Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

hi 

can anyone please help me to make brightness work, and optimize my config.plist

because every time i make a change on it, the system won't boot after,

this is my efi partition https://mega.nz/#!fcIVWDbI!oN77pZ2AZHk7N0z74BsHSmyWBsCSHEdEu9KD1WcWN1c

Hi,

For brightness to work, you need to have:

• Proper power management which is done using ssdtPRGen (google that to learn about it), OR by using the AutoPatcher (which is linked to in first post).
  • Properly configured graphics with QE/CI.
  • Properly patched DSDT/SSDT for PNLF patch (ignore this if you used AutoPatcher as it is included)
  • Installed ACPIBacklight.kext either in Clover or /S/L/E

So I suggest you to:

• Read the guide throughly (print it if you need to)
  • Download and save all the needed files (all kexts, tools to install the kexts, AutoPatcher, Clover Installer, my linked config.plist, etc.)
  • Make clean install (I don't like fixing systems that are missed up), install clover and use my config.plist
  • Use AutoPatcher to properly patch your DSDT and SSDTs then put the patched files in Clover
  • Fix graphics according to the guide (from here it is a matter of installing couple of kexts)
  • Install brightness controller kext ACPIBacklight.kext
  • Reboot and you should have fixed graphics and working brightness

I could not download your attached file as my broadband is like a turtle and 60MB is overkill to me  :no:

will the auto-pacther work with y510p with the hd screen(because mine is not the full hd version, the resolution for mine is 1366*768) ?

The Auto-Patcher will work fine but I'm not sure about kexts. You are the first one here to report using this resolution but no harm of trying.

The Auto-Patcher will work fine but I'm not sure about kexts. You are the first one here to report using this resolution but no harm of trying.

it appear that there is 2 version of y510p, one with full hd screen( 1920*1080) and an M2 slot

and the second with a hd screen (1366*768) and without M2 slot

it appear that there is 2 version of y510p, one with full hd screen( 1920*1080) and an M2 slot

and the second with a hd screen (1366*768) and without M2 slot

yes , you're right i have the second model (1366*768)

I am trying to get my 510p working fully. Great guide by the way, wish the title was update to reflect it works with El capitain because it put me off from using the guide at first till I read further. Ethernet works great, and I am waiting for my new Broadcom wifi+BT card to get here. Mysteriously the bluetooth from the intel card works in mac...

After spending a long time trying to get the Apple HDA to work I caved in and the voodoo HDA works great enough, I had to turn off the second microphones volume otherwise I heard loud static noises from headphones. QE/CI work great but every time I boot up the system I need to logout and log back in otherwise the menu bar on the top has corruption. Anyone know why?

Also I installed the elan track pad enhanced driver and it WORKS and the trackpad section of preferences knows there is a trackpad, but the problem is when you plug a mouse in it wont disable the trackpad. This is a huge problem because even while I am typing this my cursor is going everywhere when I'm trying to type messing stuff up.  Any suggestions to fix this?

Also the 4600 is deadly slow. I tried running CSGO (should run decent on a 4600) and it was so choppy and unplayable on lowest settings.  I have posted over in the 755m forum to see about getting it working.

I have read both this guide and the auto patcher guide and neither tell me how to actually use the auto patcher for newbies. I am pretty new with a lot of this stuff but want to figure it out. My battery life is {censored} poor, and my eyes are starting to strain from this 100% screen brightness. I downloaded the auto patcher and made it executable and ran the command but what do I do at that point? It wants a path to something? Where am I supposed to get the files it wants? Thanks for the help.

Update: changed the frame buffer line in the plist to end with a a instead of a 6 and now there is no more top bar corruption. The fix on the homepage made the boot logo stop spazzing out. I'm getting there....

I am trying to get my 510p working fully. Great guide by the way, wish the title was update to reflect it works with El capitain because it put me off from using the guide at first till I read further. Ethernet works great, and I am waiting for my new Broadcom wifi+BT card to get here. Mysteriously the bluetooth from the intel card works in mac...

After spending a long time trying to get the Apple HDA to work I caved in and the voodoo HDA works great enough, I had to turn off the second microphones volume otherwise I heard loud static noises from headphones. QE/CI work great but every time I boot up the system I need to logout and log back in otherwise the menu bar on the top has corruption. Anyone know why?

Also I installed the elan track pad enhanced driver and it WORKS and the trackpad section of preferences knows there is a trackpad, but the problem is when you plug a mouse in it wont disable the trackpad. This is a huge problem because even while I am typing this my cursor is going everywhere when I'm trying to type messing stuff up.  Any suggestions to fix this?

Also the 4600 is deadly slow. I tried running CSGO (should run decent on a 4600) and it was so choppy and unplayable on lowest settings.  I have posted over in the 755m forum to see about getting it working.

I have read both this guide and the auto patcher guide and neither tell me how to actually use the auto patcher for newbies. I am pretty new with a lot of this stuff but want to figure it out. My battery life is {censored} poor, and my eyes are starting to strain from this 100% screen brightness. I downloaded the auto patcher and made it executable and ran the command but what do I do at that point? It wants a path to something? Where am I supposed to get the files it wants? Thanks for the help.

Update: changed the frame buffer line in the plist to end with a a instead of a 6 and now there is no more top bar corruption. The fix on the homepage made the boot logo stop spazzing out. I'm getting there....

At this point I'm not so sure that you have properly patched ACPI tables (DSDT and SSDTs) or in other words not sure that you have used Auto-Patcher properly. If not, then do this right now because you won't have a proper system without it.

You also need to use the config.plist I put in the downloads section or at least make yours correctly. The graphic glitch is caused by a missing patch in your config.plist but you have figured this out yourself. However, if you have used mine you should not have that problem. To have a working AppleHDA you should use my script (very simple to run) and also have proper config.plist (as the one I uploaded) because there are certain patches and configurations for AppleHDA should be in config.plist. It's up to you if you decided to use VoodooHDA but I would not do that if I can get AppleHDA to work.

I believe your problems with HD4600 are related to power management which should be fixed if you correctly use Auto-Patcher. Brightness will be fixed if you install the correct kext, and have proper graphics AND correctly used Auto-Patcher as well.

As for Elan kext, I believe there is an option for what you want to achieve but I'm away from my setup right now, I will check later and reply back.

Yes I am slowly figuring it out. Now it boot up great no screen problems. Also I got iMessage and facetime working. Going to figure out the whole ACPI thing next... why is the section on ssds blank in the guide?

Thanks for mentioning this. There used to be a clover patch there and was removed as it exist in the pre-made config.plist. I should have edited the section to reflect that change but it seems I forgot to do so. I will update it as soon as possible.

Okay I got the ACPI patched. I had to use the disable OEM options in PLIST to notice any changes. After this now the brightness slider works and thats nice. The problem is now it is having weird boot effects. the top bar  seems corrupted regardless of the fact I already fixed that using the method from the home page (had to log out and log in to fix it).  Not really sure why I am having this? Every time the top bar is garbled and I need to logout to fix it.

I got the right version of AppleHDA from the installer and now it works flawless. Also even with ACPI working 3D applications are still deadly slow... Im not expecting much from a 4600 but this is not really usable in anything with 3D graphics.

Also fn-f6 works to turn off the trackpad and thats been working well for me. 

Update: I guess even people with real macpro have stuttering in csgo based on people complaining in steam forum and it does run well in other 3D apps. I found that getting rid of the apple graphics powersaver kext help speed it up also...

The problem is now it is having weird boot effects. the top bar  seems corrupted regardless of the fact I already fixed that using the method from the home page (had to log out and log in to fix it).  Not really sure why I am having this? Every time the top bar is garbled and I need to logout to fix it.

This is the 9mb framebuffer issue and is fixed by using a patch in config.plist. Double check that you have this patch AND properly clear the kext cache then reboot to put the patch in action.

Also even with ACPI working 3D applications are still deadly slow... Im not expecting much from a 4600 but this is not really usable in anything with 3D graphics.

I have not tested the 3D capabilities of 4600 but as you say we should not expect much. However, try to use MAXON CINEBENCH R15 to benchmark the IGPU and post your results. This is the result on OS X 10.11.4:

754e20a2b53cad5d.png

And under Windows 10:

e47ac0a6118fd4b5.PNG

As you can see, it's not the best for 3D business (it's designed to work WITH a dedicated GPU after all). It's obvious that the drivers for Windows are superior but still this IGPU performance is no match for what a dedicated GPU can do. 

Also fn-f6 works to turn off the trackpad and thats been working well for me.

Yes it works to disable it but it is not reliable when you want to enable it again. I will contact the kext developer maybe he can improve it a bit.

Hi all

the fn+up and down not working with me

it use to control the brightness

the fn+right and left working great (sound controlling)

i'm using the config.plist from the guide 

if i just  can make it in "menu bar" it will be great

thank you,

Hi all

the fn+up and down not working with me

it use to control the brightness

the fn+right and left working great (sound controlling)

i'm using the config.plist from the guide 

if i just  can make it in "menu bar" it will be great

thank you,

Controlling the brightness via Fn+up/down is fixed using a patch to ACPI tables and have nothing to do with the config.plist. If you used Auto-Patcher to patch your ACPI tables you should then have this functionality working just fine. I don't understand the last statement about the "menu bar"; what do you want to do with it?

Controlling the brightness via Fn+up/down is fixed using a patch to ACPI tables and have nothing to do with the config.plist. If you used Auto-Patcher to patch your ACPI tables you should then have this functionality working just fine. I don't understand the last statement about the "menu bar"; what do you want to do with it?

Yes, i used the Auto-Patcher, 

I mean like that

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brightness-slider/id456624497?mt=12

i installed ACPIKeyboard kext and reboot.. it's working fine now

but it appears a new issue

restarting not working fine

when i press restart it just turn off the screen and the laptop still running..

Edited by bakadis

That's a feature by a third-party app and not a standard OS X. Here we try to get OS X to work fine on our hackintosh but from that point you use whatever additional apps you like.

i installed ACPIKeyboard kext and reboot.. it's working fine now but it appears a new issue restarting not working fine when i press restart it just turn off the screen and the laptop still running..

Read the guide ...

Issues and What does not work  :thumbsdown_anim: 

• Intel GPU / Restart issue: There is a problem related to graphics occurs when display goes off then on, like when system sleeps and wake for example, which results in no display on restart. More details and a workaround for this problem are introduced in Post Installation / graphics section.

I did a blind restart successfully   :thumbsup_anim:

thank you very match for your great guide and your help..

hope for you the best.

Thanks friend, enjoy :)

Hi, how to fix low audio issue after 10.11.4 update ??

I can't link that behavior with 10.11.4 update; do you have sources for that other than you own personal experience? something like a link to page where some one complain about the same thing after 10.11.4?

In all cases, you can use software like BOOM to boost audio output or resort to VoodooHDA instead. AppleHDA is superior to VoodooHDA of course but the latter have an option in the preference pane to increase audio gain which boost audio output.

• Like 1

Thanks friend, enjoy :)

I can't link that behavior with 10.11.4 update; do you have sources for that other than you own personal experience? something like a link to page where some one complain about the same thing after 10.11.4?

In all cases, you can use software like BOOM to boost audio output or resort to VoodooHDA instead. AppleHDA is superior to VoodooHDA of course but the latter have an option in the preference pane to increase audio gain which boost audio output.

Thank you for BOOM suggestion

Read the description of my guide to fix AppleHDA and pay attention to the section "Fixing Audio Loss after Sleep/Wake"

i installed the codecCommander kext now with Kext Wizard and reboot but it's still the same issue 

no audio after waking from sleep mode..

Edited by bakadis