Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

I agree. But if for a moment we forget about gfx problem then as far as sleep goes, its perfect no problem at all with sleep! it works as it should. But the reason i am not putting my laptop to sleep is i am afraid that the gfx issue would have adverse effects on LCD ....

Yep I know the sleep is working fine long before I wrote this guide. I say it is broken just because the gfx issue after wake from sleep which will make me stay away from sleep as you do.

Let's go ahead and see ...

Hello, Thanks for your awesome guide. I have this issue, whenever I restart I lose the display completely. I have to manually (force) shutdown the laptop and power it on again to get things working. Any solution to this.

Also AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is not loaded, is it normal or there is some fix to it

Thanks

Hello, Thanks for your awesome guide. I have this issue, whenever I restart I lose the display completely. I have to manually (force) shutdown the laptop and power it on again to get things working. Any solution to this.....

That is a bug on our laptop and happens whenever you put display to sleep or off in OS X and then try to restart. If you did not put your display to sleep or off and still its happening then something else is wrong.

....Also AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is not loaded, is it normal or there is some fix to it....

It's normal. Check if p-states are generated using AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext or DPCIManager.

Thanks for the help,

I think P-States are generated DPCIManager shows me

P States: 8, 17, 24, 26, 29, 30, 31, 32

One more thing, I am currently using Clover r2953, but when I use r3193 it just shows me an '_' sign with a black background and not even the boot menu shows up. Any methods to fix this

Thanks

Thanks for the help,

I think P-States are generated DPCIManager shows me

P States: 8, 17, 24, 26, 29, 30, 31, 32

Good. That means native speedstep is working.

.....One more thing, I am currently using Clover r2953, but when I use r3193 it just shows me an '_' sign with a black background and not even the boot menu shows up. Any methods to fix this....

I think your config.plist is not properly configured. Attach you config.plist here.

P.S I updated to 3193 without any problems. But here's a checklist to follow after updating clover (folder-wise):

1. Check if ACPI/patched/*.aml exists
  2. If you have VBoxHFS-64.efi in drivers64UEFI folder either remove it or disable it from "Disable Drivers" section in config.plist and add HFSPlus-64.efi (IMP).
  3. Make sure needed kexts exists in kexts/10.10/
  4. Final and most imp one, check your config.plist

EDIT : by "_" did you mean cursor?

@intruder16
I have been thinking about the graphics issue and the ideas you have been working on ...

1. DVMT pre-alloc in BIOS does not help.
2. Manually editing framebuffer does not either.

As far as I understand, both are not what we want. The gradients appears continuously but very unnoticeable until display is sent to sleep or turn off but you know all that. Since OS X with current Intel drivers and patches is able to produce fine graphics even with the unnoticeable gradients then no point of tinkering with the hardware (DVMT pre-alloc) and also no need to edit the framebuffer because the current one does work fine as long as the display is kept awake. I think what we need to look into is:

• What happens when the display goes off and on?
  • Why the display driver does not re-initialise correctly? and,
  • What is the relation between graphic driver (or issue) and restart functionality?

All these questions have to be answered knowing that without display off/on the driver is working almost flawlessly and all these symptoms are not there. But again, you know all this already.

Two ideas where there may be a fix (searched a lot on forums and this will fix most of the issues)

1. Using custom EDID (especially gradients)
2. Dumped intel registars in linux, windows and mac. I have to study them (it'll take some time i have no idea).

Again, I think the first method is not what we want. The other one might be a good direction to investigate. But still I want to figure out the answers of the questions above instead of trying things while the problem may be in totally different area.

Off-topic: As a workaround, I ordered an ultrabay caddy and planning to buy an SSD to replace my HDD. The HDD will move to the caddy to be for data storage only and the ultrabay graphics card will be kept away unless there's a game that could use it or some CUDA work. This way, I will diverge from looking into sleep problem to use hibernation instead. I have no idea of using hibernation in hacintosh yet but let's hope it works and it forces drivers re-initialisation or else the same issue will persist!

Right. I now think even custom EDID won't help. Found some interesting posts about the same "bands" we are having but they are all driver issues.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro2-surfhardware/severe-banding-and-dark-greys-display-as-black/7231991c-ec39-4136-a927-1313857b4207?page=1&tm=1427386766134

https://askubuntu.com/questions/210810/banding-with-intel-hd-4000

I was reading Intel PRM from here to know more about these display off/on process.

EDIT: hibernating is not that difficult. You'll need the following:

• OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi (experimental/might be unstable but required - without this no hibernation)
  • find out the best hibernatemode value, eg. 29, 21 etc (think sudo pmset -a hibernatemode)
  • slide=100
  • and remove this file coz it may get corrupted while testing diff values "sudo rm -rf /private/var/vm/sleepimage"

Right. I now think even custom EDID won't help. Found some interesting posts about the same "bands" we are having but they are all driver issues.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro2-surfhardware/severe-banding-and-dark-greys-display-as-black/7231991c-ec39-4136-a927-1313857b4207?page=1&tm=1427386766134

https://askubuntu.com/questions/210810/banding-with-intel-hd-4000

I was reading Intel PRM from here to know more about these display off/on process.

I will take a look and report back.

EDIT: hibernating is not that difficult. You'll need the following:

• OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi (experimental/might be unstable but required - without this no hibernation)
  • find out the best hibernatemode value, eg. 29, 21 etc (think sudo pmset -a hibernatemode)
  • slide=100
  • and remove this file coz it may get corrupted while testing diff values "sudo rm -rf /private/var/vm/sleepimage"

Good info. I was able to hibernate without most of these settings but was not able to boot from the hibernated image. Choosing to cancel hibernate from Clover booted OS X normally and all opened applications and files from last session re-opened again even un-saved files. I think this is related to OS X it self and not to hibernation or sleep, but it is a good thing. Now with an SSD to boot from, loading the OS and all files should be almost instant and reduces the need for sleep.

Update: I used OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi with slide=100 and the system woke from hibernate with so damn {censored} graphics, need to investigate more!

Of course you will have to try different values for both "hibernatemode" and "slide". In my notes, most used values for hibernatemode are 21, 23, 29, 53, 117, 181, 245. Also try the values lesser than 53, above that will cause issues i think (not sure). 

.....Update: I used OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi with slide=100 and the system woke from hibernate with so damn {censored} graphics, need to investigate more!

Oh. Try diff values then.

BTW i recieved a hdd caddy just a week back and i added my old 500 gig hd to it. Sadly i dont have any SSD's. I will probably buy a M2 SSD soon. Also i ordered Broadcom BCM94352HMB AW-CE123H to replace this {censored} usb wifi.

BTW i recieved a hdd caddy just a week back and i added my old 500 gig hd to it. Sadly i dont have any SSD's. I will probably buy a M2 SSD soon. Also i ordered Broadcom BCM94352HMB AW-CE123H to replace this {censored} usb wifi.

I have been in the dilemma of getting SSD or M2 NGFF for a couple of weeks. But I think an SSD is a better value because, for example, a Samsung 250GB 850 EVO is worth £85 while a Transcend 2242 256 GB SSD (M2 NGFF) is worth £95. And yet, the 850 EVO is way faster than Transcend especially in writing and produce less heat. Also the SSD is transferable to any modern desktop or notebook while the NGFF is not. That's why I think SSD is a better value of course if you still have a slot for it.

Congrats for your new caddy and the upcoming Wifi, it will be better than the usb of course.

True that. M2 ssds have {censored} writing speeds except for Adata Premier Pro SP900 but it has issues with y510p (only detects in legacy mode). I'll go for a EVO most probably.

Thanks. I hope the wifi survives future updates too.

Thanks. I hope the wifi survives future updates too.

I hope so, it would be a bummer otherwise.

This is the display after waking from hibernate (slide=100, hibernatemode=29):

IMAG0016.jpg

However, logging out then back in I find the graphics works very fine as usual without gradients and restart works correctly. 

There might be a fix somewhere. You'll have to search for it. I've never tried hibernating.

There might but I will not search. I forgot that this deep hibernate will copy whatever is on RAM to disk drive. Since I'm going to upgrade to SSD, with its limited writable lifespan, I think hibernate is a totally wrong choice.

Oh yea ... but I don't think it is that bad to just shutdown instead of sleep. Since all apps will load and open the same files from previous session the same like with sleep it should be fine. The difference is waking from sleep is instant vs few seconds to boot OS X on SSD. And no need to reopen apps with sleep vs a couple of seconds to load apps again. So either fix sleep issue or give OS X around 15 seconds from cold boot to get you ready. The latter is not ideal but not bad at all is it?

I think your config.plist is not properly configured. Attach you config.plist here.

P.S I updated to 3193 without any problems. But here's a checklist to follow after updating clover (folder-wise):

2. If you have VBoxHFS-64.efi in drivers64UEFI folder either remove it or disable it from "Disable Drivers" section in config.plist and add HFSPlus-64.efi (IMP).

Here is my config.plist 

I have installed the follwing in driver64UEFI folder

EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
HFSPlus-64.efi
OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi
PartitionDxe-64.efi

It is still stuck at '_' or cursor

Here's a screen of it

Uugdi8D.jpg

config.plist.zip

....Here is my config.plist....

Your config.plist is so corrupt. Do not use text editor to edit .plist files.

Either use PlistEditPro or Xcode. Or for newbies use Clover Configurator.

Also following changes i did in you config.plist:

1. Added "SortOrder" (important to specify SSDT-x.aml for correct loading in order)
  2. Added "DropOem" to "true" (must have if you use patched DSDT tables)
  3. "theme" uder GUI to "bootcamp" (you had "YosemiteLogin" don't know if its a theme)
  4. Fixed a syntax error in KextToPatch section.

Keep in mind while installing clover, remember to change to "Install for UEFI". Try the attached config.plist

PS. Always follow the steps given in the OP.

@Ahmed:

You can change the SMBIOS under section "Installing Yosemite" from 11,1 to 11,2. Also, under wrapping up change 2 and fix 3.

config.plist.zip

@Ahmed:

You can change the SMBIOS under section "Installing Yosemite" from 11,1 to 11,2. Also, under wrapping up change 2 and fix 3.

I understand that MBP 11,2 appears to be more compatible especially for those who wants Intel graphics only. I will add MBP 11,2 but I will keep MBP 11,1 too because it works fine. Actually, using MBP 11,2 results in small lag (one second or so) for VoodooPS2Controller.kext on log screen or inside if auto-log is enabled. This lag cannot be reproduced with MBP 11,1 or iMac 14,2. I don't know if this small lag happens only on my machine or others can feel it too with MBP 11,2.

....using MBP 11,2 results in small lag (one second or so) for VoodooPS2Controller.kext on log screen or inside if auto-log is enabled. This lag cannot be reproduced with MBP 11,1 or iMac 14,2. I don't know if this small lag happens only on my machine or others can feel it too with MBP 11,2.

Does not happen with me. But again i don't use VoodooPS2. Might be a vodoo specific problem. Anybody can confirm?

Your config.plist is so corrupt. Do not use text editor to edit .plist files.

Either use PlistEditPro or Xcode. Or for newbies use Clover Configurator.

Also following changes i did in you config.plist:

1. Added "SortOrder" (important to specify SSDT-x.aml for correct loading in order)
  2. Added "DropOem" to "true" (must have if you use patched DSDT tables)
  3. "theme" uder GUI to "bootcamp" (you had "YosemiteLogin" don't know if its a theme)
  4. Fixed a syntax error in KextToPatch section.

Keep in mind while installing clover, remember to change to "Install for UEFI". Try the attached config.plist

PS. Always follow the steps given in the OP.

I did it, and it boots, thanks

New poblem :P

If I keep DropOEM to true, I lose the display (everything becomes laggy)

Also Brightness slider is not working, I followed steps in the OP

....If I keep DropOEM to true, I lose the display (everything becomes laggy)

Also Brightness slider is not working, I followed steps in the OP....

For proper display working (with brightness), follow these steps:

1. (*)Patch DSDT and SSDT tables
  2. Install ACPIBacklight.kext, FakePCIID.kext, FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400 and FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext (as name suggests this one is for hdmi audio)
  3. Clover config.plist -> Under "Devices", FakeID -> "IntelGFX" to -> 0x04128086
  4. Under "Graphics", check "Inject Intel", ig-platform-id to "0x0a260006"
  5. Under "Kext patches" refer OP.
  6. Rebuild cache
  7. Reboot

(*) I DO NOT recommend using DSDT/SSDT's from another pc. Patch your own tables. For those who do not know how to patch, i already created a script to auto-patch ACPI tables. For more info refer here.

PS. If you use my script to patch DSDT, you do not need to follow steps 3 and 4. Those properties are added to DSDT automatically by script.

For proper display working (with brightness), follow these steps:

1. (*)Patch DSDT and SSDT tables
  2. Install ACPIBacklight.kext, FakePCIID.kext, FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400 and FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext (as name suggests this one is for hdmi audio)
  3. Clover config.plist -> Under "Devices", FakeID -> "IntelGFX" to -> 0x04128086
  4. Under "Graphics", check "Inject Intel", ig-platform-id to "0x0a260006"
  5. Under "Kext patches" refer OP.
  6. Rebuild cache
  7. Reboot

(*) I DO NOT recommend using DSDT/SSDT's from another pc. Patch your own tables. For those who do not know how to patch, i already created a script to auto-patch ACPI tables. For more info refer here.

PS. If you use my script to patch DSDT, you do not need to follow steps 3 and 4. Those properties are added to DSDT automatically by script.

I followd your post, by dropping all tables from CLOVER and patching them with your script now when I drop OEM I get the following kernel panic

6mW4xSi.jpg

Please help!!!

Thanks