[Guide] Yosemite 10.10.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

461 posts in this topic

Kexts conflicts between AppleHDA & VoodooHDA.

I assume that you have both in /System/Library/Extensions and have no AppleHDADisabler.kext ? Right ?

So try to install VoodooHDA 2.8.7 pkg from HackintoshOSX, it should install AppleHDADisabler.kext and the latest VoodooHDA.kext. No need to remove AppleHDA in this case (anyway, it would re-install at every OS Update).

You should be fine with that.

Sir thank you for your quick reply --

You are correct i do not have HDADisablerm only got AppleHDA -- Going to try to install VoodooHDA pkg and report back if I get anymore on boot panics

khuongs-iMac:Extensions root# ls -la |grep AppleHDA
drwxr-xr-x    3 root  wheel   102 Oct 28 00:46 AppleHDA.kext

Hello

first of all many Thanks for this excellent Tutorial!

but there are a few questions left

is it possible to activate Handover and Airdrop - I know a Bluetooth LE connection is required but is there still a way to make that work with a standard (which works for my Apple Keyboard and Mouse) Bluetooth Adapter?

How I can get the telephone calls from my iphone displayed on the Dell 780?

and last but not least: if the machine boots up clover displayed me a tiny menu where I must choose Yosemite HD (by pressing enter) unfortunally my Apple Keyboard doesnt work at this moment so I must use a second wired Keyboard

has somebody a recommendation for a camera which works with yosemite - so i can use facetime?

and a little notice I faced the Problem that the Appstore, idrive and imessage wont work all of this was solved when I updated Clover from 3030 to 3350. Now every apple service works out pf the box

regards

ede

You can edit your config.plist to set Yosemite Drive as default, then you won't need a wired keyboard to boot Yosemite. If it is already selected as the

boot drive, and all you need is to press enter, it should timeout and select it by itself after a few seconds. The timeout length can also be changed by editing

the config.plist. I am able to use the Enter Key on my wireless keyboard by repeatedly tapping the key at startup.

I use a Logitech C615 USB HD Webcam for Facetime, it is Plug & Play! :)

IMHO, I think that the guide should totally be rewrote as there's still a lot of unclear/incorrect parts in it.

Actually, it's an "updated" version of the Mavericks guide which was itself an updated version of the very first Mountain Lion iteration.

It's time to start from scratch and write a new and specific guide for Yosemite. Shouldn't be a lot of work as everything is already here to make it so. It just needs reorganization, clarification, checking and re-checking to have a great guide for Dell Optiplex 760/780 owners.

I don't have time to do that at the moment and I do believe that Pepto has the same problem too ;). I can eventually helps for checking.

So if anyone feels comfortable enough to do the job (what about you morpheousman ? ;) ), you're welcome !!!

• Like 1

I am still trying to figure out why my 780 takes so long to boot with Clover. After the splash screen there is a white dash "-" at the top-left of the screen,

and that dash stays there for about 45 seconds before I see the Clover, select partition screen. After that it takes a little over a minute to get to the

desktop. I don't have another clover install to compare this too, but the dash sitting there for 45 seconds after the splash screen seems like something is

wrong. It doesn't even look like the hard dive is firing while that dash is there.

Easy : open Launchpad. if you can see transparency and graphic display runs smoothly, then you have QE/CI.

If you have QE/CI and everything works smoothly, I suggest that you check that your Radeon HD 5450 has really 1Gb of vram and not 512Mo because it seems that your GFX card works perfect.

Ok, so your card uses "virtual" memory in addition of physical vram. That's make sense now. I don't know if it supported by OS X, you'll have to make some benchmarks but I think it should have some impact.

BTW, 40$ is quite expansive for such a card. Radeon HD 5450 1Gb are available for 30€ or less in France :)

It depends of the form factor of the 780. SFF will definitely have low profile cards and I don't know if there is more powerful AMD cards for this format. Maybe nVidia will but then again, I don't know.

If you have Desktop Tower form factor, then you'll have a much larger choice. It will then depends of your budget/needs. Any GFX should be fine as long as you check Hackintosh compatibility for them.

I own a Radeon HD 7700 1 GB and I'm very happy with it even though I'm not an Hardcore gamer :)

Merry Xmas from France :)

@Morpheousman

Try to install an older or newer version of Clover. I've been told that some versions takes forever to load.

I have tried several versions of Clover, no difference

Not really a big deal because I leave it running 24/7, but seems strange it should take so long to do a cold-start or reboot.

• 2 weeks later...

Everybody a happy New Year

I have changed my links because in december i have exceeded my hosting capacity and has to pay for it about 20 euro's, so for now on the files are hosted at Mega. I have already make the change on this topic but not on my PDF file.

It depends of the form factor of the 780. SFF will definitely have low profile cards and I don't know if there is more powerful AMD cards for this format. Maybe nVidia will but then again, I don't know.

If you have Desktop Tower form factor, then you'll have a much larger choice. It will then depends of your budget/needs. Any GFX should be fine as long as you check Hackintosh compatibility for them.

I own a Radeon HD 7700 1 GB and I'm very happy with it even though I'm not an Hardcore gamer :)

Hello again :)

I've got Asus R9 280 (not X) from my friend... I have Kernel panic when tried to boot normaly, Safe boot works... After that I reinstalled yossemite with ati 5450 card, everything works fine, shut down, removed 5450, put r9 280, and again kernel panic and restart after a few seconds :(

Anyone have some advice, I would be gratefull? :)