[build diary] Yosemite Install with Asus Maximus vii gene + GTX970

Sai Hayashi

2 posts in this topic

Hi all!

So this is my first post on insanelymac and just want to share my install procedures on my new gaming rig, as I haven't really found anyone posting similar specs.

It also serves as a diary/reference entry in case I ever need to re-run the whole installation process in the future.

If this subforum isn't where this should belong then let me know and we'll see what we can do about it.

So my first attempt with mavericks was rather straight forward, in fact much more straight forward than the yosemite install, basically just package the install using myHack and bam there you go.

With Yosemite install, because of the myHack dev's inactivity (apparently he has encountered some side issues and hardware failure of his own), so I have to do it the manual way, which is not too bad once I realised what is actually needed to get the machine working, that will be talked about later in the post.

Basically my hardware specs:

• Asus ROG Maximus Vii gene motherboard: mATX, z97, LGA 1150
  • Intel Quad core i7 4790k CPU (4.0GHz, can OC to 4.4GHz)
  • Asus GTX770 GPU -> Asus Strix GTX970 GPU
  • Intel 730 SSD 240G -> 480G, + another 500G sata HDD from previous machines for extra storage
  • Corsair vengence 1300MHz ram 16G (2x 8G)
  • Antec HCG-750M PSU
  • 4x cooling fans (2x Noctua NF-S12A pwm and 2x dc fans from the case), Coolermaster Nepton 140XL liquid cooler, BitFenix Prodigy M case

OS history:

• Dualboot: OSX 10.9 Mavericks + Windows 8.1
  • Dualboot: OSX 10.10 Yosemite + Windows 8.1

Pre-configuration:

BIOS

Basically all you need to do is disable Secure boot from the BIOS and set the boot option to UEFI (If you want legacy support go for it, but UEFI is what you need with Clover)

Equipments:

Clover installer pkg

Yosemite Installation app

Windows 8.1 installation files (if you're dual booting)

minimum of 8GB USB stick for installation (I would prefer having 2 sticks, one for osx and one for windows installation)

I won't go over too much details with trivial installation stuffs unless there's a demand for dummy-proof step by step instructions.

But for dual booting you need to do things in a specific order (what I found being the easiest).

These steps need to be performed on an osx environment.  (until otherwise instructed).

When prepping your Yosemite installer USB, make sure (triple check!) that you repartition the entire USB disk in GUID partition table, create a HFS partition and mount it after formatting is completed.  Clover doesn't seem to pick up the difference if it's in MBR even if you specify UEFI only installation.

Next use Yosemite installer app's createinstallmedia program in terminal (Note that I have taken out the paths as everyone is different and you should have basic knowledge to google/understanding bash or shell:

sudo <PATH-TO-YOUR-INSATLLER>/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume <PATH-TO-YOUR-USB-partition> --applicationpath <PATH-TO-YOUR-INSATLLER>/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction

Once the osx installer is ready, launch Clover installer pkg, Change Install location to your usb, then click "customize", check

"Install for UEFI booting only", "Install Clover in the ESP", "Drivers64UEFI" -> "EmuVariableUefi-64 (or v2 or it)" and osxAptioFixDrv-64"

Then go thru the rest of the installation.

Now you have USB stick containing Clover bootloader and Yosemite installation.

You would want to also modify the EFI's config.plist to help with installation boot (or you can add the boot flags every time in clover).

To mount the EFI on usb stick

run

diskutil list

Find out the EFI partition in the usb stick (probably disk1s1 or something similar)

sudo mkdir -p /Volumes/efi
sudo mount -t msdos /dev/<your-efi-partition> /Volumes/efi

now edit the file /Volumes/efi/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist and edit (or add) the Arguments pairs under Boot dictionary

<key>Boot</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Arguments</key>
        <string>nv_disable=1 npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1 -v</string>

This will point Clover to boot for LGA-1150 (1155 and 1156 apparently), force disable nvidia video and gaphics altogether, enable kext (critical for yosemite), and boot in verbose mode.

dart=0 I'm not sure if it works or not but since this is mark 1 yosemite build I'll leave it in there until I found it unnecessary.

Optional:  Place your kexts in /Volumes/efi/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/ (most likely you need to create the folder first),

for my USB I have 3 kexts to get everything working:

1. appleintele1000e.kext (Ethernet port)
  2. FakeSMC.kext (Use the latest one you can find for yosemite)
  3. VoodooHDA.kext (If you use the asus sound card, this is the only kext I found that can get the audio to work, but still not perfect perfect).

Now that you have your USB installers all ready, time to get to the real deal.

INSTALLATION (Dual Boot)

If you're only doing osx86 installs then skip everything windows.

The flow is to create the right partition schemes in osx, then install windows FIRST, then install osx, then clover, then all your post installation stuffs.

To dual boot, you have to first boot your rig into osx (or osx installation).  

Once you are in an OSX environment, launch Disk Utility:

Partition your target disk in the following manner (This I find the easiest and fastest way without any panic from either OSes)

Select the "2 partitions" from "Partition Layout".

Click "Options", and check GUID Partition table.

Click first partition, work out your partition size and in "NFS Journaled extended",

Click second partition, and select "Free Space"  (Trust me, you want windows to handle the partition of NTFS, otherwise windows panics that your disk is in hybrid MBR)

Confirm the partition.  Done.

Now boot into the windows usb installer, if everything was done right from above, you should be able to click on the free space and partition a new NTFS partition that you can install windows on.

Go through the windows installation process, blah.

Once you are happy with your windows installation, we can proceed to the next phase - installing osx.  

(I recommend leaving driver installation after you can dual boot in case you make a mistake and have to restart the process)

Installing osx:

Because we have prepped the yosemite USB beforehand, this should go straight into the osx installation without having to wait for too long (Off the head its about 2 mins boot time to get to the welcome dialog?)

By now your disk should already have the right partition to allow you to select the HFS+ partition and install straight away.

When the installation restarts, make sure you are still booting to Clover's bootloader, then select the machine's osx partition so that it boots to the next stage of installation.

Upon the end of phase 2 installation it should actually roll into a working OSX environment.

Then, install Clover on your osx partition, it should keep the windows' EFI untouched and separate so u can choose Clover from BIOS's boot options.

At the end of Clover install, repeat the steps for patching /EFI but on your local disk (most likely it is now disk0s1)

Note:  I recommend using Clover to inject the kext instead of placing them in /S/L/E, cause for my first attempt the kernel always hang and I was unable to recover them)

Reboot and test that both OS still boots exactly the way you want to.

Next, I'm going to talk about how I got my Nvidia card working in Yosemite.

(Because of forum rules I can't share the exact link to the driver, but the filename is WebDriver-343.01.02f01_nohw.pkg.zip so look it up yourself, it's very high up on search result)

So find the nvidia web driver for yosemite, install it.

For 10.10.1 you need to use the patched version repacked by someone else because the official one performs hardware checks =(

Once installation completes, go to your local EFI's config.plist and edit the boot flags to

nvda_drv=1 npci=0x2000 dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1

-v in the usb installer was for verbose mode to give transparency whether the machine has hang or backtracing errors.  nvda_drv tells the kernel to expect nvidia video

And if all goes well you should be able to boot into osx with proper video support.

Also you might want to install nVidia's CUDA driver for osx.

That's pretty much the basic steps how I installed yosemite on my rig.  I'll cover more details when I'm off work or if people demands.

Also worth pointing out is GTX770 works on both Mavericks and Yosemite, while GTX970 is only supported on Yosemite.
The driver is definitely written using Yosemite SDK so I won't expect a direct extraction will work on Mavericks, your best bet is to either install Yosemite or wait for a backport.
  • Like 3

• 8 months later...

I did 3 times a good yosemite success with pandora tool.. and by removing the plist blacklist kext procedure. in my MAXIM V GENE

but my problem is that I cannot work as in ML
I used the latest DMG from APP STORE for YOS (latest patch)
I always work as root user. and here I have the same problems:

1) finder never save passwords
2) desktop never save icon positions
3) some other troubles in too strong sandboxes hardening and I cannot load a lot of APPs.

So I came back to ML