Z77X-UD5H, Yosemite, and Sleep/Wake with Logitech Camera

CoBrA2168

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys.

I've got a pretty good hack setup with Clover running OSX Yosemite 10.10 final.  Everything seems to be working great including speedstep, WiFi, Bluetooth, TRIM support, etc.  Just like Mavericks.  The specs of my machine are in my signature.

However, there is one issue I can't seem to tackle that I was hoping someone could help me with.  It involves sleep/wake and USB devices.  Let me describe the issue.

I can force sleep or auto sleep my computer with no issues.  The monitors shut off, fans shut down, USB devices power down.  Computer sleeps fine (however, I have the RTC alarm wake issue, but that's unrelated...).

The problem is with waking and USB.  Particularly with my USB Logitech camera, the C615.  No matter what I do, I can no longer use Sleep/wake correctly with this camera plugged in.  I've played with a setting in the BIOS which seems to affect the outcome, but either way it does not work correctly.  The setting I'm changing is "CPU PLL Voltage Override" in the advanced frequency settings of the CPU in the BIOS.

By default this is set to "Auto."  When set to auto I notice this when I sleep/wake.

1. Sleep time is about 20-30 seconds, no issues there.

2. With the USB camera plugged in during the sleep, when I wake my computer will immediately reboot before my monitors even have a chance to wake.  Upon reentering OSX, I receive the notice that "your computer restarted due to a crash" message from Apple.  If I look at the log, it looks like a USB kext is the fault...

3. With the USB camera not plugged in at all, my computer can wake fine.  The monitors do not automatically come awake though, I need to press a key on the keyboard or button on the mouse to further wake the displays.  When returning to OSX after this wake, my mouse is jumpy for a few minutes (no big deal) and I can continue using USB devices as normal (plugging in new ones causes no issues).

When I set this to "Disabled" (as recommended by some users of this board), I notice very different behavior with sleep/wake.

1. Sleep time is also 20-30 seconds, no issues with the sleep process.

2. With the USB camera plugged in during sleep, I can now wake my computer without a restart crash.  However, when attempting to actually use the camera after wake, any apps that use the camera report that there is no camera plugged in.  It does seem that the microphone works though even after wake.

3. However after a wake with this setting disabled, any USB devices that I plug in after the wake will cause my computer to instantly KP.  Even a USB thumb drive.

4. When I wake with this setting disabled, I see no mouse jumps and my monitors "automatically" wake without having to press an extra key or mouse click.  Very odd and confusing...

For now I have the setting set to Auto since this provides me with a more stable solution for now.  I simply do not use the camera anymore.  However, this was never an issue with Mavericks 10.9.5 + Clover, only now with Yosemite.  Back when I had Mavericks installed, I had the CPU PLL Voltage set to Auto and never had any USB problems.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?  I'm using a clean extracted DSDT with pjalm's patches for my board (Z77X-UD5H) and graphics.  I'm very familiar with DSDTs and how to edit them (I have a very custom one for a laptop hack that runs Mountain Lion) so I'm guessing this might have to do with the USB section in the DSDT and power management.

I also found this thread recently: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302236-yosemite-fails-to-wake-from-sleep/  Wonder if that's my problem?

I'd appreciate any help!

Install F14 BIOS and set CSM to never in BIOS

Should fix it.

You are right, it did.

I wished I knew if there was an alternative though.  Because I cannot boot into Windows 7 unless I use CSM, and that is pretty important for me.

Does anyone have an alternative to turning off CSM in the BIOS for fixing USB kernel panics with this board?

You are right, it did.

I wished I knew if there was an alternative though.  Because I cannot boot into Windows 7 unless I use CSM, and that is pretty important for me.

Does anyone have an alternative to turning off CSM in the BIOS for fixing USB kernel panics with this board?

I have a Windows 7 legacy installation and this also won't boot anymore after disabling CSM. Do you have a UEFI Windows 7 installation? 

I have a Windows 7 legacy installation and this also won't boot anymore after disabling CSM. Do you have a UEFI Windows 7 installation? 

It is a UEFI installation of Windows 7.  Unfortunately, I don't think Windows 7 can be accessed without the CSM enabled for video support.  I've done a lot of research (as much as I can) about this issue, but there is not a lot of information out there.

Here are some of the things I've found that proves Windows 7 cannot be booted into without CSM installed:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Unable-to-Install-Windows-7-without-CSM-support-enabled-in-BIOS/ta-p/1038089

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/316645-how-use-uefi-boot-install-windows-7-a-2.html

However, there are some people that claim Windows 7 can be accessed with CSM off.  See these posts:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/316645-how-use-uefi-boot-install-windows-7-a-4.html#post2654306

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=696523&page=3

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2011/05/31/installing-windows-7-on-uefi-based-computer.aspx (comments have lots of info)

I think it depends on the motherboard, and some other BIOS settings.  But I'm concluding that Windows 7 cannot be loaded without CSM enabled.  I refuse to update to Windows 8 just for this compatibility.