Status of Unlocker 2.0

Donk

226 posts in this topic

Thanks to Sam's great detective work I can confirm that last piece of the puzzle has been found for ESXi 6. I will work on the code now to add the last patches into ESXi 6. It will be a couple of days, and likely the weekend before I can get this all done, due to other commitments. Attached a screenshot for your viewing please. And once again thanks to Sam for his work on getting this working.

Donk / Sam,

Congratulations, as always if I can be of any assistance with any final testing or checks, let me know.

MSoK.

Thanks to Sam's great detective work I can confirm that last piece of the puzzle has been found for ESXi 6. I will work on the code now to add the last patches into ESXi 6. It will be a couple of days, and likely the weekend before I can get this all done, due to other commitments. Attached a screenshot for your viewing please. And once again thanks to Sam for his work on getting this working.

Code is written and Sam B and MSoK are testing before I release it.

• Like 1

I also would like to throw in a huge thanks to all the devs who are working on ESXi 6 compatibility. I updated ESXi to 6.0 the day before I had the bright idea to throw OSX in a VM. I'm ready to help test if needed, but my coding skills are for {censored}. 

Released 2.0.5 see the main topic on unlocker 2.

New release on its way with, wait for it, vCenter compatibility. Once again thanks to Sam B for finding the place to patch.

• Like 3

Nice. Just to clarify, if you create a v11 VM in vCenter it still PSOD's ESXi? Or does this only apply to creating a Guest VM that's OSX and v11 hardware?

Sam B and myself found that it was OK and did not crash on ESXi 6 and also Workstation 11.1.2 on Linux. Still bombs out on Windows. Give it a go and let me know if you can confirm our observations

Really nice job!!! One tip, "beamoff" works wonders at improving graphics performance in Yosemite. Using the new VMRC for access, performance is almost the same as a real Mac!

Does this also apply to running OSX guests in ESXi and Workstation 11 or only Fusion?

• 1 month later...

Background: I've been using this for several years now. I can't get my job done without it. (Well not without plopping a Mac on my desk).

Praise: The spectacular work on this project has made my work MUCH easier.

Question: I'm not sure when Workstation 12 dropped, but has there been any talk about Unlocker for it?

Thanks!

Douglas Bowie

Looks like 2.06 works just fine.

@Donk: FYI, the 2.06 installer calls itself Unlocker 2.05

EDIT:

You may find that the new darwin.iso may fail on installation. I had to uninstall then install VMware tools fresh to get it to install right.

A new wave of VMware Products is out today. Hope that there will be news from Unlocker too.

I have only had time to test on Workstation Pro12 n Windows, but it is all working for me. You still need to do the smc.version = "0" change.

Looks like 2.06 works just fine.

@Donk: FYI, the 2.06 installer calls itself Unlocker 2.05

EDIT:

You may find that the new darwin.iso may fail on installation. I had to uninstall then install VMware tools fresh to get it to install right.

Thanks I rushed 2.0.6 out just after 2.0.5 and obviously missed a number change.

• Like 1

I have only had time to test on Workstation Pro12 n Windows, but it is all working for me. You still need to do the smc.version = "0" change.

Thank you for your reply. I'm going to try it with the latest version of Windows and Mac OSX.