Asus K450JN - Disabling NVIDIA and brightness fix?

baga255

13 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I have managed to boot Yosemite 10.10 on the following laptop:

Asus K450JN

Intel Quad-Core i7-4700HQ, 2.4 GHz (Haswell)

8GB RAM

Intel HD 4600 Integrated GPU

NVIDIA GeForce 840m 2GB

So far, I have managed to get most of the hardware working. The following features are still not working (ordered by my priorities):

- NVIDIA GPU is still detected in System Report  (Solved by patching INI method in ssdt-7.aml with _OFF)

- Sleep (it turns off the display, but the laptop keeps running and turns the display back on after a couple of seconds)

- No brightness slider under Display in System Preferences  (fixed by loading the SSDT's correctly)

- Touchpad multitouch (it only works in mouse emulation mode for now)

- Internal microphone (audio out is working as expected) Fixed by using a modified Realtek ALC887 VoodooHDA kext

I'm looking to solutions to these problems, so any suggestions are welcome!

I have managed to extract DSDT/SSDT files from a Linux installation, and patched them with Haswell brightness fix and GFX0 -> IGPU patch (MaciASL). I've read here on the forums that that should enable me to adjust brightness, and should also fix sleep, but unfortunately it doesn't work for some reason. My original Linux DSDT/SSDT and the patched ones are in the attachment, so maybe someone can help me solve this problem.

I have also tried disabling Nvidia GPU using the guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2030047 , but I couldn't find the section where I should put _OFF ().

I am still trying to figure out solution for the other problems, but for now, any help is welcome!
Thanks

patched_dsdt-ssdt.zip

dsdt-ssdt_from_linux.zip

You probably didn't drop OEM SSDTs. You must drop the OEM SSDTs in order to provide patched SSDTs.

Hello RehabMan, thanks for the reply!

Using "DropSSDT=True" flag while booting with Chameleon didn't have an impact unfortunately. Still no brightness slider, and sleep still just turns off the display. Is there anything else that I might have overlooked?

Hello RehabMan, thanks for the reply!

Using "DropSSDT=True" flag while booting with Chameleon didn't have an impact unfortunately. Still no brightness slider, and sleep still just turns off the display. Is there anything else that I might have overlooked?

DropSSDT=True is not valid. Must be DropSSDT=Yes or DropSSDT=No.

If still not working, post ioreg with IORegistryExplorer v2.1. Also, provide DSDT/SSDTs in /Extra and org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

DropSSDT=True is not valid. Must be DropSSDT=Yes or DropSSDT=No.

If still not working, post ioreg with IORegistryExplorer v2.1. Also, provide DSDT/SSDTs in /Extra and org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

I didn't even notice, thanks! I tried with DropSSDT=Yes and nothing changed. The files are in the attachment.

files.zip

I didn't even notice, thanks! I tried with DropSSDT=Yes and nothing changed. The files are in the attachment.

There is no call to _OFF anywhere... (so, don't expect nvidia to be turned off). You should try calling _OFF from the _INI in ssdt-7.aml.

You did not provide ioreg file from IORegistryExplorer v2.1.

IntelAzulFB is not a kernel flag and has no effect where you're placed it.

There is no call to _OFF anywhere... (so, don't expect nvidia to be turned off). You should try calling _OFF from the _INI in ssdt-7.aml.

You did not provide ioreg file from IORegistryExplorer v2.1.

IntelAzulFB is not a kernel flag and has no effect where you're placed it.

Sorry, first time using ioreg. I added the correct file now hopefully!

I also moved the IntelAzulFB from kernel flags.

ioreg.zip

Sorry, first time using ioreg. I added the correct file now hopefully!

I also remove the IntelAzulFB from kernel flags.

None of your SSDTs are loading. Chameleon loads in order: SSDT.AML, SSDT-1.aml, SSDT-2.aml, etc. It stops when it does not find the first one. You have no SSDT.aml, nor SSDT-1.aml, so none of the others (starting at SSDT-2.aml) will be loaded.

None of your SSDTs are loading. Chameleon loads in order: SSDT.AML, SSDT-1.aml, SSDT-2.aml, etc. It stops when it does not find the first one. You have no SSDT.aml, nor SSDT-1.aml, so none of the others (starting at SSDT-2.aml) will be loaded.

You're right, they are not there. I could've sworn I put the ssdt-1.aml there. But still, I don't have the SSDT.AML, since the generated SSDT's from linux started from SSDT1, so I renamed them from SSDT1 to ssdt-1.aml, SSDT2 to ssdt-2.aml, etc.

Is the SSDT.AML somehow special, or can I just rename "ssdt-1.aml" to "ssdt.aml", "ssdt-2.aml" to "ssdt-1.aml", etc?

I really appreciate the help! Pardon my newbieness

EDIT:

Also, when I extracted the SSDT's from linux, some of them were in a sub-folder falled "dynamic". Do I also have to include those? Thanks

EDIT2:

I renamed the ssdt-*.aml files to start from ssdt.aml, ssdt-1.aml, ssdt-2.aml, etc.

The system booted properly, and I think it loaded the SSDT's. But still no brightness slider in the System Preferences though.

New ioreg is attached

ioreg2.zip

You're right, they are not there. I could've sworn I put the ssdt-1.aml there. But still, I don't have the SSDT.AML, since the generated SSDT's from linux started from SSDT1, so I renamed them from SSDT1 to ssdt-1.aml, SSDT2 to ssdt-2.aml, etc.

Is the SSDT.AML somehow special, or can I just rename "ssdt-1.aml" to "ssdt.aml", "ssdt-2.aml" to "ssdt-1.aml", etc?

I really appreciate the help! Pardon my newbieness

EDIT:

Also, when I extracted the SSDT's from linux, some of them were in a sub-folder falled "dynamic". Do I also have to include those? Thanks

EDIT2:

I renamed the ssdt-*.aml files to start from ssdt.aml, ssdt-1.aml, ssdt-2.aml, etc.

The system booted properly, and I think it loaded the SSDT's. But still no brightness slider in the System Preferences though.

New ioreg is attached

With 19 SSDTs loaded in ioreg, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you forgot DropSSDT=Yes.

With 19 SSDTs loaded in ioreg, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you forgot DropSSDT=Yes.

You were right, I did forget DropSSDT=Yes. After putting that, brightness fix is working! :)

Also, I patched ssdt-7.aml with the NVIDIA patch and it worked!

Sleep is still kinda buggy, though. The laptop practically turns off instead of sleeping, so when I turn it on, Chameleon says that is unable to recover the state, and asks to boot normally.

Thank you sooo much, you saved me a lot of trouble! :)

You were right, I did forget DropSSDT=Yes. After putting that, brightness fix is working! :)

Also, I patched ssdt-7.aml with the NVIDIA patch and it worked!

Sleep is still kinda buggy, though. The laptop practically turns off instead of sleeping, so when I turn it on, Chameleon says that is unable to recover the state, and asks to boot normally.

Thank you sooo much, you saved me a lot of trouble! :)

Sleep is complex, but a prereq is correct native power management.

Just for reference, sleep solved by running the following commands:

"sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0"

"sudo rm -rf /var/vm/sleepimage"

Though, it only seems to work while every USB devices is plugged out of the laptop, and the charger too.

One last big problem left, touchpad. I have the FocalTech touchpad, so I guess there are still no drivers for that one. Though, I saw that they managed to make multitouch work in the Linux kernel. Hopefully someone knowledgeable wil be able to port it to hackintoshes :)

Source: http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg34056.html