Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

I have EFI partion that I made and formatted as FAT32, "X", but I think it is not used by Windows. I tried to put Clover folder on it anyway, shows nothing on boot.
I have ton of partitions already, but I cannot access any hidden ones. I can see them on Disk Management, but I cannot add any new content on them, only format.

Probably, I just cannot explain properly what I did and what I have now :D
I guess I should stick to using USB for now and maybe try to make a fresh install, once I will have time and patience for it.

So you have a FAT32 formatted EFI partition that Windows does use to boot from and for some reason macOS don't. What happen if you put the CLOVER folder from your USB into that EFI folder on the HDD EFI partition and press F8 on boot (with USB not connected)? Can you see Clover options listed in the boot menu?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey again,

good news! Using this guide, I finally made it work! I somewhat understand why other methods(some were similar) did not work for me. Everything was there(after using previous methods, probably), but not visible in the boot menu, even with forced boot, using the "hidden" button, near the notebook cable. I thought that I couldn't make a change in the EFI, while dropping files on it. EasyUEFI program turned everything around.

Some minor things are still there(maybe missed something):

• at first, the boot of Mac OS X was slow(first boot without USB I had to shut down with power button, because it didn't load), windows loads fine. After few times the boot time until log in window got better.
  • I need to hit CapsLock twice for it to work. Is it the same on a real Macintosh?
  • right click on the trackpad can give glitching menu, depends on how I press the button.
  • if power/battery info is not shown("no battery connected"), restart can fix.
  • waking up Mac OS X from sleep doesn't wake the screen. Not sure if the notebook actually wakes up, the keyboard shows notebook is turned on, though. Need to restart through power button. cannot use Sleep Mode at all because of that. Gotta try to fix sleep mode problems later, using the info in guide, but I think the mentioned steps were already in the main installation process and will not do the trick.

In general, I am more than satisfied, just need to buy WI-fi card to feel like my hackintosh is complete(my current card is Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230). Also, I hope that one day I will be able to put my video card back, I feel it is a waste, lying still, far away from its home.

Thank you very much for all the help! If my family's notebooks were strong enough, I would probably try to hackintosh them too :D

P.S. what do you guys know, that you can figure out how to fix something like this and make up your own utilities for a special need? I study programming, so I wonder, if there is something I can learn to understand everything better and maybe one day even contribute to the site or something. Systems' programming or ..?

Thank you! keep it up :)

• 4 weeks later...

updated to macOS 10.12.4 , and hanged at apple logo and progress bar, then updated CLOVER manually from linux and it now boot and login successfully , so as a tip from tonymacx86.

Tip for anyone having issues with 10.12.4:

The macOS Sierra 10.12.4 update requires Clover_v2.3k_r3994 or newer. Otherwise kext injection doesn't work and you may get issues with sound, graphics, etc. 

updated to macOS 10.12.4 , and hanged at apple logo and progress bar, then updated CLOVER manually from linux and it now boot and login successfully , so as a tip from tonymacx86.

Tip for anyone having issues with 10.12.4:

The macOS Sierra 10.12.4 update requires Clover_v2.3k_r3994 or newer. Otherwise kext injection doesn't work and you may get issues with sound, graphics, etc. 

Thanks for the tip. Although I'm still on El Capitan and I think I will skip Sierra altogether.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use Sierra 10.12.3 on my Lenovo Y510p Laptop without any problem. But sometimes I open my laptop and I see that my graphic card doesn't work normally. What I mean is when I'm moving my mouse on the dock I see slow motions. After I turn my laptop and disassemble my battery. When I turn on again I see that I don't have any problem with my graphic card (HD4600). Do I have to do this everytime or I can solve this problem ? 

My second quesition is about my fan control. Is there any solution to control my fan speed or not ? 

Thank you for all answers. :)

Sierra is buggy af, even my macbook said no to it, and I went back to El Capitan :\

What's buggy with Sierra? I have no problem with it! And I am using it as main OS for 6-7 moths already i no problems at all! 

The only thing i can't get it to work is HDMI audio.... I asked in and they didn't help me, so I am lost now...

Hi Guys! I've just managed to BOOT Windows 10 with enabled both Intel and NVIDIA SLI. It would be very useful for booting OS X on notebook with pluuged in Ultrabay card.

That's very interesting .. would you share more info on how you did that?

• Like 1

That's very interesting .. would you share more info on how you did that?

It's quite easy. You just need modded BIOS. Then with Ultrabay card plugged in open BIOS setup and set Internal Graphics Device to Enabled. However in this configuration SLI doesn't work, but maybe we can do simple switch for that.

It's quite easy. You just need modded BIOS. Then with Ultrabay card plugged in open BIOS setup and set Internal Graphics Device to Enabled. However in this configuration SLI doesn't work, but maybe we can do simple switch for that.

Hmm ... I'm on stock BIOS ATM. So were you able to boot into OS X this way? 

• Like 1

Hmm ... I'm on stock BIOS ATM. So were you able to boot into OS X this way? 

There is one problem. Monitor is still attached to NVIDIA Card. I tried switching it in BIOS also, but I failed to boot, because I got blackscreen and I wasn't able to see BIOS later.

post-1543746-0-97245500-1492267942_thumb.png

I use Sierra 10.12.3 on my Lenovo Y510p Laptop without any problem. But sometimes I open my laptop and I see that my graphic card doesn't work normally. What I mean is when I'm moving my mouse on the dock I see slow motions. After I turn my laptop and disassemble my battery. When I turn on again I see that I don't have any problem with my graphic card (HD4600). Do I have to do this everytime or I can solve this problem ? 

My second quesition is about my fan control. Is there any solution to control my fan speed or not ? 

Thank you for all answers. :)

Can please anyone care my problem too ? :(

I won't comment on the graphics issue because I don't use Sierra as I said before so no idea. For the fan control you can use HWSensors to get information about fan but if you want to override its settings then you could take a good read here (ps: advanced topic).

• Like 1

Be careful with your screws. In my Lenovo, I got my screw dusted... :(

Yea that's bad !!

What's worse, I'm afraid I would forget to re-connect something or where to connect it ... just the idea of tearing my precious apart is terrifying !!

Just out of curiosity, are you able to even read information about fan (anything not just speed) in any other OS? I can't get any information about it under Windows using AIDA64 or SpeedFan. Like if the sensor for the fan is missing or not properly implemented in BIOS.

• Like 1

Yea that's bad !!

What's worse, I'm afraid I would forget to re-connect something or where to connect it ... just the idea of tearing my precious apart is terrifying !!....

Don't do it if you're not brave enough. You'll only make things worse.

I repasted the thermal compound in my laptop the day i bought it. I knew 4700MQ was a power hungry beast and it produces too much heat and the stock thermal paste is a hilarious joke. I still do it every 5-6 months. I was also curious about the M2 SSD slot (most models don't have it, mine does).

If you only want to clean the fans, use compressed air. That's the best you can do without tearing you laptop apart.

Can please anyone care my problem too ? :(

..Just out of curiosity, are you able to even read information about fan (anything not just speed) in any other OS? I can't get any information about it under Windows using AIDA64 or SpeedFan. Like if the sensor for the fan is missing or not properly implemented in BIOS.

You can't. The fan has nothing to do with BIOS. Is is controlled by EC (for which btw there's no documentation at all). You'll need some highly experienced EC programmer to achieve this. Even then its super tricky. Even reading the rpm is a headache. If you want to know more just do a quick google search.

Afair some people did it for some Alienware models (reason: huge community, many experienced people).

That's the reason why you can't control fans in Windows. The closest you're gonna get in Windows is using the Lenovo Energy Management Dust Removal function. Which is also hilarious as it runs the fan at full rpm for 8-9 secs then stops for 1 sec then runs the fan at full rpm again. During that 1 sec temp can easily rise upto 5*C. Not efficient at all xD

Don't do it if you're not brave enough. You'll only make things worse.

I repasted the thermal compound in my laptop the day i bought it. I knew 4700MQ was a power hungry beast and it produces too much heat and the stock thermal paste is a hilarious joke. I still do it every 5-6 months. I was also curious about the M2 SSD slot (most models don't have it, mine does).

If you only want to clean the fans, use compressed air. That's the best you can do without tearing you laptop apart.

It is not only the fan but actually the thermal compound as it is the main reason why temp go high. Mine idles at ~ 5*C without load and fan don't engage at this point so I guess the cleaning service is profitable if I'm brave enough of course.

You can't. The fan has nothing to do with BIOS. Is is controlled by EC ...

I disagree. ACPI tables are part of BIOS and EC's (including fan control) are often properly implemented and controlled in ACPI. It is a matter of choosing terms which BIOS seems very wide and not too much specific if that is what you mean. 

You'll need some highly experienced EC programmer to achieve this. Even then its super tricky. Even reading the rpm is a headache. If you want to know more just do a quick google search.

Afair some people did it for some Alienware models (reason: huge community, many experienced people).

I already did some google search and found some promising work for HP (Rehabman's work as usual) but there are other success stories out there. Yea it needs experience in EC and although I don't have such experience, I would still try and dig in even with learning curve ... 

EDIT: forgot to say, Welcome back .. good to know you are still here :)

It is not only the fan but actually the thermal compound as it is the main reason why temp go high. Mine idles at ~ 5*C without load and fan don't engage at this point so I guess the cleaning service is profitable if I'm brave enough of course.....

I would say go for it. It'll be worth it if you can shave off a few degrees of heat.

It's really easy but go slow. Don't use your strength to remove stuff. Its pretty easy to break stuff if you apply a bit extra force. 

...I disagree. ACPI tables are part of BIOS and EC's (including fan control) are often properly implemented and controlled in ACPI. It is a matter of choosing terms which BIOS seems very wide and not too much specific if that is what you mean. ...

I think you misunderstood me here. I said "You can't" in response to this:

Just out of curiosity, are you able to even read information about fan (anything not just speed) in any other OS? I can't get any information about it under Windows using AIDA64 or SpeedFan. Like if the sensor for the fan is missing or not properly implemented in BIOS.

"You can't" read the fan rpm cause its in EC not in ACPI table. Not that you can't solve it. It is very much possible to solve it in a couple of days, just need those fan "state" values.

...I already did some google search and found some promising work for HP (Rehabman's work as usual) but there are other success stories out there. Yea it needs experience in EC and although I don't have such experience, I would still try and dig in even with learning curve ... 

Yes. RehabMan *followed* the work that was already developed in windows. Not saying RehabMan is not capable of it. We all know very well what he is capable of. Like i said "big community" helps get things develop faster.

I did try to do it before but it needed too much time so i dropped it.

It's been months since i logged on to my mac. Windows 10 needs too much attention now a days. And being my primary OS (work reasons), i can't say no to it.

EDIT: forgot to say, Welcome back .. good to know you are still here :)

I always lurk in forums  :) The problem is there are just too many of them  :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I updated my laptop from 10.12.3 to 10.12.4 yesterday. But now I can't open it. It stucks on this screen everytime while I try to open my hackintosh. Any help ? Thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/s54fU

Edit : Btw I tried to boot from bootable Sierra 10.12.3 USB disk. ( Because I thought that maybe I can replace existing Clover file with Hacked one which you have released) But I've came across with the same issue again.

I need to update xcode and I was wondering How to update system. Should I install system again or can I just click update in app store.

@edit
I tried making new usb installer but I failed twice. Did something happenned with sierra 10.12.4?

@edit2

I read in some post above that it might require newer clover. Would you be so kind and update usb efi? :) or could you tell how to update it myself

@edit3
I managed to create bootable usb but final efi on my ssd is overwhelming me :/

https://mega.nz/#!wmhCQISa!zvC5blRgfnKFpBUBbZlK6p6R84J2xJb_JO7Zb-2uVvw< this is link to bootable usb version of clover if someone needs it