• Please log in to reply
1367 replies to this topic

ka05

ka05

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

After following the guide im getting stuck when trying to boot the installer.

It loads clover and then when i select "Yosemite Installer" it says it found the device ID then the screen goes black and the laptop restarts.

You said to look for an EFI folder and share that with you but i am not seeing that folder in the root directory of the installer. I only saw a EFI-Backup folder that was empty.

ahmed_ais

ahmed_ais

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Sorry for the late reply ...

I reinstalled windows 7 on legacy BIOS. I thought they were different versions v2999 / r2999. I managed with Clover 2953, is going well.  Video card show it to 1.5 Gb are some glitches on the screen. There is a tutorial how to add patch in config.plist with playlist editor?

Where should I enter
               <dict>
               <key>Comment</key>
               <string>0x0a260006 9MB cursor bytes patch</string>
               <key>Find</key>
               <data>
               BgAmCgEDAwMAAAACAAAwAQAAYAA=
               </data>
               <key>Name</key>
               <string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
               <key>Replace</key>
               <data>
               BgAmCgEDAwMAAAACAAAwAQAAkAA=
under the text that says Kext an Patch?

It is "PlistEdit Pro" and is paid application that you can download as trial. There are other free options (Xcode for example) that can play nicely with .plist files. I don't have a link to a guide on how to add a patch using PlistEdit Pro but it should be easy. Open the config.plist file using the app, on the lower part of the window skip to <key>KextsToPatch</key> section. Add the patch above after any other patches exist there (between <array> and </array> but don't overlap other kexts.

P.S.
It is possible to start the video board showing 2047MB(NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M). Lenovo GeForce GT 750M show 0mb.Untitled.png

I don't know what is this actually, please clarify.

Hi i Pmed you earlier this is my efi.

Hi, I'm sorry, I've been very busy lately. Do you still have issues?

After following the guide im getting stuck when trying to boot the installer.
It loads clover and then when i select "Yosemite Installer" it says it found the device ID then the screen goes black and the laptop restarts.

You said to look for an EFI folder and share that with you but i am not seeing that folder in the root directory of the installer. I only saw a EFI-Backup folder that was empty.

Do you have OS X installed or are you struggling to start the installer?

ka05

ka05

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Do you have OS X installed or are you struggling to start the installer?

I dont have OSX installed yet. i am still trying to boot the installer. And its alright i understand that your trying to help other people too. I didnt find the EFI folder. What would you suggest i do?

ahmed_ais

ahmed_ais

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I dont have OSX installed yet. i am still trying to boot the installer. And its alright i understand that your trying to help other people too. I didnt find the EFI folder. What would you suggest i do?

Well, if you have been following this guide to create the USB installer then you definitely should have EFI folder on the USB. Since you don't have OS X installed yet, you could plug the USB in Windows and you will find the folder on the only USB visible partition.

ka05

ka05

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Well, if you have been following this guide to create the USB installer then you definitely should have EFI folder on the USB. Since you don't have OS X installed yet, you could plug the USB in Windows and you will find the folder on the only USB visible partition.

Sorry i do have Mavericks installed right now, i dont have yosemite yet though. my bad i failed to mention that. Maybe i should go through the whole process of creating the USB drive for a third time.

Okay so i just reinstalled clover on the USB drive and heres the link to my EFI folder

https://www.dropbox....ld/EFI.zip?dl=0

ahmed_ais

ahmed_ais

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Sorry i do have Mavericks installed right now, i dont have yosemite yet though. my bad i failed to mention that. Maybe i should go through the whole process of creating the USB drive for a third time.

Alright, whatever you have can be useful!

A bit of background:
When you make the USB installer you format the USB as one partition. However, OS X creates another hidden partition called EFI to store boot files (inside EFI folder). Using OS X you may not be able to see this partition (so you don't have access to the EFI partition inside it) because it is hidden and only main partition will be visible. This is not the case with Windows, however, where the USB-EFI partition will be visible by default and the other one will not be mountable because Windows does not support HFS+ file system.

Since you have Mavericks we can use it to access the EFI folder but only if we are able to see it (mount it). To do this run Mavericks, put the USB in, open the terminal, then enter the command:

diskutil list 

You will see a list of all disks and partitions available like this one:

Screen_Shot_2015_02_03_at_02_01_58.png

Take a look on the IDENTIFIER column on the right, disk0 usually refers to your internal HDD or SSD. Other disks will follow like disk1 which is a USB flash I'm inserting. Under disk1 you can see disk1s1 and disk1s2 which are the two partitions there. You can see that disk1s1 is marked on the left as EFI so if I wanted to mount the EFI partition on this USB I would need to mount disk1s1. To do this, type the next command in Terminal:

diskutil mount disk1s1 

This will give you access to the EFI partition and all its contents.

Okay so i just reinstalled clover on the USB drive and heres the link to my EFI folder

https://www.dropbox....ld/EFI.zip?dl=0

Hmm ... alright then ... I wasted time explaining things you didn't make use of anyway!

I'll look into it ...

EDIT

I see ... have you paid attention into this section from the guide:

Once you are done, you will find a disk labeled “EFI” belongs to the USB (the hidden one now visible). Open that, “EFI” > EFI > Clover, and using any plist editor (PlistEdit Pro is prefect) or CloverConfigurator app, edit config.plist with the following and save the file before closing it:

• ​​ACPI > DSDT > Fixes > Remove All
  • ACPI > DSDT > DropTables > Remove All
  • ACPI > SSDT > Generate > CStates > false
  • ACPI > SSDT > Generate > PStates > false
  • Boot > Arguments > -v dart=0 darkwake=0 nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1
  • Devices > FakeID > IntelGFX > 0x0
  • Graphics > Inject > Intel > true
  • Graphics > ig-platform-id > 0x0a260006 (you can try others)
  • SMBIOS > (set it to MacBookPro11,2)
  • Replace “VBoxHFS.efi” with downloaded “HFSPlus.efi” in the folder “Drivers64UEFI”.
  • Copy the two kexts downloaded (FakeSMC.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext) into Kexts > 10.10 (or into Kexts > other).
Now the USB installer is ready for prime time.

Fix the config.plist as the instructions above. Also use HFSPlus.efi instead of HFSPlus-64.efi and update FakeSMC.kext to the latest version (links are in downloads section in OP)

ka05

ka05

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Alright, whatever you have can be useful!

A bit of background:
When you make the USB installer you format the USB as one partition. However, OS X creates another hidden partition called EFI to store boot files (inside EFI folder). Using OS X you may not be able to see this partition (so you don't have access to the EFI partition inside it) because it is hidden and only main partition will be visible. This is not the case with Windows, however, where the USB-EFI partition will be visible by default and the other one will not be mountable because Windows does not support HFS+ file system.

Since you have Mavericks we can use it to access the EFI folder but only if we are able to see it (mount it). To do this run Mavericks, put the USB in, open the terminal, then enter the command:

diskutil list 

You will see a list of all disks and partitions available like this one:

Screen_Shot_2015_02_03_at_02_01_58.png

Take a look on the IDENTIFIER column on the right, disk0 usually refers to your internal HDD or SSD. Other disks will follow like disk1 which is a USB flash I'm inserting. Under disk1 you can see disk1s1 and disk1s2 which are the two partitions there. You can see that disk1s1 is marked on the left as EFI so if I wanted to mount the EFI partition on this USB I would need to mount disk1s1. To do this, type the next command in Terminal:

diskutil mount disk1s1 

This will give you access to the EFI partition and all its contents.

Hmm ... alright then ... I wasted time explaining things you didn't make use of anyway!

I'll look into it ...

EDIT

I see ... have you paid attention into this section from the guide:

Fix the config.plist as the instructions above. Also use HFSPlus.efi instead of HFSPlus-64.efi and update FakeSMC.kext to the latest version (links are in downloads section in OP)

Dont feel that wasted your time. Im glad you explained that because i was confused about how the EFI partition didnt show up in mavericks until after i installed clover.

I will do what you suggested and get back to you. Thank you very much for the help so far!

bogdangepe

bogdangepe

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

I don't know what is this actually, please clarify.

In System Info appears to 2047MB video card NVIDIA(video card from ultrabay). This means that system sees, right?

ahmed_ais

ahmed_ais

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

In System Info appears to 2047MB video card NVIDIA(video card from ultrabay). This means that system sees, right?

This is interesting !

You know, I am not an expert, I am just a guy who tried hard to get OS X working nicely on this laptop. I collected every thing I learnt and put into this guide but indeed there are more to add. At the beginning of my journey, someone advised that the card in ultrabay will never work and have to be removed. I toke his words and I never tried while it is in actually, my bad!  

I gave it a try and was able to boot into OS X without Intel I believe. So yes, the system sees it this is correct. Though mine needs drivers which I will install and try. Thanks for putting this here, it will change many things!

bogdangepe

bogdangepe

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

I boot with nvda_drv=1 Fake ID 0x10DE0FE4. Alternative Fake ID 0x10DE0FE9, are for GT 750M. For GT755M 0x10DE0FEA / 0x10DE0FCD. Video card fan starts, feels the heat. I tried with the original nvidia driver, but it does not work, there is no difference

between drivers from the site and the drivers from the system. The system starts with Nvidia integrated video card.

ahmed_ais

ahmed_ais

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I boot with nvda_drv=1 Fake ID 0x10DE0FE4. Alternative Fake ID 0x10DE0FE9, are for GT 750M. For GT755M 0x10DE0FEA / 0x10DE0FCD. Video card fan starts, feels the heat. I tried with the original nvidia driver, but it does not work, there is no difference

between drivers from the site and the drivers from the system. The system starts with Nvidia integrated video card.

My experience is 0mb or 7mb vram using either built-in drivers or web drivers. I tried different SMBIOS but nothing made any difference. I also can't boot without nv_disable=1 which supposedly disables nvidia but it doesn't. The flag nvda_drv=1 doesn't have any effect and I think it is not even for Clover. I haven't tried any FakeID yet.

bogdangepe

bogdangepe

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Yes, because starts automatically with integrated video card(nvidia). I can start without nv_disable=1, but I have 0 mb. When i entered Fake ID, there was no difference.

Fake ID https://github.com/C...tform/nvidia.c 

I think is good 

Sfairat

Sfairat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Hello, everyone,

Ahmed Salah AIS, that is a great guide you've written.

I've updated to 10.10 a week or so ago (didn't have enough free time to try it earlier), and was able to fix everything quite fast. I only have one problem (had it with previous 10.9 installation), in 75% of boots clover hangs on "+++++" right before starting loading the OS, and I have to reboot to windows and then try launching OS X once again. Didn't you have such a problem? I'm gonna take a look at clover debug logs sometime later.

Also, how did you manage to boot into os x with both NVidia GPUs? Do you boot it in safe mode? I'm interested in it 'cause I'm a bit tired of taking off the ultrabay gpu and putting it back.. When I try to boot with both GPUs, verbose log is fine, though it reboots just before showing the login screen. What are the downsides of it?

Also, if you want to disable nvidia GPU whatsoever, you can use the SSDT I've once provided in the previous topic.

ahmed_ais

ahmed_ais

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Hello, everyone,
Ahmed Salah AIS, that is a great guide you've written.

Hi, Sfairat.
Thanks for this, and thanks for passing by. You are one of those guys that helped me when I didn't even had a bootable installation!

I've updated to 10.10 a week or so ago (didn't have enough free time to try it earlier), and was able to fix everything quite fast. I only have one problem (had it with previous 10.9 installation), in 75% of boots clover hangs on "+++++" right before starting loading the OS, and I have to reboot to windows and then try launching OS X once again. Didn't you have such a problem? I'm gonna take a look at clover debug logs sometime later.

I stopped getting such problem once I fixed the Clover version and most of its configurations, efi images, etc. It is not a scientific approach and I have not made any research for the reason to get these but certain configuration can lead to this. The steps I listed here in the guide will not result in this, I hope.

Also, how did you manage to boot into os x with both NVidia GPUs? Do you boot it in safe mode? I'm interested in it 'cause I'm a bit tired of taking off the ultrabay gpu and putting it back.. When I try to boot with both GPUs, verbose log is fine, though it reboots just before showing the login screen. What are the downsides of it?

I do not need NVIDIA GPU with OS X and Intel is doing just fine. But my problem is exactly as you say, swapping ultrabay in/out. When I tried this I booted normally not in safe mode but I had not had much time with it to try fix things. I always wondered how Intel card disappear completely when we boot Windows with ultrabay card in and kept asking what is attached to the display? How the optimus card gets itself attached to display? I guess this is wrong and the correct is the other way around. The ultrabay PCI-E seems to be connected to the display and not the optimus. So while the optimus card will not work in OS X as Apple has different propitiatory approach to get gpu switching works, connecting ultrabay card is totally different thing and COULD really work! this is a theory for now thought!

Back to you, if it suddenly reboots then you could try booting with/without injecting NVIDIA, injecting EDID, nv_disable=1 and nvda_drv=1 boot flags, or ACPI files (I think they are relevant as we have patch renamed GFX to IGPU at some point). I can't comment on the downsides now but can say my experience is not good so far. I couldn't get to have proper VRAM and the process broke loading some kexts (VoodooPs2Controller, VoodooHDA).

Also, if you want to disable nvidia GPU whatsoever, you can use the SSDT I've once provided in the previous topic.

I think it is included in the thread download section with other ACPI files as yours were the basis (the guide is still needs edits and I will give you and others the credit you all deserve). However, I received a comment from Rehabman at some point saying the SSDT for disabling optimus is 'an attempt but not working'. He said the method _OFF() have to be called in the SSDT to actually disable the card.

Sfairat

Sfairat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Hello,

I think it is included in the thread download section with other ACPI files as yours were the basis (the guide is still needs edits and I will give you and others the credit you all deserve). However, I received a comment from Rehabman at some point saying the SSDT for disabling optimus is 'an attempt but not working'. He said the method _OFF() have to be called in the SSDT to actually disable the card.

Well, if you take a closer look at this ssdt, it consists of

\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._DSM (Buffer (0x10)
{
/* 0000 */ 0xF8, 0xD8, 0x86, 0xA4, 0xDA, 0x0B, 0x1B, 0x47,
/* 0008 */ 0xA7, 0x2B, 0x60, 0x42, 0xA6, 0xB5, 0xBE, 0xE0
}, 0x0100, 0x1A, Buffer (0x04)
{
0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03
})
If (One)
{
\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._PS3 ()
}

If you look at _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._PS3 method in ssdt5, you'll find this

If (LEqual (\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.OMPR, 0x03))
            {
                \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF ()
                Store (One, DGOS)
                Store (0x02, \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.OMPR)
            }

so, it calls _OFF method if OMPR is set to 3.

And, if you look at what _DSM does with the parameters provided in the call, you'll notice that one of the side-effects will be setting OMPR to 3. Looks like _DSM with these parameters makes some preparations needed to turn GPU off safely/in a proper way.

Also, in your guide you recommend to inject string into AirPortBrcm4360 > info.plist > IONameMatch. There's a bit more update-safe way. You can do Toleda's DSDT patch from here http://www.insanelym...pcie-half-mini/ , there's only one difference: in the original patch, properties are injected into RP04. In our DSDT, RP04 is wired LAN, and wireless LAN is RP05, so you have to inject PXSX into it, or you'll break both LAN and WLAN.

The ultrabay PCI-E seems to be connected to the display and not the optimus.

This is highly unlikely. In windows, NVidia reports that display is connected to GPU#0, which is not ultrabay GPU. Maybe I'll have more time to get it working on the weekend.

I stopped getting such problem once I fixed the Clover version and most of its configurations, efi images, etc. It is not a scientific approach and I have not made any research for the reason to get these but certain configuration can lead to this. The steps I listed here in the guide will not result in this, I hope.

I think that this is related to DSDT patching, though the only patch I have is FixRegions. I'm gonna try Clover's debugLog/have a closer look at my dsdts.

bogdangepe

bogdangepe

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

If i copy yours kext from download in EFI / CLOVER / KEXTS / 10.10, is required to delete kext identical from System / Library / EXTENSIONS? From what I know it is not good to have two kext the same on a system. I managed to make it myself, but from what I noticed embarks on a long time, compared to 10.9.

Thanks for your hard work.

Hassan El Desouky

Hassan El Desouky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi there .

Yes, because starts automatically with integrated video card(nvidia). I can start without nv_disable=1, but I have 0 mb. When i entered Fake ID, there was no difference.

Fake ID https://github.com/C...tform/nvidia.c 

I think is good 

First :-

Are you have a ULTRABAY card ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Secondly :-

This page can't be found , i think it removed Because this Fake ID don't work .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thirdly :-

What about this Page ?

http://forum.techinf...-vbios-mod.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fourthly :-

I'm haven't ULTRABAY card , Can i make the PCi card is the main card ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fifthly :- 

I'm haven't Windows i was deleted it for 3 months , Now i'm have the mac Only .
i want the laptop Boot on mac Directly what should i do ? 

---------

Sorry for my bad English :D

Thanks 

bogdangepe

bogdangepe

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Yes, i have video card on ultrabay. The system sees but does not work.

Hassan El Desouky

Hassan El Desouky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Yes, i have video card on ultrabay. The system sees but does not work.

on my laptop the system sees as nVidia Chip :/

ahmed_ais

ahmed_ais

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Hello,
Well, if you take a closer look at this ssdt, it consists of

\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._DSM (Buffer (0x10)
{
/* 0000 */ 0xF8, 0xD8, 0x86, 0xA4, 0xDA, 0x0B, 0x1B, 0x47,
/* 0008 */ 0xA7, 0x2B, 0x60, 0x42, 0xA6, 0xB5, 0xBE, 0xE0
}, 0x0100, 0x1A, Buffer (0x04)
{
0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03
})
If (One)
{
\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._PS3 ()
}
If you look at _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._PS3 method in ssdt5, you'll find this
            If (LEqual (\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.OMPR, 0x03))
            {
                \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF ()
                Store (One, DGOS)
                Store (0x02, \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.OMPR)
            }
so, it calls _OFF method if OMPR is set to 3.
And, if you look at what _DSM does with the parameters provided in the call, you'll notice that one of the side-effects will be setting OMPR to 3. Looks like _DSM with these parameters makes some preparations needed to turn GPU off safely/in a proper way.

Thanks for this, I got the mentioned feedback long ago and I didn't have time to investigate it. Maybe Rehabman didn't look through all SSDts. I will look though it again.

Also, in your guide you recommend to inject string into AirPortBrcm4360 > info.plist > IONameMatch. There's a bit more update-safe way. You can do Toleda's DSDT patch from here http://www.insanelym...pcie-half-mini/ , there's only one difference: in the original patch, properties are injected into RP04. In our DSDT, RP04 is wired LAN, and wireless LAN is RP05, so you have to inject PXSX into it, or you'll break both LAN and WLAN.

The way I do, though not update-safe, was the only way at one point to get it working I guess. I never looked back but to get the new bits to patch. I will look into that again, thanks!

This is highly unlikely. In windows, NVidia reports that display is connected to GPU#0, which is not ultrabay GPU. Maybe I'll have more time to get it working on the weekend.

I'm not sure of anything yet, I was highly influenced by those who say optimus card will NEVER work as it is not attached to display. But again, the ultrabay serves GPU, SSD, or DVD so it doesn't make any sense to be attached to display!

The built-in NVIDIA card must be connected to display somehow, and the bios must have a way to disable Intel.

I think that this is related to DSDT patching, though the only patch I have is FixRegions. I'm gonna try Clover's debugLog/have a closer look at my dsdts.

Before you dig into that if you think it is related to DSDT, try boot without them. If they are faulty you should be able to boot just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy