LOL - Another custom case that I completed in late April.
This case was intended to be a “just for fun” quick project to re-house my thin Haswell motherboard.
The LOL case is a scratch build made up from G5 Power Mac materials from my salvage bin.
As this was intended to be a “zero dollar” build, I used the following components that I already owned.
Motherboard - ECS H87H3-TI, source Amazon
CPU - i7-4770T (45 watt version), source ACME Micro Systems
Memory - Patroit DDR3 SODIM (2x4GB) 1333MHz, source Fry’s Electronics
mSATA - mushkin MKNSSDAT 120GB-V, source Amazon
HDD - Toshiba SATA 1TB 9mm tall, - owned from an early USB3.0 external drive.
CPU Cooler - SilverStone AR04, source Amazon.
And then I moved to using an i3-4330 CPU and updated to 10.9.2. With this hack, I went back to the i7-4770T CPU and found that I had to add “dart=0” boot flag to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist.
As seen here the G5 mesh was repurposed by selectively reassembling bits to make up the core panel. Nothing really new here. Just takes time and patience to get the hole pattern aligned (x, y, and z directions).
It is hard to see here, I used clear food wrap sandwiched between the parts to be epoxied and the alignment pieces.
I masked off all but the row of holes (actually the land area around the holes) control where the epoxy is to be placed.
Then with the masking removed after the epoxy cures. I used JB Weld for this.
This is after sanding away the excess cured epoxy.
I have trimmed the edges and epoxied in some stiffener strips on the inside.
I used may 10” table saw with an 80 tooth blade to rip the handles from a G5 outer shell. Then cut to size seen here.
This was the test “glue up” where I used quick set Loctite epoxy to put the parts together to evaluate the concept… a go or no go decision point.
I decided it was worth while to proceed. And after a lot of work this is core cover.
I then used JB Weld to epoxy the handle part to the core part to form the major portion of the case.
The thin motherboard assembly has plenty of room in the new case shell.
And after many hours and several redos the system is finally complete.
This is a wrap. If you have comments or questions, I will attempt to answer promptly.