[Guide] 10.10 Yosemite on the Dell Venue 11 Pro [Core iX]

alex.daoud

230 posts in this topic

@Alex

Once we have the touchscreen and accelerometer working, the only two things we have left to fix will be sleep and the trackpad on the keyboard extension. Then the device will be fully usable. In my opinion, it will be the most fully functional new generation tablet of the lot. Especially since we can actually replace our wifi card unlike on the Surface.

With regards to a cheap wifi solution, you could use a USB wifi dongle, you can find cheap ones that work with OS X on ebay. It's not ideal but its the best bet you have until we can source a working internal card for the device.

Alex thats a wonderful news id be glad to contribute any way I am able to. 

I just got the card and it is the right card

trying to post a link but having a hard time.

Really happy for you Wen1.. Do you think is there a way I can pay you to post me one of those cards? (Via Paypal)+(I know this is too much asking but not sure what the next best possible alternative would be) Because I seriously doubt if dell is going to ship one directly to Bosnia & Herzegovina

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Wireless-DW1707-VRC88-for-Inspiron-5545-5447-/111574439813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fa5ad785

Btw I think this is a different card for the same slot which is not intel branded.. I am not sure if it will be compatible.. what do you guys think? 

EDIT: http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/lenovo-yoga-3-pro-disassembly/

Well looks like good news for me.. I have the card i am looking for in my yoga 3 pro : )) 

Looks like I am just gonna swap the cards from yoga 3 pro and venue 11 pro :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Wireless-DW1707-VRC88-for-Inspiron-5545-5447-/111574439813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fa5ad785

Btw I think this is a different card for the same slot which is not intel branded.. I am not sure if it will be compatible.. what do you guys think? 

This is the card that came with my DVP11. It isn't compatible.

Cool thanks alex.. It appears I have the wifi card in my yoga 3 pro.. ill be just swapping it.. Btw Do you think its possible to modify the graphic drivers to have 4GB ram?  ive seen some drivers for HD4000 that did something similar.. it improves the graphic performance somewhat.. 

Cool thanks alex.. It appears I have the wifi card in my yoga 3 pro.. ill be just swapping it.. Btw Do you think its possible to modify the graphic drivers to have 4GB ram?  ive seen some drivers for HD4000 that did something similar.. it improves the graphic performance somewhat.. 

The maximum that this card can have is 1.7GB from what I can tell using Windows and peeking into hidden BIOS options. OS X drivers don't support more than 1.5GB for GT2 cards on the Azul Framebuffer from what I have seen.

The maximum that this card can have is 1.7GB from what I can tell using Windows and peeking into hidden BIOS options. OS X drivers don't support more than 1.5GB for GT2 cards on the Azul Framebuffer from what I have seen.

Oh thats a bummer.. I hope someone can eventually release a driver that could make use of the 8GB ram on the tablet :D

Btw are you dual booting on it? or just osx

Edit:

at least something like in below would be nice for the 4200..

Btw the 4200 performance is pretty much as the new HD 5300 in my Y3Pro, which is dissapointing >,< 

http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/file/4194-hd-4000-2048-mb-vram/

Edited by altleet

Well finally received mine.. after some trouble with stupid ass customs over here.. :D Anyways that said.. My model number is 7139.. and I just updated to the latest bios A14(it seemed to fix minor touchscreen issue I think).. It was at A11..

Hopefully today ill start installing OSX on to it.. 

Ill post back once I am done.. 

Update 1 : I'm having no luck with installing either via clover or chameleon. system reboots after loading kexts in chameleon and reboots before loading kexts on clover.. I wonder what am I doing wrong..

Update 2: seems like I haven't patched the kernel for haswell cpu.. the truth is I don't have access to a mac to do it.. Need to see how to deal with this

Excellent work!!  Is the touchscreen working?  Or did I miss that in the thread?  Has anyone made a vid of how OSX behaves on the DV11P?  Dell has power limited the CPU to 6W so I'm curious to see how well it runs before I muck around too much.  I don't think there are any turnkey software options to up the TDP or undervolt in OSX which is a shame because upping the TDP to 11W turns the DV11P into an entirely different machine in Windows. 

Well finally received mine.. after some trouble with stupid ass customs over here.. :D Anyways that said.. My model number is 7139.. and I just updated to the latest bios A14(it seemed to fix minor touchscreen issue I think).. It was at A11..

Hopefully today ill start installing OSX on to it.. 

Ill post back once I am done.. 

Update 1 : I'm having no luck with installing either via clover or chameleon. system reboots after loading kexts in chameleon and reboots before loading kexts on clover.. I wonder what am I doing wrong..

Update 2: seems like I haven't patched the kernel for haswell cpu.. the truth is I don't have access to a mac to do it.. Need to see how to deal with this

You should be able to find patched kernels for Haswell online on other forums (I think niresh's forum has a download link). Just download that then put it in the USB installer. (also try using a certain 'beast' software if youre not already. it is by far the simplest way to install in my opinion)

Excellent work!!  Is the touchscreen working?  Or did I miss that in the thread?  Has anyone made a vid of how OSX behaves on the DV11P?  Dell has power limited the CPU to 6W so I'm curious to see how well it runs before I muck around too much.  I don't think there are any turnkey software options to up the TDP or undervolt in OSX which is a shame because upping the TDP to 11W turns the DV11P into an entirely different machine in Windows. 

Touchscreen isn't working yet no but I have been writing drivers (very busy at the moment so no time to finish them!). You can find the thread in General Discussion here in the tablet section.

OS X performs better than Windows on the DVP11 as far as I'm concerned (worse battery life though, I haven't sorted that out yet really). Windows freezes randomly and has even shutdown with no warning on me, OS X hasn't caused me the least bit of worry. It is possible to overclock the DVP11 by accessing hidden BIOS settings (as outlined on tabletpcreview) as you are probably aware, I don't see any reason why that shouldn't work on OS X. Although I am not too familiar with overclocking so if there is Windows software involved, that might be a problem.

Speaking of tabletpcreview, I'm quite frustrated with the mods in the Dell forum. I tried to post a thread detailing our progress with OS X on the DVP11 to try and get more people to come and help us test and also to see if we can get it running on the Intel Atom versions (I've read somewhere that it might be possible to spoof the CPU ID on an atom to allow the PC to boot). They deleted the thread though because they don't like it when people talk about hackintoshes...

You should be able to find patched kernels for Haswell online on other forums (I think niresh's forum has a download link). Just download that then put it in the USB installer. (also try using a certain 'beast' software if youre not already. it is by far the simplest way to install in my opinion)

Touchscreen isn't working yet no but I have been writing drivers (very busy at the moment so no time to finish them!). You can find the thread in General Discussion here in the tablet section.

OS X performs better than Windows on the DVP11 as far as I'm concerned (worse battery life though, I haven't sorted that out yet really). Windows freezes randomly and has even shutdown with no warning on me, OS X hasn't caused me the least bit of worry. It is possible to overclock the DVP11 by accessing hidden BIOS settings (as outlined on tabletpcreview) as you are probably aware, I don't see any reason why that shouldn't work on OS X. Although I am not too familiar with overclocking so if there is Windows software involved, that might be a problem.

Speaking of tabletpcreview, I'm quite frustrated with the mods in the Dell forum. I tried to post a thread detailing our progress with OS X on the DVP11 to try and get more people to come and help us test and also to see if we can get it running on the Intel Atom versions (I've read somewhere that it might be possible to spoof the CPU ID on an atom to allow the PC to boot).

I know what you mean about Windows, I had all sorts of trouble until I modded the TDP.  The chip was designed for 11.5 watts, but Dell limited it in the bios to 6 watts.  The problem is that the CPU and GPU begin to fight over the limited power available pretty quickly.  I get why they did it, pretty much just to save the battery, but Windows doesn't handle the conflict very gracefully and it causes stutters, audio issues, etc, etc,.  Maybe OS X is a little better at it.  So far all I've done is remove the limit and then change the values from inside Windows using XTU, but after looking at the bios addressing a bit more, I think it may be possible to set a hard value for the TDP which will make it independent of OS.  I'm not doing any overclocking, just making more power available to the CPU/GPU which stops the power throttling until the chip gets to it's design specs.  And with a modest -50mV undervolt, there's virtually no thermal throttling unless you're playing a CPU/GPU intensive game.

Anyway, I don't always have a keyboard/mouse handy so I'm looking forward to a potentially working touchscreen when your workload lightens!  Writing drivers is waaaay over my head...Thanks again for your excellent work!

Hey guys.. Have you seen this? 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/3824/t/19576995

I just modded the bios strings provided on the page for this model.. it moves thermal throttling to 84C from 62C Degrees...

Long point being short.. Dota 2 was running at 15 to 23 fps before the mod. And after it was running from 35 to 45 fps.. Which is quite amazing... compared to my {censored} yoga 3 pro screen saver of an ultrabook runs it at 20 fps =/ or so

I quickly recorded a video to demonstrate the game play speed.. 

That's exactly what I was talking about!  Did you change your TDP setting?  Totally worth it.  I leave it on balanced so the energy usage stays low when it can, but having an extra 5 watts of headroom does wonders.  If you haven't, then just install XTU and start tinkering.  No need to do the bar edit mod either, I didn't and have full control.

That's exactly what I was talking about!  Did you change your TDP setting?  Totally worth it.  I leave it on balanced so the energy usage stays low when it can, but having an extra 5 watts of headroom does wonders.  If you haven't, then just install XTU and start tinkering.  No need to do the bar edit mod either, I didn't and have full control.

Yeah ive got the xtu running too.. with some undervolting.. and increased max TDP to 11W.. But even without that this bios  hack does everything for you.. Its on a bios level so the performance should be applied to osx too..

after the bios hack i got a benchmark of 271 on xtu benchmarking, I dont know if this is normal or better.. But game performance was twice as better.. which is pretty crazy :D

Although I plan on opening this tablet up and applying a thermal paste soon, hopefully in a week or so once it arrives. :) Because the temperatures during the game play went over to 75C 76C degrees.. And ill post some thermal paste results too once I get to apply it and game again on it for testing.

@ Alex Getting back to OSX today i just got frustrated after hours of rebooting and trying to get to install using clover /chameleon.. Btw I know what you mean by niresh or the beast method.. Already tried niresh I guess it rebooted because there was no kernel patch was present.. Ill try again either before I sleep in or probably tomorrow thanks for the tip.. i hope ill manage to find the patch.

As for the performance in windows.. I downloaded some firmware updates from Dell drivers section for the touchscreen, camera and the bios to the latest versions.. And everything runs pretty darn smooth.. Sound was a little cranky..but then I disabled the maxx base in the audio software, that got it fixed... However I still like the osx experience and would like to dual-boot this little beast of a tablet. that said.. ill post up once i get that thing installed finally, hopefully tomorrow (Fingers crossed). 

ok so with niresh (10.10.1) chameleon i am booting with boot flags /haswell -v -no-zf but the problem is after it loads up stuff from usb it keeps saying waiting for the root device.. assuming that this caused by GenericUSBXHCI.kext not present in the /Extra/Extensions.. and I want to put it there but transmac wont see the folders inside the Yosemite Zone USB.. it only see's the folder but the contents inside are not visible..I am not sure how to overcome this issue.. Any thoughts are welcome

Edit: here is the picture of the screen I am stuck at..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3at8bhnb7gc7zh/20150222_012302.jpg?dl=0

actually managed to access the usb via transmac and added the genericusbxhci.Kext in the /extra/extensions.. but the result seems to be the same

error after error =/ 

I wish there were much clear guidelines to some more specific method with clear sources or something.. 

Right now, after Installing niresh 10.10.1 using bootdisk utility clover usb, system wont boot up and its stuck at this screen. https://www.dropbox.com/s/okh9jwa9a6r2ol1/share.jpg?dl=0

unfortunately seems like a dead end for me.. Ive tried almost every possible method i was able to without having access to mac.

Waiting for root device was probably caused by the USB device you are using. I used a poor quality USB stick at first and it didn't work. After that I used a proper external hard drive and had no problems. Did you use the config.plist from the first post?

Waiting for root device was probably caused by the USB device you are using. I used a poor quality USB stick at first and it didn't work. After that I used a proper external hard drive and had no problems. Did you use the config.plist from the first post?

I got passed still waiting for the root device  issue.. have you seen the last screen shot i posted.. problem is a post installation boot stuck up.. Guess ill just wait out till I figure something out

I got passed still waiting for the root device  issue.. have you seen the last screen shot i posted.. problem is a post installation boot stuck up.. Guess ill just wait out till I figure something out

Yes I know, I meant for the second issue. Did you use the config.plist for Clover?

Are you sure you put GenericUSBXHCI.kext inside the kext injection folder? It should be in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/ on the Clover bootloader

If not, try disabling the USB 3.0 controller from the BIOS.

What you are getting is a USB error that I always get if I don't have GenericUSBXHCI working (or DSDT edits for AppleUSBXHCI)

• 2 weeks later...

Wen1, are you still running 10.10? Or have you updated it to the latest OS X release? Because I am having some issues with the internal display not working on 10.10.1 and 10.10.2.. Well if you have updated to the latest OS X version, then do you mind posting your config.plist and dsdt (if you have patched anything that is) also what version of bios are you running? I have it updated to A14.