PowerColor AX7850 2GBD5-DHEV2, anyone has this card?

Wils

22 posts in this topic

Anyone able to get this card working on 10.9.3 or 10.10?

I have AMD system. 

MSI 890FXA-GD65 1090T CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130565

PowerColor AX7850 2GBD5-DHEV2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131562

I created an installation USB using myHack with an AMD kernel. When it boot to the point which right before the installation screen show up, I saw a white flash then the system freeze.

If I remove AMD7000Controller.kext from installation USB, I am able to get to install screen without graphics acceleration. 

boot with -x also freeze. Tried different combination of npci, GraphicsEnabler and PciRoot did not help.

• 2 weeks later...

I have xfx 7850, work under 10.9.4 and 10.10

I don't know how much amd cpu patched kernel effect to system, my is intell cpu so it got native support on cpu side

Boot with clover, AtiConfig=Futomaki VideoPort=2

Or you can try AtiConfig=Pitcairn VideoPorts=2

I thin the second work for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I have xfx 7850, work under 10.9.4 and 10.10

I don't know how much amd cpu patched kernel effect to system, my is intell cpu so it got native support on cpu side

Boot with clover, AtiConfig=Futomaki VideoPort=2

Or you can try AtiConfig=Pitcairn VideoPorts=2

I thin the second work for you.

Didn't work with those flags. same problem. I could only get my system to work up to 10.8.5.

You have not modify any of graphics kexts?

I did not modified any kext. I did a fresh install of 10.9.5 today with Clover. I had to removed AMD7000Controller.kext to boot to installer. Finished installation, the system worked fine without graphics acceleration. As soon as I put the kext back in, my system keeps restarting itself every time it is about to show the login screen.

You do not need a Framebuffer with this card. 

The only thing you do need is a SSDT that changes the Device ID of the GPU to a supported Device ID. 

After that is done the GPU will work properly. 

That is what I thought, but it is not working on 10.9. only 10.8 for my AMD system.

IOReg looks good but try my version of the DSDT:

attachicon.gifDSDT.aml.zip

no luck with your DSDT, but thanks.

Have you test this amd build w/o radeon 7850? Was it able to boot at all? What version of osx?

Yes, if I removed AMD7000Controller.kext, system boots. that is how I installed 10.9.

Everything works fine with 10.8