How I Got My GT 640 to work

BNZfive

7 posts in this topic

Ever since DP4 and beyond my system would show me the boot logo and then once the system had started my dual monitors would lose signal and go to sleep. All the while the rest of the system continued to run.

To get the system to boot completely I would take the NVDA*.kexts from DP1 and insert them into DP4 onto 10.10 GM

Than came 10.10.1 and this no longer worked.

BTW- I am using Chameleon as my bootloader

What does work?

This is what works for me: (FIRST- Backup your NVDA*.kexts AND geforce*.kexts from 10.10 GM)

1) Install 10.10.1 (from /Library/Updates/031-12265/OSXUpd10.10.1.pkg) -Software update will download the install pkg to here. I prefer not to update through SWUpdate. Installing via the pkg directly seems to go a little smoother.

2)DON'T REBOOT

3a)Use Kext Utility of your choice to install NVDA.Kexts (from DP1 found here: DP1 NVDA.zip ) AND geforce*.kexts (from 10.10 found here geforce 10.10.zip )

3b)Use Kext Utility of your choice to install FakeSMC.kext AND any other system specific kexts you may need (audio, ethernet, trim, etc)

4. Rebuild Kext Cache ( sudo kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions )

5.Reboot

6.Enjoy

My system specs are as follows:

GA-H61N-USB3 Rev.1

i5 2500k

EVGA GT 640 2GB DDR3

Toshiba 256GB SSD

Seagate 500GB HDD

Western Digital 320 HDD

ASUS 23" HDMI connected

acer 20" DVI-D connected

hi..

fyi...  I have an gt630..with yosemite 10.10.1.. audio voodoo 2.8.7, with clover just have to inject nvidia at "options", "graphics'...

on an other machine with gtx 650  I do not inject nothing..works oob , 

is weird you have to put old kexts to an gt 640 to make it to work..but as it is working...   B)

c.frio

• Like 1

Yes, it is rather odd. GT 640 should work oob. It did for 10.7-10.10 DP2 (or 3, my memory is a little foggy) but once I got to DP4 and past it would boot only so far, when time came to post the login screen my monitors would go "no signal" as the rest of the machine continued to run. Very odd indeed.

I share what I have found in the off chance others are experiencing the same thing.

• Like 1

I did at one time try booting with just one display connected (dvi) and also using smbios of a MacPro3,1 and that worked. If I then tried to connect the second display to HDMI I would get an instant kernel panic. I then tried both displays connected to dvi (vs dvi and hdmi) and booting, that worked also. This leads me to believe that somewhere along the way the mini-HDMI port got disabled. I use HDMI for my audio so I made a backup of my 10.10 GM and experimented with kexts to find out what would get my monitors working, gfx card performing correctly, and allow sleep/wake.

W/ all 10.10.1 kexts, Smbios set as MacPro3,1:

Dvi + Hdmi = no login screen, monitors go "no signal" system continues to run

Single Dvi = Boots correctly with full acceleration

Dvi + dvi = boots correctly with full acceleration

Dvi at boot + plug hdmi after login = kernel panic instantly after hdmi plugged in

• 5 months later...

This problem no longer exist with 10.10.3

Clean install of 10.10.3 works flawlessly with my system, and in particular my GT 640 (EVGA 2GB GDDR3)

All ports (HDMI, DVI, DVI) work

Full QE/CI acceleration

System sleep/wake works

HDMI audio (from GT 640) works

Using Clover (legacy) as boot loader