Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

For any of you who want patched AppleHDA (for 10.10.3) for any other reason, i've updated it. I would still recommend DummyHDA though.

Updated AppleHDA (272.18) for 10.10.3 (14D131) you can find here. Thanks!

For future updates to patched AppleHDA.kext visit here. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/372-applehda-for-alc282/

Hey Guys. I just wanted to know. What is current status on installing OS X on Y510P?

Any progress on Nvidia card(s)?

Ram works perfectly?

Any geekbench?

I'm thinking on installing OS X on my Y510P to check out, but should i wait or?

Thanks a lot.

Hey Guys. I just wanted to know. What is current status on installing OS X on Y510P?....

Read post #1. All information you are looking for is there.

Regarding GeekBench refer attachment.

@Ahmed:

It would be better if you clean up "Wrapping Up" section a bit. Add "Working" and "Non-working" under. In non-working add points then describe them. Like, 

• Intel Gfx Problem : (description)
  • Wake on Lid Open : (description)

Its better to read this way and remove those fixed. These are the only non-working things IMO.

Also, i think it would be better to remove "sleep" from not-working. 

Just my 2 cents.

Geekbench.gb3.zip

@Ahmed:

It would be better if you clean up "Wrapping Up" section a bit. Add "Working" and "Non-working" under. In non-working add points then describe them. Like, 

• Intel Gfx Problem : (description)
  • Wake on Lid Open : (description)

Its better to read this way and remove those fixed. These are the only non-working things IMO.

Also, i think it would be better to remove "sleep" from not-working. 

Just my 2 cents.

Hi. I was about to respond about the status of OS X on this laptop but preferred to add a working / not working section first then you beat me on this. I agree on what you proposed and will do it.

Just was wondering why your geekbench values are noticeably higher than mine with regards to memory. I find around 1000 or more difference comparing mine to yours even after changing SMBIOS to MBP11,2 to have a matching. One thing I can think of is the amount of RAM as you have one 8GB (single channel) and I have one 8GB + one 4GB (not dual channel I suppose). I think the situation I have made an impact on this because I read in the past it is optimal to have both memory stick the same to have the best of dual channelling.

ahmed.gb3.zip

Hi. I was about to respond about the status of OS X on this laptop but preferred to add a working / not working section first then you beat me on this. I agree on what you proposed and will do it.

Just was wondering why your geekbench values are noticeably higher than mine with regards to memory. I find around 1000 or more difference comparing mine to yours even after changing SMBIOS to MBP11,2 to have a matching. One thing I can think of is the amount of RAM as you have one 8GB (single channel) and I have one 8GB + one 4GB (not dual channel I suppose). I think the situation I have made an impact on this because I read in the past it is optimal to have both memory stick the same to have the best of dual channelling.

I have no idea. Try running without any apps (in idle). I will try to reach 13k.  :P

It seems that was the case actually. The way my memory sticks are put is the reason and I believe if I removed the 4GB stick (or replaced it with another 8GB one exactly like the one I have) the performance will be better. Not a big deal anyway  :)

So far i've tried almost everything regarding USB issue, but no real results yet. 'll play with DSDT and see what happens.

Any progress with intel gfx issue?

PS. I think the USB fix (clover) is not required. USB works fine after sleep. Please test.

Any progress with intel gfx issue?

Not yet. I'm searching around the graphic changes when resolution is changed. I'm trying to get some logs from Windows but can't find something helpful. Maybe I will install Linux and get from there.

Not yet. I'm searching around the graphic changes when resolution is changed. I'm trying to get some logs from Windows but can't find something helpful. Maybe I will install Linux and get from there.

There are problems with our gfx in Linux too. Graphics distortion on boot etc. Good to start from there.

I am not able to download attachment from reply anyone know's why??

I want to enable Apple HDA on my lenovo y510p can some guide me and pls don't add Attachment Instead upload it on Mega and Share the Link At least We are able to download it from There

EDit I did what you said in that Forum But not Sucess I Still Cant get the sound

Guide updated. Change-log:

• 10/04/2015
    • Added What's working and What's does not section
    • Some cleanups and rearrangements

PS: is there a problem with Enabling AppleHDA section in the guide? this is the second complain about following this section and failing to get it working. Either there is something missing, it is too complex for average user, or you guys are doing something wrong.

• 10/04/2015
    • Added What's working and What's does not section
    • Some cleanups and rearrangements

PS: is there a problem with Enabling AppleHDA section in the guide? this is the second complain about following this section and failing to get it working. Either there is something missing, it is too complex for average user, or you guys are doing something wrong.

I think you should also add a link to patched AppleHDA just in case. Seems to work for everyone. Here's the link.

Or 

on a second thought just keep the link i posted and remove everything else. I'll be updating that part more frequently instead of posting here.

I think you should also add a link to patched AppleHDA just in case. Seems to work for everyone. Here's the link.

I will as long as people are happy with it. Still I'm curious what is wrong with the method you made yourself and I documented here? I use the method mentioned here in the guide in it works very well here. I want to know what the problem is instead of just finding alternative ways. 

I will as long as people are happy with it. Still I'm curious what is wrong with the method you made yourself and I documented here? I use the method mentioned here in the guide in it works very well here. I want to know what the problem is instead of just finding alternative ways. 

That i've no idea of. I think both (your guide's) and mine attached are same kexts. And moreover they both work!

I see that you removed AppleHDA and kept only the Dummy one. I think people are not comfortable (or may be some other reason) with Dummy method. That's why i asked you to remove it. They still will have that option from my downloads section. If they want they can use it. It's there choice. For ex. even i use patched AppleHDA not the Dummy one.

Do you have a reason for this part from self preference? I think you wrote yourself that it is not the recommended way.

No "major" reason actually. Totally my choice due to various reasons. It depends on the end user how he like's it.

For me i don't update to "betas". So i've to use it until new major update comes which'll take atleast a month. So why would i add extra kexts? Not to mention extra "Kext patches". I'll try to keep hacks minimum, right?

DummyHDA -> Kext + Patch

AppleHDA    -> Kext only

The best thing out of all this is, since i'll be using patched kext, i'll update it right away if new update comes. No waiting.

I hope you get what i'm trying to say here.

EDIT: I said it is not recommended is because if you install Dummy one, you'll just have to just install it and forget about the whole audio problem.

I also prefer to inject audio and gfx properties in DSDT. Not clover (which btw is very flexible).

All the above changes i've actually done just day before yesterday. I was thinking of adding kexts in S/L/E instead of injection through Clover. So i went ahead and changed some other things too.

BTW, I might change back to using DummyHDA too (depends on my mood)  :P  :D

EDIT2: Sorry, i've got this bad habit of editing after posting stuff. Hope you refresh.

As for myself, I don't mind additional kext as long as it will not keep me waiting for other good guys to provide me with an update. Consider if you ditched your Y510P for whatever reason you may not have any interest to update the kext any more. 

After a second thought, I think there are no preference here. Both methods seems to me not update-safe after all. I say this because if Apple made changes in AppleHDA binary then new binary patch may be required. For the method of patched AppleHDA this will be a direct patch and for the other method using DummyHDA there will be a need for updated Clover patches to AppleHDA. The only advantage of using DummyHDA method is that a newer AppleHDA will not overwrite the codecs since they are not stored in that kext and that will be all.

So my two cents here, people should use whatever works for them AND learn something so they are not so dependent. So keep doing what you are doing and keep updating the kext  :) .

I will update the guide to remove the details for Enabling AppleHDA since both methods are covered in the download page you linked before. Kindly if you are planning to make drastic changes to that page let me know maybe I would prefer to keep some info in the guide.

As for myself, I don't mind additional kext as long as it will not keep me waiting for other good guys to provide me with an update. Consider if you ditched your Y510P for whatever reason you may not have any interest to update the kext any more.....

It should not happen but it could. So i'll edit/update this post right away, with necessary info so that anyone can patch kext by themselves with minimum effort. It'll be great if you can also link this post as a reference (if they want to know which data to use) so that anyone willing to patch can use that info (which takes "a lot" of time to calculate).

...After a second thought, I think there are no preference here. Both methods seems to me not update-safe after all. I say this because if Apple made changes in AppleHDA binary then new binary patch may be required. For the method of patched AppleHDA this will be a direct patch and for the other method using DummyHDA there will be a need for updated Clover patches to AppleHDA. The only advantage of using DummyHDA method is that a newer AppleHDA will not overwrite the codecs since they are not stored in that kext and that will be all.....

Correct. 

....So keep doing what you are doing and keep updating the kext  :) ......

Will do as long as i can.

.....I will update the guide to remove the details for Enabling AppleHDA since both methods are covered in the download page you linked before.....

Also add the post please.

....Kindly if you are planning to make drastic changes to that page let me know maybe I would prefer to keep some info in the guide.....

Lol. Not that big mood change is going to happen. But in anything happens i'll remember to let you know.

EDIT: Post Updated. Check it out here

• 11/04/2015
    • Removed the details on Enabling AppleHDA (and previous download links) and linked instead to intruder16's work (both description post and download page)
    • Abstracted graphics fix details as they are better maintained in the original topic by the-darkvoid which is linked
  • Like 1

Well guys I observed that I am losing my battery very quickly on my lenovo y510p is there something that I can do about it like I am losing 1% of battery every minute Are u guys facing same problem

That's huge. I'm not facing any battery issues. Check what's draining your battery and if your Nvidia is disabled properly from SysInfo.