Perhaps adapt clover for UEFI for BIOS-Based motherboard

Mr. Xtreme

6 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to help?

• Yes, I would!
    • No, it would be to hard to do.

4 posts in this topic

I was thinking if i could have some help I might perhaps adapt clover to make a gpt booter for older amd mobos that are bios only.  I know chameleon works nice on amd but clover doesn't but has advanced features so i was thinking "What if there was a way to have clover for os x configaration such as graphics, smbios, ect. and use chameleon for os booting. Would anyone be interested in participating?

Edited by iHacker Pro

It can already do that. BIOS boots and passes it to Clover that then emulates a kind of (U)EFI like platform thats OS X compatible through efi extensions. It could be better, but considering the direction OS X is going its better to move people onto native 64-bit UEFI platforms that can be slightly modified to handle 64-bit OS X EFI based systems then having to keep adding support or work around the higher expectations of each OS X release.

Ultimately it might be possible to just code a efi extension (for all AMI type UEFI firmwares) that handles OS X natively without to much modification of the underlying BIOS code. Since all Apple's official firmware is a modified version of EFI (Intel's original version before the more vendor agnostic UEFI standard was split off from it) its much more possible to make UEFI behave like Apple EFI then BIOS to. The ozmosis bootloader uses this approach, but requires a more precise per board implementation. Mostly its size constraints and getting EFI extensions and support data injected. UEFI is extremely powerful and far more accessible than BIOS, hence why many feel the need to 'lock it down' through Secure Boot, firmware signing enforcement, write only in shell, limited NVRAM access, etc. Otherwise you could drop to a UEFI shell and sideload all of the OS X compatability stuff directly into the stock firmware, assuming there is enough space.