Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

Glad the topic is unlocked, thanks to @Allan. I just deleted the last post I made and thanks for everyone who pm me. I would like to thank @intruder for his ethics and for all the time he gave for this project. I will try my best to be here when I have time but for now I'm devoting my time to other things that I'm interested in. 

:rofl: Keep Hacking  :rofl: 

• Like 1

Hmm, my BIOS is not showing the boot option of the installed OS (EFI). There is for sure EFI drive, because I have mounted it and copied clover folder and ssdt-hacks there, but it is not working??

the structure is something like this: EFI(drive)/ APPLE and EFI folder/Clover

right? What could be fuc*ed up again?

And I have done the option - “Add Clover boot options for all entries"

Hmm, my BIOS is not showing the boot option of the installed OS (EFI). There is for sure EFI drive, because I have mounted it and copied clover folder and ssdt-hacks there, but it is not working??

the structure is something like this: EFI(drive)/ APPLE and EFI folder/Clover

So you are running macOS alone and got rid of Windows altogether? neat  :)

And I have done the option - “Add Clover boot options for all entries"

I was about to ask you to do that step because that's what adds the entries. Try to boot from the USB and do this step again.

So you are running macOS alone and got rid of Windows altogether? neat  :)

Yep, they are on different HDDs :)

Will try again now with the clover option, hope haven't missed anything.

Edit:

Well, after I tried again the boot options(there are two options for clover, have to use the second one!) are okay now but my keyboard is not working anymore. And I think I am giving up, for me it's a mess, can't do it, I tried, wanted to create a video tutorials for others but I cant do it.... So many configs, so many files, now in efi/efi/clover/acpi/patched which files shroud be there(cuz with the new method there shoud be two files (ssdt-hack and ssdt), but in your folder there is voodoo-hack file)???? Which config to use at last? And so, on...

So, I will try one more time, but want to me everything to be clear, is there a way to run the keyboard, or to change the config somehow, instead of reinstalling everything again?

Edit2: anyway I found a way to load efi under windows and to change the config, hope the config is the problem will see.

Edit3: well, still cant login cuz my keyboard is not working. So the question is, which files should I use in ACPI/Patched folder? Do I have to rename the file SSDT-HACK-VoodooPS2 to SSDT-HACK only? In your folder you have one file ssdt, and outside the clover two files for the keyboard, but I tried with SSDT-HACK-VoodooPS2 and ssdt, but still no keyboard. Will try know to rename it and see it that the reason, while nobody is here to answer :)

Edit4: Well, I tried with all combinations both files, or only ssdt, or only ssdt-hack, tired with: ssdt + ssdt-hack-voodoo(not renamed), with my edited config (with with is notbooting), with yours in Clover_FULL_EFI_10.10-10.12_SSDT-HACK, with intruder16 files, same. Works only if I boot from USB, only then I have working keyboard!

Hi everyone, (especially @intruder16)  

I was wondering if you can dump IGPU registers using AppleIntelInfo.kext any more? I can't get them and it looks like a bug in the kext itself. I took a look and found #define REPORT_INTEL_REGS 0 in AppleIntelInfo.h which prevent reading/reporting the registers but overriding this to 1 return wrong values (all of them are set to 0xffffffff). I've searched and found words from pike about this on Skylake but not for Haswell. 

Intel Register Data
------------------------------------
CPU_VGACNTRL...............: 0xFFFFFFFF
IS_HASWELL(devid) || IS_BROADWELL(devid)
HSW_PWR_WELL_CTL1..........: 0xffffffff
HSW_PWR_WELL_CTL2..........: 0xffffffff
HSW_PWR_WELL_CTL3..........: 0xffffffff
HSW_PWR_WELL_CTL4..........: 0xffffffff

.................................................... etc.

EDIT: I tried with older version v1.2 and surprisingly the problem exist. Now I don't know if the problem related to my setup rather than the kext. Can anybody confirm??

Yep, they are on different HDDs :)

Will try again now with the clover option, hope haven't missed anything.

Edit:

Well, after I tried again the boot options(there are two options for clover, have to use the second one!) are okay now but my keyboard is not working anymore. And I think I am giving up, for me it's a mess, can't do it, I tried, wanted to create a video tutorials for others but I cant do it.... So many configs, so many files, now in efi/efi/clover/acpi/patched which files shroud be there(cuz with the new method there shoud be two files (ssdt-hack and ssdt), but in your folder there is voodoo-hack file)???? Which config to use at last? And so, on...

So, I will try one more time, but want to me everything to be clear, is there a way to run the keyboard, or to change the config somehow, instead of reinstalling everything again?

Edit2: anyway I found a way to load efi under windows and to change the config, hope the config is the problem will see.

Edit3: well, still cant login cuz my keyboard is not working. So the question is, which files should I use in ACPI/Patched folder? Do I have to rename the file SSDT-HACK-VoodooPS2 to SSDT-HACK only? In your folder you have one file ssdt, and outside the clover two files for the keyboard, but I tried with SSDT-HACK-VoodooPS2 and ssdt, but still no keyboard. Will try know to rename it and see it that the reason, while nobody is here to answer :)

Edit4: Well, I tried with all combinations both files, or only ssdt, or only ssdt-hack, tired with: ssdt + ssdt-hack-voodoo(not renamed), with my edited config (with with is notbooting), with yours in Clover_FULL_EFI_10.10-10.12_SSDT-HACK, with intruder16 files, same. Works only if I boot from USB, only then I have working keyboard!

Sorry for not being here. Nobody gets notified if you constantly edit your posts.

1. Make sure you install all kexts as specified in OP.

2. Use the clover folder (Clover_FULL_EFI_10.10-10.12_SSDT-HACK) provided in OP. Leave config.plist as is. 

3. If you have ELAN touchpad use "SSDT-HACK-SmartTouchpad.aml" else use "SSDT-HACK-VoodooPS2.aml".

I will only say this once : Do not use "Clover Configurator". Reasons : It is known to remove some entries (Device/Arbitary section) in config.plist.

If you want me to take a look. Post your EFI folder.

....Edit2: anyway I found a way to load efi under windows and to change the config, hope the config is the problem will see....

There are no plist editors in windows that i know about. Do not use text editor to edit plist files.

I was wondering if you can dump IGPU registers using AppleIntelInfo.kext any more? I can't get them and it looks like a bug in the kext itself. I took a look and found #define REPORT_INTEL_REGS 0 in AppleIntelInfo.h which prevent reading/reporting the registers but overriding this to 1 return wrong values (all of them are set to 0xffffffff). I've searched and found words from pike about this on Skylake but not for Haswell. 

Intel Register Data

EDIT: I tried with older version v1.2 and surprisingly the problem exist. Now I don't know if the problem related to my setup rather than the kext. Can anybody confirm??

Give me some time. I'll check. Also, i might have the old version of that kext lying somewhere.

Well, so first to install all kext files and then to change and use Clover_FULL_EFI_10.10-10.12_SSDT-HACK.

And no, I didn't edit the config file, just replace it with the one of Clover_FULL_EFI_10.10-10.12_SSDT-HACK.

So now will boot with the USB and will install all kext and then will use everything from the Clover_FULL_EFI_10.10-10.12_SSDT-HACK

But still which files should be in the folder? SSDT and SSDT-HACK-VoodooPS2.aml (but with this name or to rename it to SSDT-HACK.aml)

Will try one more time if something is wrong again will upload EFI folder :)

Well, so first to install all kext files and then to change and use Clover_FULL_EFI_10.10-10.12_SSDT-HACK....

Yes. After installing macOS, boot into macOS using usb drive and install all the kexts mentioned in OP (in the table).

Note: Use only 1 of the following kexts:

1. VoodooPS2Controller

2. ApplePS2SmartTouchpad

Check if you have both of them under L/E or S/L/E by mistake.

....So now will boot with the USB and will install all kext and then will use everything from the Clover_FULL_EFI_10.10-10.12_SSDT-HACK...

Yes.

....But still which files should be in the folder? SSDT and SSDT-HACK-VoodooPS2.aml (but with this name or to rename it to SSDT-HACK.aml)...

Like i said before, if you have ELAN touchpad use "SSDT-HACK-SmartTouchpad.aml" else use "SSDT-HACK-VoodooPS2.aml". No need to rename just copy and paste to ACPI/patched/.

....Will try one more time if something is wrong again will upload EFI folder.

Ok.

• Like 1

Okay, I am here and still can understand what is wrong, after I boot from Installed OS, keyboard is not working.

I used your config (tried with ahmed_ais too), both files(ssdt and voodoo hack) are in the "patched" folder,

I installed all kext from the photo(voodoo only for the keyboard) some of the things are working, for example baterry is working, but some not - wifi for example. I am using same card as ahmed_ais, but in the photo shoud install only FakePCIID_broadcom_WiFi.kext or something more? Because it says only this one?

Here is my clover flder, hope u will find what is wrong...

Okay, I am here and still can understand what is wrong, after I boot from Installed OS, keyboard is not working.

I used your config (tried with ahmed_ais too), both files(ssdt and voodoo hack) are in the "patched" folder,

I installed all kext from the photo(voodoo only for the keyboard) some of the things are working, for example baterry is working, but some not - wifi for example. I am using same card as ahmed_ais, but in the photo shoud install only FakePCIID_broadcom_WiFi.kext or something more? Because it says only this one?

Here is my clover flder, hope u will find what is wrong...

You have my config.plist and ahmed's SSDT-HACK. Either use my SSDT-HACK or ahmed's config.plist.

For now, i have attached my SSDT-HACK.aml. Replace it with SSDT-HACK-VoodooPS2.aml in your ACPI/patched/ folder.

Note: With my SSDT-HACK you need to use USBInjectall kext from here

Also, attach the output of :

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

SSDT-HACK.aml.zip

Last login: Wed Oct 12 15:17:24 on console
beBosss-MacBook-Pro:~ beboss$ sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/ && sudo kextcache -u /
Password:
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext IntelBacklight.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext CodecCommander.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPIBatteryManager.kext
KernelCache ID: 516D44689DF2305D4FDA062DE5F44772
symlink("/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel", "/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache") failed 17 (File exists) <createPrelinkedKernel 2795>
beBosss-MacBook-Pro:~ beboss$ 

Last login: Wed Oct 12 15:17:24 on console
beBosss-MacBook-Pro:~ beboss$ sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/ && sudo kextcache -u /
Password:
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext IntelBacklight.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext CodecCommander.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPIBatteryManager.kext
KernelCache ID: 516D44689DF2305D4FDA062DE5F44772
symlink("/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel", "/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache") failed 17 (File exists) <createPrelinkedKernel 2795>
beBosss-MacBook-Pro:~ beboss$ 

You don't have any kexts related to touchpad and keyboard (neither in EFI/Clover/Kexts nor S/L/E), that's why your keyboard isn't working. (Touchpad also includes keyboard)

Remove FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and install the following to S/L/E:

1. FakeSMC & its plugins

2. ApplePS2SmartTouchPad

3. ACPIKeyboard

4. USBInjectAll

2 & 3 are already mentioned in the table in OP. Please follow the guide carefully next time.

Now you should have everything working. If there are any issues/not working issues post here. 

I think this tool that install kext is not good, cuz I have used almost the same tool (wasn't coloured) and it did the job, now this log shows that I haven't install many kext, but that's not true.
EasyKext Pro is the tool I am using now, but previews one was EasyKext Utility, I think? 

2 & 3 are already mentioned in the table in OP. Please follow the guide carefully next time.Well will see what can I do now.. 

well, In the photo says that I have to use one of the files, or voodoo or the other one, so if using the other one there one more file, but I "installed" vodoo!

And from the guide:

• Have the CLOVER zip (attached in Downloads section) unzipped into EFI folder of your EFI partition. This will ensure you have the proper config.plist (including all kexts & acpi hot-patches among other important settings) in addition to the SSDT-HACK tables.
  • Install all recent versions of the following kexts (links in Downloads section) in /S/L/E using EasyKext Utility:

Nothing is mentioned in the guide about clover kext folder.

I think this tool that install kext is not good, cuz I have used almost the same tool (wasn't coloured) and it did the job, now this log shows that I haven't install many kext, but that's not true.

EasyKext Pro is the tool I am using now, but previews one was EasyKext Utility, I think?....

Logs don't lie.

I don't use any *kext* tools, so i have no idea.

....well, In the photo says that I have to use one of the files, or voodoo or the other one, so if using the other one there one more file, but I "installed" vodoo!...

Clearly it didn't install.

....Nothing is mentioned in the guide about clover kext folder.

That's because the guide mentions to install the kexts in S/L/E. 

Kexts should be either in Clover/kexts/other or S/L/E (or L/E). If FakeSMC is not found in S/L/E, clover injects them from kexts folder. A parameter in config.plist controls it (at the end of config.plist).

Also, you still didn't confirm if it solved your problem. 

I can say only one thing, Ive spent 5 or 6 days in nothing, because of faulty tool... Don't use the tool in the guide(EasyKext Pro) use this one:

Latest Kext Utility macOS "Sierra" Super Speed Edition.

And yep, I did everything right, but the tool didn't install the kext, thats why my keyboard didn't work, that's why my mac didn't boot. Now it works.
Well, now have to fix the sound, but why there is no compiled AppleHDA282.kext?

Edit: Finally everything works fine....

Intel Register Data

Yep. Seems to be a bug in AppleIntelInfo.kext. I cannot find the old version.

Also, can you show me the output of : "sysctl hw | grep frequency"

I can say only one thing, Ive spent 5 or 6 days in nothing, because of faulty tool... Don't use the tool in the guide(EasyKext Pro) use this one:

And yep, I did everything right, but the tool didn't install the kext, thats why my keyboard didn't work, that's why my mac didn't boot. Now it works.

Well, now have to fix the sound, but why there is no compiled AppleHDA282.kext?

Edit: Finally everything works fine....

Great! Enjoy your hack.

Sorry to hear that but the guide does not mention using EasyKext Pro but instead it suggest using EasyKext Utility (attached) which I have been using it since 10.11 and now with 10.12 flawlessly. I made a quick search and it might be that EasyKext Utility have been replaced with that Pro version which could have issues I don't know about as I didn't try it. But its up to anyone to choose how to install kexts anyway but the most important is to have them installed correctly.

On the other hand, I wanted to give you a hint about the SSDT's you are using. Basically I include one named ssdt.aml which is for CPU Power Management only. The other two that you should choose from are essentially the same with only one difference which is the patch for keyboard Fn+Up/Down Arrows keys to control brightness. However, having a functional keyboard (without the mentioned feature about controlling brightness) is only a matter of installing the right kext correctly and the supplied SSDT's have nothing to do with this. I know intruder16 walked this with you but I thought to put the statement very clear to you and everyone needs it in future.

Yep. Seems to be a bug in AppleIntelInfo.kext. I cannot find the old version.

Also, can you show me the output of : "sysctl hw | grep frequency"

Here it is:

hw.tbfrequency: 1000000000
hw.cpufrequency_max: 2394000000
hw.cpufrequency_min: 2394000000
hw.cpufrequency: 2394000000
hw.busfrequency_max: 400000000
hw.busfrequency_min: 400000000
hw.busfrequency: 400000000

I tried both versions v1.2 (old one that I believe it used to work) and v1.8e (the most recent) and both return registers values of 0xffffffff. I even tried on 10.11.0 and still the same thing which make me wonder if the problem is with the setup. I tried to remove the HD4600 properties from Clover and use Graphics section as we used to but the same thing. Also replacing SSDT-HACK files with patched ACPI tables didn't fix it. I will investigate more ...

Easykext Utility.zip

....Here it is:

hw.tbfrequency: 1000000000
hw.cpufrequency_max: 2394000000
hw.cpufrequency_min: 2394000000
hw.cpufrequency: 2394000000
hw.busfrequency_max: 400000000
hw.busfrequency_min: 400000000
hw.busfrequency: 400000000

Look at the "hw.busfrequency" values. Bus freq should be 100MHz. Adding the following to config.plist solves it :

<key>CPU</key>
	<dict>
		<key>QPI</key>
		<integer>100</integer>
	</dict>
I tried both versions v1.2 (old one that I believe it used to work) and v1.8e (the most recent) and both return registers values of 0xffffffff. I even tried on 10.11.0 and still the same thing which make me wonder if the problem is with the setup. I tried to remove the HD4600 properties from Clover and use Graphics section as we used to but the same thing. Also replacing SSDT-HACK files with patched ACPI tables didn't fix it. I will investigate more ...

Same here.

Also, I've been playing with EDID to see if it fixes anything regarding re-boot issue. I have tried changing almost everything in EDID from serial no's to display model etc but it didn't work.

Sorry to hear that but the guide does not mention using EasyKext Pro but instead it suggest using EasyKext Utility (attached) which I have been using it since 10.11 and now with 10.12 flawlessly. I made a quick search and it might be that EasyKext Utility have been replaced with that Pro version which could have issues I don't know about as I didn't try it. But its up to anyone to choose how to install kexts anyway but the most important is to have them installed correctly.

Sorry it's my fault!

Sorry it's my fault!

No my friend nothing to be sorry about, enjoy your hack!

I would be grateful if you summarize the steps you toke to fix everything here. I mean things that did not work with you from the guide and what did you replace it with. After all, the guide should reflect a viable way to set up the OS and the current guide appears to be problematic I guess.

Well, I made videos how to install it, from your guide of course and thought that everything is fine till I used EasyKext Pro instead of EasyKext Utility, so when I restarted the pc, didn't boot, and then i was thinking that the configs or files in the ACPI folder were the problem, but not, the tool was. So will try to record a new video and then to edit it to have a full video tutorial. One more question about that, is there a problem to instal now a kext which is already installed? Because I want to show in the video the tool that people have to use and how to use it, but I already have installed all my kext?

One more question about that, is there a problem to instal now a kext which is already installed? 

No worries. The kext will override the existent one and kext cache will be updated but nothing to worry about.

Hey, two videos for now, on how do download and how to create USB flash drive.

Now I am editing and maybe have to create a new one how to install kext files, but till tomorrow they will be done, so hope they would be helpful for some people :)

1. How to Install MacOS Sierra on Lenovo Y510P - Downloading 

2. How to Install MacOS Sierra on Lenovo Y510P - Creating Bootable USB flash drive 

• Like 1

Look at the "hw.busfrequency" values. Bus freq should be 100MHz. Adding the following to config.plist solves it :

<key>CPU</key>
	<dict>
		<key>QPI</key>
		<integer>100</integer>
	</dict>

Same here.

Also, I've been playing with EDID to see if it fixes anything regarding re-boot issue. I have tried changing almost everything in EDID from serial no's to display model etc but it didn't work.

QPI fixed this, thanks.

I can't believe it, even AppleIntelInfo v1.0 can't retrieve Intel Registers anymore ... 

Hello,

I've searched through this topic for an answer to my question however I could not find it. I'm sorry if this was already answered, however, in your guide you mention that a crucial step to installing OS X is creating a bigger EFI partition on Windows 8.1. I'm on Windows 10 and according to the list of partitions I got my EFI already is a size of 500 mb. I assume I don't have to do anything to it, however, my question is, do I have to do anything to the EFI partition on Windows 10 for OS X to install?

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Primary            500 MB  1024 KB
  Partition 2    Primary            931 GB   501 MB
Thank you!  :)