Is this laptop hackintosh compatible? (i7-4710MQ + GeForce GTX 860M)

Turbolego

4 posts in this topic

I'm currently looking for a machine that i can dual-boot windows 8.1 and Yosemite on.

This is the model i'm thinking about buying: Multicom Xishan W355S 15.6" Full-HD

specs:

• CPU: i7-4710MQ cpu
  • GPU: nVIDiA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 (Maxwell)
  • Chipset: Intel HM87

I heard that because this machine uses 860M with Optimus, i need to use DSDT / kext patches to turn on either the HD Graphics 4600 on the cpu or use the 860M.

I found this installation guide: [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]: Install OS X Yosemite on Any Supported Intel-based PC

And this [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] guide for power managment:

I also need to do some power management: [GUIDE] Power Management for Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge/Haswell/other Laptops

But are there any guides i should use for the DSDT / kext patches?

Thanks in advance for all your help.  :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

First off i have almost the exact same Laptop your looking into buying, The chassis is the exact same, Have same Graphics Card and one step up on CPU (The i7-4810MQ, Haswell).

Anyway i too have my laptop hackintoshed. I was successfully able to get Mavericks to be installed smoothly at first using the Niresh USB method, with chameleon bootloader. I then wanted to upgrade to Yosemite, and i have everything working except these problems due to my Graphics hardware and the compatibility of OS X Yosemite:

1) I can only boot in safe mode/boot as it wont load my Graphics from the intel5000 kext.

2) When i am in safe mode, since it doesn't load that graphic kext,  i cant get any video ram,  so using my Intel4600 embedded graphics wont have any Quarts Extreme acceleration. This makes my graphics extremely laggy and slow.

I am using Clover as my choice of a boot-loader, and i haven't yet had time to see if i can enable my Nvidia card to work and boot without safe boot. I tried many things and will try more once time gives me a chance since i kinda gave up on it as there is no clear answer to my problem.

But as to answer your question, Yes your system can be hackintoshed. And yes there are many guides online for for you. But its not a easy task as it takes patience and time for error. 

If you do end up getting yours completely working with either of your graphics hardware please post how and what worked as i will be interested in knowing.

If any other questions, please ask, and if anyone else has anything to add to help with my situation or want more info please say so.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Thanks!

I'm gonna get this one instead, same cpu, gpu and chipset, just a smaller form-factor:

http://www.multicom.no/Multicom-Xishan-W230S-13e3-Full-HD-Matte-Intel-Core-i7-4710MQe-8GBe-1TB-HDD-7200rpme-GeForce-GTX-860Me-Uten-operativsystem--2e15-kg/cat-p/c1000042/p10629284

I already have a macbook pro that still works fine for my mac-programs (mid-2010 15" with i7 processor), so i will be using this machine for mainly windows stuff and oculus.

But i'll install 2 mSATA drives in addition to the 1 TB hdd that it comes with, and have windows 8.1 on one mSATA and hackintosh on the other.

From posts on reddit, i have found that it is best to install windows 8.1 while only one mSATA is connected, and nothing else... and after that's done, install hackintosh with only the other mSATA installed, and finally boot the machine with all 3 harddrives (2 x mSATA + 1 x HDD) installed. This should allow you to choose which of the 2 mSATA drives you wanna boot up from on restart.

I'll test out different approaches on installing hackintosh for this machine, and report back periodically if i find a better way etc.  :P

That's almost exactly how I have mine set up, 2 diff mSatta's, just make sure yours has a trim support as than can be tricky with hackintoshing.

Remember the booting is the most important part, it's what runs the whole OS X, a small error in the booting config can make it not work at all.

Thanks and keep me posted on what works.