[Guide] 10.10 Yosemite on the Dell Venue 11 Pro [Core iX]

alex.daoud

230 posts in this topic

I think youre using the latest version of IORegExplorer which corrupts the save files. Search for "[Guide] How to make a copy of IOReg" on the other site and try that one.

Your kext didn't work for me so I'm back to square one really. I'll keep trying but I might just have to reinstall.

I've been using ACPIBatteryStatus and it works quite well, not sure how it is in comparison to that one. I have been meaning to post an update on the things I've got working but I wanted to sort out QE first.

Do you mind providing your AppleIntelHD5000Graphics, I just want to check and see if mine is not corrupt as I don't have a backup.

Actually nevermind mate, I just got it to work. Seems to be an issue with the kextcache, I had to force load the FakePCIID_HD4600_H4400.kext in single user mode before it would work.

So I can get HDMI and Internal display working at the same time but the HDMI is very garbled. I think the custom EDID is affecting it actually (I had to remove the EDID in order to get it to boot with 0x0a260006).

By the way, with regards to the wifi card. I have spoken to someone in Germany who used to supply that Broadcom card and he said they are completely out of stock now. Very rare to find in China and only 100 were made as engineering samples (hence why they're so expensive). He doesn't know when he or anyone else will get new stock. He also mentioned to be careful if you want to buy it from aliexpress (it lists it as in stock for a whopping $110) as he thinks they are falsely advertising it as being available.

I have updated the OP with the recent advancements.

I purchased the add-on keyboard with battery and the keyboard (and battery as far as I can tell) work fine. The trackpad, however, doesn't (it works fine in Clover). It is listed as an HIDPointing device in IOReg so the system is picking it up, it simply doesn't want to work. I suspect there is an issue with the drivers as when I'm shutting down or rebooting, I get "restart waiting on GenericUSBXHCI" and it takes a while to shutdown, if I unplug the keyboard unit I get "timeout on mouse" and the reboot occurs a lot faster.

With regards to the touchscreen drivers, the i2c bus drivers are pretty much fully implemented. I've run into an issue, however, where I am completely unable to communicate with the i2c devices sitting on the bus. The i2c bus doesn't want to generate an interrupt to allow me to start the transaction so I think I might be feeding it the wrong commands. The following are the major things we still need to get working:

• Touchscreen
  • Sleep/wake (on my system, it sleeps but then either instant reboots on wake or gives me a black screen)
  • Wifi/bluetooth (we will probably need to wait for that Broadcom card to come back in stock, it will work 100% with FakePCIID and the broadcom injector patch)
  • Proper HDMI output

Other things that would be nice to get working:

• NFC, I haven't been able to find a Linux driver for our chip so not sure if we will ever get this to work
  • Proper powerbutton support (get the dialog to pop up when you press the powerbutton)
  • proper brightness control (Rehabman has given us some interesting info on the HD4600 thread on the other site)
  • accelerometer support (we have full rotation support in the display preferences, the accelerometer is on the i2c bus, however, so we need to sort out touchscreen first)
  • SD card reader (don't think this will ever work, we've never really had good support for the SDHC controller on osx86)
  • WWAN card (I don't have one of these in my device. http://www.osxlatitude.com/wwan-modules-a-quick-guide/ suggests that it might enumerate on USB which is promising)

Great info alex.

I actually have a type keyboard (without battery) and see the same behavior with the trackpad. Keyboard works but the trackpad does not.

Cancelled my ordered for the wifi card since it seems hopeless to get the AR9565 working.

For sleep, I see the same black screen behavior with internal display

But with 0x0a260006 and HDMI I actually see the screen come back, but the USB does not work. So I cant control the mouse or keyboard.

Touchscreen would be awesome if you can get that working.

I have a WWAN card. Huawei MU736. I could not get it working. I will check out that link.

SDCard used to work on a surface pro (ivy bridge) with Yosemite. Not sure what used there. I will try to find it.

Great info alex.

I actually have a type keyboard (without battery) and see the same behavior with the trackpad. Keyboard works but the trackpad does not.

Cancelled my ordered for the wifi card since it seems hopeless to get the AR9565 working.

For sleep, I see the same black screen behavior with internal display

But with 0x0a260006 and HDMI I actually see the screen come back, but the USB does not work. So I cant control the mouse or keyboard.

Touchscreen would be awesome if you can get that working.

I have a WWAN card. Huawei MU736. I could not get it working. I will check out that link.

SDCard used to work on a surface pro (ivy bridge) with Yosemite. Not sure what used there. I will try to find it.

Can you supply your IOReg with version 2.1 of IORegExplorer please? I want to see what it says about your type keyboard.

Lets see if this ioreg works. I extracted it using the version you posted the link to earlier. 

IORegistryExplorer 3.0.2 (14)

Unfortunately that one is again corrupted mate. IORegistryExplorer 3.0.2 doesn't work, you'll need 2.1. I'm not sure which link I posted so it might have been wrong. I've attached the working one to this post.

By pure luck I was checking on Ebay and managed to find someone selling the BCM94352Z. They only had one left though unfortunately. Keep checking http://www.ebay.com/usr/onant to see if he will get more in stock.

IORegistryExplorer-SLRID_v10.6.3 (1).zip

Sorry missed the last message. I will upload the ioreg this afternoon.

Dell started using the BCM94352Z NGFF in the new Dell XPS 13. Dell's model number is DW1560

you can see the card here http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/dell-xps-13-9343-disassembly/

I wonder if one can order this part via Dell's parts channel.

That's good to know, hopefully they won't ask for serial numbers or anything like that to confirm you own an XPS.

So the BCM94352Z arrived and it worked out of the box. I still applied the FakePCIID injector to mask it as a more compatible device (enables things like continuity and handoff). Bluetooth required me to install BTFirmwareUploader.kext and it works fine after that.

Small update on the touchscreen.

With the help of the good guys over at linux-i2c, I've gotten past an issue that has been plaguing me for the past 2 months. Transactions on the I2C bus now work and I'm finally able to communicate with the touchscreen. Hopefully I'll have something good to share soon.

Small update on the touchscreen.

With the help of the good guys over at linux-i2c, I've gotten past an issue that has been plaguing me for the past 2 months. Transactions on the I2C bus now work and I'm finally able to communicate with the touchscreen. Hopefully I'll have something good to share soon.

Hi Alex

will this also work for the Surface 3, when finished or is this a complete different driver ?

Thanks

Gkarg

Hey guys just wanted to let you know that I am on the same boat with you..  Ive recently ordered a core i5 4300Y version of the tablet for hackintoshing and testing.. It should be a week or so before it arrives.. Btw Alex.. That card is way too expensive.. are there cheaper other alternatives available? 

Hey guys just wanted to let you know that I am on the same boat with you..  Ive recently ordered a core i5 4300Y version of the tablet for hackintoshing and testing.. It should be a week or so before it arrives.. Btw Alex.. That card is way too expensive.. are there cheaper other alternatives available? 

Unfortunately that's the only one we know of that can be bought. Wen1 has ordered a card that he thinks might be the same one from Dell Parts Supply for about $30 so we shall see if its the right one.

• Like 1

Yeah too bad I don't live in the states.. So I doubt if dell would be shipping me one for $30(if its the right one that is).. That guys ebay title states hackintosh.. So i am pretty sure he is aware that people might pay plenty to buy it =/ 

The card is very rare in China so that's how much it costs to get it from there, he's only making a small markup of his own. I got the card straight from a Chinese supplier for $80, he isn't making much money off of it.

Seems like Ill be waiting for a while till i stumble upon to a cheaper option.. I've seen some interesting videos with a SP2 and Mac.  But Sp2 is relatively much more expensive than Venue 11 pro so I went on with Dell. as for the drivers and testing you can count me in for testing.

I have fairly decent experience with setting up hackintosh on about 3 different laptop models over the years.. Dell 1525, Asus m50VN and lately Clevo P170EM(Gaming laptop)... I tried installing on my Yoga 3 pro but it wouldn't load clover, and the closest ive gotten was the apple logo with Chimera.. So I gave up (For now)  >.<! Besides there is nothing on internet about Yoga 3 pro hackintosh yet except for a German forum with nothing informative. 

I have high hopes for Venue 11 pro.. Hopefully ill manage to turn it in to a desired hackintosh tablet ( probably after playing with it for about a few months of driver testing :P

Seems like Ill be waiting for a while till i stumble upon to a cheaper option.. I've seen some interesting videos with a SP2 and Mac.  But Sp2 is relatively much more expensive than Venue 11 pro so I went on with Dell. as for the drivers and testing you can count me in for testing.

I have fairly decent experience with setting up hackintosh on about 3 different laptop models over the years.. Dell 1525, Asus m50VN and lately Clevo P170EM(Gaming laptop)... I tried installing on my Yoga 3 pro but it wouldn't load clover, and the closest ive gotten was the apple logo with Chimera.. So I gave up (For now)  >.<! Besides there is nothing on internet about Yoga 3 pro hackintosh yet except for a German forum with nothing informative. 

I have high hopes for Venue 11 pro.. Hopefully ill manage to turn it in to a desired hackintosh tablet ( probably after playing with it for about a few months of driver testing :P

Once we have the touchscreen and accelerometer working, the only two things we have left to fix will be sleep and the trackpad on the keyboard extension. Then the device will be fully usable. In my opinion, it will be the most fully functional new generation tablet of the lot. Especially since we can actually replace our wifi card unlike on the Surface.

With regards to a cheap wifi solution, you could use a USB wifi dongle, you can find cheap ones that work with OS X on ebay. It's not ideal but its the best bet you have until we can source a working internal card for the device.

• Like 1