I guess I will reinstall it again then, but when the connection attempt reoccures, I will deny it.