R9 290X graphics card, Yosemite and Dual Screen?

gateway69

15 posts in this topic

So I finally have my hackintosh all sorted everything is running fine including iMessage (which I had to call in and get unlocked by apple). 

The only issue I have is that I cannot for the life of my get my R9 290x card to work with dual monitors on the Yosemite release.  I have seen a few threads stating that people have the 290 version working but i'm not sure it was on the GM version since things changed it a bit.

Right now im running cover with minimal patches (audio, network, smsbios setting for imessage) 

What happens the moment I plug in my other monitor via the dvi port both screens go black.

Anyone with R9 290x, Yosemite Final and Clover have this working if so please explain what you did.

The only difference between getting a 290X going and a 290 is that you don't need to modify anything for the 290X.

From my personal experience (as a 290 owner injecting the 290X ID via Clover so that OS X thinks I have a 290X) the only reliable way to do multi monitor with these cards at this time is to enable Intel onboard graphics in the BIOS. You don't need a monitor plugged in to the onboard although you are unlikely to see anything until the OS X desktop is drawn if you don't have a monitor using onboard. I have successfully had three monitors running off my 290 (2x23" on DVI, 1x30" on DP) with the Intel onboard enabled although I've moved one of the 23" to the onboard DVI so I can see BIOS and Clover info during boot.

If you have the card fully working (opengl games, smooth video, desktop etc) with no modifications and one monitor then it will be using the Hawaii framebuffer since that is the only one which contains the device ID for the 290X when no user modifications have been made.

• Like 1

The only difference between getting a 290X going and a 290 is that you don't need to modify anything for the 290X.

From my personal experience (as a 290 owner injecting the 290X ID via Clover so that OS X thinks I have a 290X) the only reliable way to do multi monitor with these cards at this time is to enable Intel onboard graphics in the BIOS. You don't need a monitor plugged in to the onboard although you are unlikely to see anything until the OS X desktop is drawn if you don't have a monitor using onboard. I have successfully had three monitors running off my 290 (2x23" on DVI, 1x30" on DP) with the Intel onboard enabled although I've moved one of the 23" to the onboard DVI so I can see BIOS and Clover info during boot.

If you have the card fully working (opengl games, smooth video, desktop etc) with no modifications and one monitor then it will be using the Hawaii framebuffer since that is the only one which contains the device ID for the 290X when no user modifications have been made.

Maybe it explain why I try with 7950 and 7870, both work for me, on 7950 the luxmark result is top score, the 7870 luxmark score few point below the working frame buffer one.

Kvonlinee,

Thanks for the reply, my situation is I do not have integrated graphics on my mother board, its a older board gigabyte ex58-ud5 which runs my core i7 cpu and 290x.

Also can you maybe explain what you did to get the card working, I believe what your saying is you found the board id and put it into clover , whats the id, and what part of clover.

Also any ideas if I could get dual boot working w/o the onboard graphics card since my mb doesnt have this.. thanks again for your reply I would love to try to solve this.

Kvonlinee,

Thanks for the reply, my situation is I do not have integrated graphics on my mother board, its a older board gigabyte ex58-ud5 which runs my core i7 cpu and 290x.

Also can you maybe explain what you did to get the card working, I believe what your saying is you found the board id and put it into clover , whats the id, and what part of clover.

Also any ideas if I could get dual boot working w/o the onboard graphics card since my mb doesnt have this.. thanks again for your reply I would love to try to solve this.

For the 7950, I inject frame buffer to it, Tahiti, loadVBios, inject ATi in clover it show 2 monitor connected. No glinch, no aritifact, no onboard graphics. Youtube, vlc is play great it is not reconign by 7950.

For the 7870, i do similar to it, just different is FBname is Pitcairn

So i think just name of the graphics processor, that is what I tell you to try for your card.

Nameless, if you have time I would love to know how you got the 290/X working and what I can try in Clover.

At this time, without a CPU/motherboard combo that provides onboard graphics, there is nothing that you can do to get multiple monitors working as far as I know. I tried the things done by others like using other framebuffers such as Baladi and patching them but nothing worked for me.

I have:

<key>FakeID</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <string>0x67B01002</string>
        </dict>

in Clover Devices section, but this is no use to you as your card is a real 290X.

I have:

<key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>FBName</key>
        <string>Hawaii</string>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
        <key>InjectEDID</key>
        <true/>
        <key>PatchVBios</key>
        <false/>
        <key>VRAM</key>
        <integer>4096</integer>
    </dict>

but none of that has any effect for dual monitor purposes, if I disable onboard graphics in the BIOS I have the same problem as you, one monitor only working and plugging in others makes the first one go black. If your card is working properly with one monitor without parts of the above Graphics section then you don't need the bits you are missing.

I think that either the Intel kexts are setting something that the AMD ones should but aren't or one of the generic kexts is doing something when it sees the Intel hardware that it should do for the AMD hardware but doesn't. It is the enabling of the HD4600 GPU built into my Intel CPU that allows me to run my three monitors, even when none of them are plugged in to the HD4600.

At this time, without a CPU/motherboard combo that provides onboard graphics, there is nothing that you can do to get multiple monitors working as far as I know. I tried the things done by others like using other framebuffers such as Baladi and patching them but nothing worked for me.

I have:

<key>FakeID</key>

<dict>

<key>ATI</key>

<string>0x67B01002</string>

</dict>

in Clover Devices section, but this is no use to you as your card is a real 290X.

I have:

<key>Graphics</key>

<dict>

<key>FBName</key>

<string>Hawaii</string>

<key>Inject</key>

<dict>

<key>ATI</key>

<true/>

</dict>

<key>InjectEDID</key>

<true/>

<key>PatchVBios</key>

<false/>

<key>VRAM</key>

<integer>4096</integer>

</dict>

but none of that has any effect for dual monitor purposes, if I disable onboard graphics in the BIOS I have the same problem as you, one monitor only working and plugging in others makes the first one go black. If your card is working properly with one monitor without parts of the above Graphics section then you don't need the bits you are missing.

I think that either the Intel kexts are setting something that the AMD ones should but aren't or one of the generic kexts is doing something when it sees the Intel hardware that it should do for the AMD hardware but doesn't. It is the enabling of the HD4600 GPU built into my Intel CPU that allows me to run my three monitors, even when none of them are plugged in to the HD4600.

Thank you very much for taking out the time to explain this.. now im a bit frustrated.  I have a old GTX 760 that im using for now but the 290X is much more powerful.  I hope someone figures out a solution..  I wonder if I just leave inject intel instead of ati it might kick in something..

I guess I could also buy some cheap-o card maybe hmmm.. 

• 2 months later...

Thank you very much for taking out the time to explain this.. now im a bit frustrated.  I have a old GTX 760 that im using for now but the 290X is much more powerful.  I hope someone figures out a solution..  I wonder if I just leave inject intel instead of ati it might kick in something..

I guess I could also buy some cheap-o card maybe hmmm.. 

Hi. I had same problem. I solved it patching my frameboofer in config.plist (Im using clover). Just search, that is not complicated.

• 1 month later...

To get 290x with dual monitors / multi monitors (works with 3 for me) boot with one monitor, put computer to sleep, then plug in 2nd monitor (or 2nd and 3rd), then wake the computer, profit. 

I have a 290x on Yosemite using Clover with an x79 board. I found this out after hours of troubleshooting. The only thing I changed in the config.plist was to use Hawaii framebuffer, and if you have a problem with dual monitors then you probably don't have to worry about this since I have the same problem as everyone else. Tonight I will experiment with a script to put the computer to sleep at bootup to see if having 3 monitors connected will work after sleep and wake, or if OS X has to boot with only one monitor. This answer will come soon since I am on my way home now. The script was from the old 7970 days when a sleep trick was the fix for that. I will post the source for this and instructions on my next post.

So I finally have my hackintosh all sorted everything is running fine including iMessage (which I had to call in and get unlocked by apple). 

The only issue I have is that I cannot for the life of my get my R9 290x card to work with dual monitors on the Yosemite release.  I have seen a few threads stating that people have the 290 version working but i'm not sure it was on the GM version since things changed it a bit.

Right now im running cover with minimal patches (audio, network, smsbios setting for imessage) 

What happens the moment I plug in my other monitor via the dvi port both screens go black.

Anyone with R9 290x, Yosemite Final and Clover have this working if so please explain what you did.

maybe try one of my configurations:

I have 2 computers each with 2 r 290x and one with 2 monitors and one with 4: 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304386-yosemite-10102-r9-290x-2/