I love the "Quiz" that kills spammers!

22 posts in this topic

The quiz was easy pz for me 'cause I was googling about hackintosh's long befor i cam here (I was googling about hackintsoh's a cuople of years ago).

No it's keep newbies from posting in places asking to be spoon fed.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

The best thing about the quiz, IMO, is that it requires users to know at least a little bit about how computers work. If they don't already know, they have to do some research, and end up learning more than they would otherwise; thus, it helps them more in the long run.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

The best thing about the quiz, IMO, is that it requires users to know at least a little bit about how computers work. If they don't already know, they have to do some research, and end up learning more than they would otherwise; thus, it helps them more in the long run.

No ts keep newbies from posting in places asking to be spoon fed.

I agree 100%

I was very surprised in the beggining, but I surely passed all quizes. I find its a great idea.

Some people that dont even know what brand of CPU they got are asking help to make Hackintosh? wtf

Of course we want everybody included but you need to be able to give something back to these tremendous amount of people that are helping you. If you just give them work and expect instant results you dont deserve an account in this forum, not even get to read it, at least in my humble oppinion

• 1 month later...

I just managed the quiz, barely. You kids need to understand that people like myself (+60) were not brought up in a world of computers (not totally true as in the early 80's I fiddled around with Sinclair Z80's and Spectrums to the extent of learning  8 bit machine code). I doubt if many would know what a slide rule is, let alone how to use one!

Some of you can probably perform marvels with a computer, and I admire what you are able to achieve and share within this website.

Sooo, what am I doing here? Here goes....

Purchased a Mac Pro Desktop early 2008 model 3.1 two weeks ago, was impressed when I pulled it to bits as it did not resemble the tinny light weight mess of wires that are used to run Windows.  Threw an extra 16Gb of ram in it plus extra HDD's. Installed Mavericks, El cap and Win7 booted individually via Quickboot 1.1. Started to experiment with the Mac to get used to its OSX, realised quickly that I know very little after reading a few articles about Macs, thus, ended up on this website looking for information primarily regarding yjdeo cards.

I have an objection to forking out for an ETI card specifically for a Mac when an equivalent for Windows is 30% of the price (highway robbery)!!

Thus am here looking for solutions to connect something like a standard GTX 570 (anyone have a better suggestion other than a huge GTX 780Ti) to the Mac that will function with the three operating systems installed. Looking being the keyword, managed to find a wealth of information which is somewhat technical, think I browsed the wrong forum threads, can some kind soul point me in the right direction?

If achieving my goal involves a great deal of hacking the system (taking hours/days) tell me to buy an ETI card and shut up :)

Rgds R.

• Like 2

Usually these Pc cards such the latest geforce, works on real macs just installing the Nvidia Web Drivers, but as far as I know they just show the OS when it reaches the login window, not the boot screen, verbose or single user stuff...

I've read somewhere that some cards can be flashed with modded roms to achieve full functionality.

Good luck on this little adventure!

• Like 1

Hi tarq71  :)

I really liked how you called us "kids" and how I felt just after that, something like "Hey guys, here's grandpa!!!".   :lol:

Anyway, welcome at InsanelyMac    ^_^

About your GTX 570 - it will work with native drivers if your device-id is 0x108110DE but if you have device-id 0x108610DE (like my PNY GTX 570), then you will have to install the latest Nvidia Web Driver for each OS X.   ;)

For that, you can use our Nvidia WebDriver Updater app - here.

Good luck ;)

• Like 2

Hi tarq71   :)

I really liked how you called us "kids" and how I felt just after that, something like "Hey guys, here's grandpa!!!".   :lol:

Anyway, welcome at InsanelyMac     ^_^

About your GTX 570 - it will work with native drivers if your device-id is 0x108110DE but if you have device-id 0x108610DE (like my PNY GTX 570), then you will have to install the latest Nvidia Web Driver for each OS X.   ;)

For that, you can use our Nvidia WebDriver Updater app - here.

Good luck ;)

Thanks for the fast reply.

Grandpa seems appropriate but an odd one with hair down half my back and find most my age boring old ***** :)

Don't want to be a nuisance, but I will anyway... Tried a oldish GTX NVid 620 on the Mavericks installation with the appropriate driver just got a message 'incompatible with OSX'. Maybe I need to check the version again or install something or other to run the drivers (all that Chameleon stuff in starters guide)?

In any case will grab a GTX570 from Ebay. I will get there sooner or (probably) later installing the vid card.

Small point, does performance increase to a substantial degree installing eSATA and USB3 cards? Opinions seem to vary on the subject... I am more inclined to trust your opinion than some of the garbage plastered all over the web.

Rgds R.

• 2 weeks later...

Allan, when did I do it, please?