Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

How to check if its working correctly? I followed the guide step by step, I am assuming its working correctly

I'm currently away from my pc so I will look into the files later today. To check if you have proper cpu power management, take a look into this:https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/AppleIntelInfo/blob/master/README.md. Run the kext as instructions and look in the log for CStates and see whether you have enough steps.

Update:

I toke a look and I can see you did not patch USB to remove _PRW methods in your DSDT. This is important as USB devices used to make all sort of problems with sleep. Patch your DSDT.dsl using MaciASL with this patch and test sleep: usb.txt.

I'm currently away from my pc so I will look into the files later today. To check if you have proper cpu power management, take a look into this:https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/AppleIntelInfo/blob/master/README.md. Run the kext as instructions and look in the log for CStates and see whether you have enough steps.

Update:

I toke a look and I can see you did not patch USB to remove _PRW methods in your DSDT. This is important as USB devices used to make all sort of problems with sleep. Patch your DSDT.dsl using MaciASL with this patch and test sleep: attachicon.gifusb.txt.

Unfortunately no success. I have attached my DSDT patched and dropped one (untouched), if its of any help.

Also I am not using ACPIBacklight.kext as it is apparently breaking my brightness and 9mb cursor patch (if it has to do anything with sleep)

Thanks!

ACPI.zip

Unfortunately no success. I have attached my DSDT patched and dropped one (untouched), if its of any help.

Please post the untouched SSDT's as well. 

Also I am not using ACPIBacklight.kext as it is apparently breaking my brightness and 9mb cursor patch (if it has to do anything with sleep)

I had a problem earlier with brightness not working but with the latest PNLF patch from Rehabman's laptop patches repository this got fixed. I have no problem with the 9mp cursor patch nor does this kext affect sleep in any way.

I deleted it. I will post the untouched ssdt shortly. The above zip contains compiled ssdts if that's of any use

Yes they were patched. I need to take a look on your ACPI tables because yours is really different than mine.

Sorry for the trouble. Here you go attachicon.gifACPI-untouched-Clover.zip

Yes this seems correct. Now my native DSDT and yours are identical. Now you should patch these (untouched) tables of yours from scratch. It seems the way you extracted the tables before was not correct.

Try these patched files .. make sure to correctly set SortedOrder in ACPI section of config.plist.

Archive.zip

I don't think it's still sleeping. I pressed sleep and display went off and it restarted after some time.

I am using your patched ACPI files

Believe me when I tell you it did not sleep without those tables too according to the log output you sent. But at least now I know you have the correctly patched ACPI tables so we should look somewhere else. Do these:

1. Try sleep again and after reboot send me the output of the same command as before.
  2. Tell me which kexts are you installed in /S/L/E.
  3. Does AppleLPC.kext still loads?
  4. Zip and post your CLOVER folder .. wanna take a look.

Believe me when I tell you it did not sleep without those tables too according to the log output you sent. But at least now I know you have the correctly patched ACPI tables so we should look somewhere else. Do these:

1. Try sleep again and after reboot send me the output of the same command as before.
  2. Tell me which kexts are you installed in /S/L/E.
  3. Does AppleLPC.kext still loads?
  4. Zip and post your CLOVER folder .. wanna take a look.

1. pmset.log.zip

2. kext_list.txt.zip

3. kext_stat.txt.zip

4. CLOVER.zip

I can see your laptop does enter sleep mode now:

2015-10-18 13:52:20 +0530 Sleep               	Entering Sleep state due to 'Software Sleep pid=90': Using Batt (Charge:98%) 

However, I still don't know the reason for it to misbehave and break out sleeping. I have few notes though:

1. You are splitting your kexts between /S/L/E and Clover/kexts/10.11  --->  Yes some kexts may work from Clover but it is always advised against. I have been told many times that kexts in Clover are only meant to boot into recovery partition but for the main setup they should be installed in /S/L/E. I have also encountered some kexts that do not work properly if installed in CLOVER against their behaviour if installed in /S/L/E. In summary, Install ALL kexts into /S/L/E.
  2. I believe you need these kexts as well (AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext, FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext, FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, CodecCommander.kext)
  3. I checked the drivers64UEFI you are using in Clover and I believe these two are missing:DataHubDxe-64.efi and OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi. I also don't know why you installed NTFS.efi driver.
  4. Your config.plist is a mess. For example, these boot-args: nv_disable=1 -gux_defer_usb2 kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0 are all not needed and you should remove them. I can list some other things to fix in config.plist but you should instead do the following:
    1. Download and install recent Clover version
    2. Download 10.11 config.plist from the downloads section in the guide
    3. Configure the config.plist by adding SMBIOS and any other thing you want to customise

If all that failed, hopefully not, do a clean install.

I can see your laptop does enter sleep mode now:

2015-10-18 13:52:20 +0530 Sleep               	Entering Sleep state due to 'Software Sleep pid=90': Using Batt (Charge:98%)
However, I still don't know the reason for it to misbehave and break out sleeping. I have few notes though:
  • You are splitting your kexts between /S/L/E and Clover/kexts/10.11 ---> Yes some kexts may work from Clover but it is always advised against. I have been told many times that kexts in Clover are only meant to boot into recovery partition but for the main setup they should be installed in /S/L/E. I have also encountered some kexts that do not work properly if installed in CLOVER against their behaviour if installed in /S/L/E. In summary, Install ALL kexts into /S/L/E.
  • I believe you need these kexts as well (AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext, FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext, FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, CodecCommander.kext)
  • I checked the drivers64UEFI you are using in Clover and I believe these two are missing:DataHubDxe-64.efi and OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi. I also don't know why you installed NTFS.efi driver.
  • Your config.plist is a mess. For example, these boot-args: nv_disable=1 -gux_defer_usb2 kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0 are all not needed and you should remove them. I can list some other things to fix in config.plist but you should instead do the following:
  • Download and install recent Clover version
  • Download 10.11 config.plist from the downloads section in the guide
  • Configure the config.plist by adding SMBIOS and any other thing you want to customise
If all that failed, hopefully not, do a clean install.
Followed everything finally it did go to sleep

Hurray!!

Thanks for all the help

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have been spending my weekends and most of today trying to get the installation running on my Y510p.

At my latest attempt, I am:

a. Using

/Applications/Install OS X Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volumes /Volume/A --applicationpath "/Applications/Install OS X Yosemite.app

to create the installation disk.

b. Once done, I run Clover EFI Bootloader r2999 and followed the instructions provided.

c. Then I download the config.plist from the link below

• Yosemite 10.10: Link

d. I load this config.plist, and edit the following:

i. SortedList - SSDT.aml and SSDT-0.aml (I only generated these and DSDT.aml with intruder16's DSDT github patchomatic program)

ii. KernelandKextPatches -> Debug

iii. Boot -> Debug

iv. SMBIOS -> Selected MacBookPro11,1

v. Boot -> Arguments -> <following the list provided in the instructions on page 1 of this topic>

e. When I run this on my macbook, I could get to the Clover boot screen with only the USB drive indicated.  I have formatted the HDD with linux, but they do not show up on the clover boot screen. *should I be concerned?*

f. When I click on the USB drive to start installation, I get rather verbose messages, and hopefully I can attach it.

g. The last message I get before the system reboots is

Patching kernel for injected kexts

==> kernel Yosemite: 1 replaces done.

Pausing 5 secs ...

h. I have been trying this booting with El Capitan many times, failing miserably.

My Clover attached.  It contains the DSDT origin and patched in the ACPI directory, and config.plist that I had configured.  Any help will be appreciated.

clover-stlim-20151026.zip

My video of the boot sequence that does not seem to be working.

3C1FC2CC-907B-42D8-B450-CC6200574F4B_HQ.zip

I have been spending my weekends and most of today trying to get the installation running on my Y510p.

Hi, I will put some notes that may/should help you:

1. I see you mention MacBook! I hope this is by mistake because the guide is for Y510p as you know already. Unless you are referring to your Y510p as a MacBook then fine!
  2. Make sure you let us know which version of OS X you are actually after .. at one point you mentioned Yosemite but before the end you mentioned El Capitan.
  3. I believe you were not able to start the installation yet so the problems are with preparation and creating USB installer.
  4. Problems with HDD formatting? refer to parts "2. Preparing a Partition for OS X" and "3. Increasing EFI Partition Size" of the guide.
  5. Refer to part "4. Preparing OS X USB Installer" in the first page of this guide. I did not use the Terminal command you quoted because most of the time it did not work for me (although other people assume it is OK). Stick to the guide to get better advice/support.
  6. For the USB installer, we do NOT need any patched ACPI tables. I checked the guide and I saw the SortedOrder thing was mentioned in USB creation but it was not correct. I meant to put it after installation but mistakenly put it in wrong location (fixed now).
  7. Just a side note: when you install OS X successfully and able to boot from your HDD, you will need at least 3 SSDTs in addition to 1 DSDT:
    1. SSDT.aml: this one is for CPU power management
    2. SSDT-0.aml: contains the instructions for Intel GPU (I prefer naming it SSDT-6.aml and it is needed to have correct graphics and brightness control)
    3. SSDT-1.aml: contains the instructions for Nvidia GPU (I prefer naming it SSDT-7.aml and we need it to disable Optimus)

I hope these notes help you.

Hi, I will put some notes that may/should help you:

• I see you mention MacBook! I hope this is by mistake because the guide is for Y510p as you know already. Unless you are referring to your Y510p as a MacBook then fine!

My mistake. I am trying to install macosx on my y510p so am calling it my macbook.

• Make sure you let us know which version of OS X you are actually after .. at one point you mentioned Yosemite but before the end you mentioned El Capitan.

I started by using the latest version of clover which is r39xx before i saw that you were supposed to use r2999. My weekends were spent trying to get el capitan running, and i thought i should just try yosemite after failing to boot elcapitan so many times. My preferred state is to use elcapitan

• I believe you were not able to start the installation yet so the problems are with preparation and creating USB installer.

Nope. Not at all. I don't quite know why. The bios for using uma instead of discrete graphics has been disabled. I have also set my bios to optimized defaults which disabled the intel vt-x and deep s3 etc options.

• Problems with HDD formatting? refer to parts "2. Preparing a Partition for OS X" and "3. Increasing EFI Partition Size" of the guide.

Should i be able to see the hdd in the clover boot screen? I have formatted the hdd with my linux boot usb, so i assume everything is shipshape.

• Refer to part "4. Preparing OS X USB Installer" in the first page of this guide. I did not use the Terminal command you quoted because most of the time it did not work for me (although other people assume it is OK). Stick to the guide to get better advice/support.

I will try again later

• For the USB installer, we do NOT need any patched ACPI tables. I checked the guide and I saw the SortedOrder thing was mentioned in USB creation but it was not correct. I meant to put it after installation but mistakenly put it in wrong location (fixed now).

Oh dear. But the sample config.plist file you provided links for has the sortedorder. Does this mean i should not provide the dsdt?

• Just a side note: when you install OS X successfully and able to boot from your HDD, you will need at least 3 SSDTs in addition to 1 DSDT:

• SSDT.aml: this one is for CPU power management
  • SSDT-0.aml: contains the instructions for Intel GPU (I prefer naming it SSDT-6.aml and it is needed to have correct graphics and brightness control)
  • SSDT-1.aml: contains the instructions for Nvidia GPU (I prefer naming it SSDT-7.aml and we need it to disable Optimus)

Let me try to get there first.

I hope these notes help you.

@st_lim :

The attached config.plist in the guide is only for installed system and NOT for the USB installer. As a step to save you time, here is a link to the EFI folder for USB installer: https://mega.nz/#!gdEBCCxC!6F_GcWDnO_Iv5cp3KLmttEyw-SUVihB_ccQRmFDKBdQ .Just create the USB installer as in the guide but stop before installing Clover on it. Download the linked file and unzip it. Copy the resulting EFI folder to the hidden EFI partition on the USB.

You should see some/all partitions of your HDD in Clover depending on config.plist options enabled. Make sure to follow the guide and prepare a partition in a format that OS X recognizes.

• Like 1