Clover Theme Manager

blackosx

589 posts in this topic

@droples - Thanks for the comprehensive report :)

@angeloi - No problem. Here's a link to the latest v0.76.1

Changes for v0.76.1
- App can now be run from a read-only volume.
- Script updates can only be performed when app is not on a read-only volume.
- Insert line breaks in to injected html for easier reading.
- Text on loading page, and bootlog info is now non-selectable.
- Debug log mode is now set to off (enable if you experience problems).
- Theme entries in nvram and config.plist are only checked when boot device is selected.
- Removed unused growl framework to reduce app footprint.
- Updated credits.

Important: If upgrading from a previous version the you will need to delete the following file before launching or you will just see grey 'No image' pictures instead of the theme previews.
~/Library/Application Support/CloverThemeManager/theme.html

Note: Just to make it clear - it's in your user directory

Download

Thanks for testing again droples

Checking your 10.7.5mbr files I find two MBR devices are mounted on the system; disk0 and disk1. Your bootlog does identify the boot device, so providing your two MBR devices don't use the same partition structure and don't share the same signature (which could happen), then it should be detected. However, as you have seen, the non-debug log only shows so much and there are some messages that are in the debug log which I'm now thinking I should include in the non-debug log.

I see you tried to enable the debug log but I forgot to show how. Sorry.

To enable the debug log, edit:
/path/to/CloverThemeManager.app/Contents/Resources/public/bash/shared.sh
Line #43; Change DEBUG=0 to DEBUG=1

Thanks

Thanks blackosx!

I changed the option Debug=1.

0.76.1_ID13

OSX_10.7.5mbr+USB Flash Driver with ESP Partition - All is working,but you must be careful when performing MountESP of CTM.
OSX_10.7.5mbr+Usb Flash Driver (Fat32) - is working, but There are some issues about which I wrote earlier.

PS OSX_10.7.5mbr Everything is working fine.

Hi luky35

When Clover Theme Manager loads it looks for Clover's bootlog in ioreg. If found, it then tries to match the SelfDevicePath from the bootlog to a mounted device in the booted OS as you can't manage your boot theme if the app does not have access to your boot device.

If the boot device is on a disk with GPT then all associated partitions are scanned for a matching GUID. If the partition is an EFI System Partition then you are asked for your username and password to mount the ESP.

If the boot device is on a disk with MBR then again all associated partitions are scanned for a matching partition number, starting LBA, block size and signature. The app uses fdisk to find the information so you are asked for your username and password to run it.

If you cancel either of the above password dialogs, or the scan fails to find a match (for example, you booted from a USB and that USB is no longer mounted) the app will continue to load but present the 'Boot Device' message as you see in your screenshot above. The message also informs you that a 'Rescan Boot Device' button is now available in the Boot Device section of the bootlog region at the top of the window. In the example of a bootable USB no longer being present, you could now connect the USB so it mounts then click the 'Rescan' button and the app will perform the same steps as before to detect your boot device.

Once your boot device has been detected then the message you see, and the rescan button, will disappear.

If the app is failing to find your boot device and you know it's definitely mounted then please enable the debug log as described in the post above to droples. Load the app, let it run and then while the app is still running, open /tmp and .zip the /tmp/CloverThemeManager directory and post it here so I can see what's happening. If would also be useful to include a 'Disk Partitions & Unique IDs' dump from DarwinDumper.

Thanks

Thanks blackosx!

I changed the option Debug=1.

0.76.1_ID13

OSX_10.7.5mbr+USB Flash Driver with ESP Partition - All is working,but you must be careful when performing MountESP of CTM.
OSX_10.7.5mbr+Usb Flash Driver (Fat32) - is working, but There are some issues about which I wrote earlier.

Thanks droples. I'll take a look.

Your bootlog shows:
SelfDevicePath=PcieRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\VenHw(CF31FAC5-C24E-11D2-85F3-00A0C93EC93B,80)\HD(1,MBR,0x2A482A48,0x2,0x4EFC1B80) @DC215018
Clover Theme Manager log shows:
        readFdisk=*1: AF 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [         2 - 1325144960] HFS+        
        Found block size match: 1325144960
        Found partition number match: 1
        Found start block match: 2
        Comparing signatures: 482a482a vs 482a482a
        Found signature match: 482a482a
        Found boot device. 
        Boot device part type=MBR | identifier=disk0s1

All is good.

You then click the Mount ESP button and cancel the password dialog twice. Then click the Mount ESP button a third time, enter your password and disk1s1 is successfully mounted.

but you must be careful when performing MountESP of CTM.

why?

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I have to go out now but I'll check your 10.7.5mbr+mrbUSBflashdrive report a bit later.

You then click the Mount ESP button and cancel the password dialog twice. Then click the Mount ESP button a third time, enter your password and disk1s1 is successfully mounted.

why?

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I have to go out now but I'll check your 10.7.5mbr+mrbUSBflashdrive report a bit later.

Excuse Me. I'm not exactly put it. Do not you have to be careful,
and the user is on the ..
CTM is on OSX10.7.5mbr,USB stic with ESP Partition. After select MountESP , Esp Partition 
Usb stic becomes of default.In this case, I do not. So I have to choose.
ESP.jpg
PS New OSX10.7.5mbr+usb(fat32)

@blackosx hi,

My Yosemite install Clover r3192.

That's fine. However, the issue at hand was you questioned the red 'Boot Device' message. Did you click the 'Rescan Boot Device' button and did the app then successfully detect your boot device? in which case the red 'Boot Device' message and 'Rescan Boot Device button will disappear.

Excuse Me. I'm not exactly put it. Do not you have to be careful,
and the user is on the ..
CTM is on OSX10.7.5mbr,USB stic with ESP Partition. After select MountESP , Esp Partition 
Usb stic becomes of default.In this case, I do not. So I have to choose.

ESP.jpg

Thanks for helping me understand your question :)

So yes. After clicking Mount ESP, the selected device is changed to the mounted ESP. That's by design because the way I see it is if the user wants to mount the ESP then the user wants to install/unInstall/update themes contained there. If you then wish to install/unInstall/update themes on a different volume/device then you will select that from the dropdown menu.

Thanks for the other report. I will look at both this and the other one from earlier when I get time later. 

But ..1075mbr there are some problems with the reskan and display theme entries in nvram and config.plist  if CTM run when connected USB Flash disk.

I’ve looked at your report and can see your query here is the control options for changing nvram/config.plist entries are not seen. This is currently how the app works and the control options are only shown when your boot device is available and selected in the app. As you cancelled the boot device scan option, no boot device was found.

My reasoning behind this is that the boot log identifies how the current theme is being loaded; so whether the desired theme is set in native nvram, nvram.plist file or config.plist file, or none of them. From here the app can determine the best way to make a newly selected theme actually be used on next boot.

For an example of what could be needed, it’s possible a user has a theme entry set in nvram and a different theme entry in config.plist. If the theme defined in nvram does not exist in /EFI/Clover/Themes/ of the boot device then the theme entry in config.plist will be next in line for loading and if that exists, that theme will be used. In this example, if the user wished to change the theme used at boot then they could do one of the following:
1 - add the missing theme to /EFI/Clover/Themes
2 - change the nvram entry to a theme that exists in /EFI/Clover/Themes
3 - change the config.plist theme entry

To present the user with all possible options, the boot device is needed to be mounted so the config.plist file is available for editing. This is why the control options are hidden.

I plan to make the app smarter in the future so that it only hides the control options if a theme entry actually exists in the unavailable file. Currently, the control options are hidden whenever the boot device is not selected regardless of whether or not a change can actually be made to a file on the boot device to affect the theme being chosen at boot.

Thanks for another report. 

At first I wasn't sure what to make of this report because the CloverThemeManagerLog.txt file does not match up to the screenshots in usb.jpeg. For example, the log shows you canceled the initial dialog but your screenshot shows you clicked it.

But I think you may have helped find a bug… Can you tell me if the volume name of the FAT32 USB stick, or any containing directory CloverThemeManager is in, contains space?

I have found that if the app is in a directory containing a space, the osascript commands fail!

EDIT: osascript does work to run shell script with spaces in a dir. I just need to figure out how to rework the commands I'm using.
EDIT2: Fixed!

At first I wasn't sure what to make of this report because the CloverThemeManagerLog.txt file does not match up to the screenshots in usb.jpeg. For example, the log shows you canceled the initial dialog but your screenshot shows you clicked it.

I did the test at the beginning. 
Entries CloverThemeManagementLog.txt must match to the Screenshot.
  • Like 1

I've fixed the issue of running osascript from inside the app when running from a path with spaces. I believe this to be the cause of the problems you've been seeing. Please can you test this version?

EDIT: Attachment removed

Ah. Okay. So I'm not understanding the problem.
Can I try to find out step by step?

The UI is showing you the 'Boot Device failed to be detected message'.

log file shows:
   FindMbrDevice()
        mbrDisks=1
        readFdisk=
        User cancelled password dialog
I see the fdisk result is empty..
And just to be sure, you're not cancelling the password dialog box?

Please can you try this test, debug enabled, version?
EDIT: Attachment removed

Load the app. When asked for password to mount the boot device please do so.
When you see the error, post the CloverThemeManagerLog.txt ?

Thanks

updateID 14 pushed.

- Fix issue where some actions would fail when running app from a path with spaces.
- Fix issue detecting MBR boot device (thanks droples).

@droples - The beta versions you've been testing with will not auto-update so either  run v0.76.1_updateID 13 to then detect the update or just grab the laster version from the opening post.

@luky35 - This update may fix the issue you had also.