Yosemite seems to hibernate, can't wake/resume - Disable Hibernate?

mattsnowboard

5 posts in this topic

So I've had a problem in the past where my hackintosh does this: It is sleeping (for a long time) and I go to wake it up, the fans/LEDs come on but there is no display or anything. Force shutdown with the power button and boot again results in the same situation. I've found the only solution was to reset CMOS settings so the PC will boot directly to the BIOS configuration and I can set it up again.

This only happened once in the past (I thought it was an issue with the GPU failing and reseatting the GPU + reseting CMOS fixed it), but now with Yosemite it's happened twice (which is every time it's been sleeping for more than 2 hours so far).

I found that Yosemite had entered hibernation and that seems to be the culprit. So first I tried to disable hibernation:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Sleep seemed to work fine, but after about 2 hours it woke up and that seemed to put it back into hibernation (it's back in a state where I can't boot).

So I have 2 problems I want to solve:

1) Root issue: How do I actually disable hibernation in Yosemite? I need to reset CMOS to get back into OSX and confirm the settings (and verify that it was actually hibernation causing this), but I thought it should be off. I have no need for the feature and the normal sleep/wake works perfectly (as it has for previous OS versions). Update: I verified that it did hibernate, verified that hibernatemode is 0, tried deleting the sleepimage, but after a couple hours it still did a new hibernate and is in this state again.

2) Workaround: How can I boot from a hibernated disk without opening the case and resetting CMOS? This is pretty annoying, but since I don't even get to the POST screen, I have no way to do anything when it just boots to a blank screen. When I do get the CMOS reset and go to BIOS, Clover shows Mac as hibernated and I can select the option to boot and clear the hibernation state, but I have no way to get to that point right now because the hibernation resume bypasses it completely. I'd like a solution to this so I can debug the root issue more easily without opening the case.

This is a Vanilla install of 10.8 with app store updates to 10.9 and 10.10 which went off mostly without a hitch. Using Clover UEFI, minimal kexts, and no DSDT. Build is in my signature.

Another update:

So with the pmset to turn off hibernation and deleting the sleepimage, I still see hibernation in the console and Clover shows it as hibernated after I clear the CMOS to reboot.

I can post the console if that is helpful, but here is a summary:

1) Normal sleep

2) 2 hours later, wake reason RTC alarm/maintenance

3) 1 minute later, wake reason XHC (probably the USB mouse or something?)

4) Hibernation around this time

I am now trying NeverHibernate in Clover and I'm disabling standby with pmset just to be safe. Will report back, any other help is appreciated.

I'm experiencing the same issue. Hibernation seem to only occur when there is no user activity for 12 hours or so (?).

Clover NeverHibernate didn't prevent the hanging. I had to manually cancel hibernation during boot in clover..

Update:

I've done:

sudo pmset -a standby 0

So far that seems to have worked. Mac stayed asleep all night (well it still has the well-known 2 hour wake up for RTC) and woke up this morning. I'm waiting until this evening to confirm it's fixed but I think Standby was the problem.

@diddl14, can you try that and see if it fixes it for you as well?

Here is my pmset output if anyone else has a similar issue:

$ pmset -g
Active Profiles:
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
 standby              0
 Sleep On Power Button 1
 womp                 1
 autorestart          0
 hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
 darkwakes            0
 networkoversleep     0