Yosemite GTX 9xx/750/750 ti Compatibility Report

jamiethemorris

146 posts in this topic

@bbeepp I would be inclined to agree except that people are getting 100 fps scores on old Mac pros, which obviously have older hardware - slower CPU, less pcie bandwidth, etc.

@illfatedIM you are the first person I have heard of that has HDMI/dp audio working. Can you post an ioreg dump of before and after the cable is unplugged?

No sound after a reboot:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7k3hmgz395bia3/After_reboot_with_plugged_in_TV_%28no_sound%29.ioreg?dl=0

With Sound after replugging the cable: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdgjvtpx5cj8wen/After_replugging_the_cable_%28with_sound%29.ioreg?dl=0

Heres my clover config: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3xkokt2attjapx/config.plist?dl=0

Also SPDIF on my Creative doesnt work with this setup, but that might be offtopic.

edit: also I wouldn't put too much thought in the cinebench gpu benchmarks as they're terrible even on windows. It only uses 20% load on my 970 and therefore gets a way lower score than my old 5870.

Edited by illfatedIM

No sound after a reboot:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7k3hmgz395bia3/After_reboot_with_plugged_in_TV_%28no_sound%29.ioreg?dl=0

With Sound after replugging the cable: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdgjvtpx5cj8wen/After_replugging_the_cable_%28with_sound%29.ioreg?dl=0

Heres my clover config: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3xkokt2attjapx/config.plist?dl=0

Also SPDIF on my Creative doesnt work with this setup, but that might be offtopic.

edit: also I wouldn't put too much thought in the cinebench gpu benchmarks as they're terrible even on windows. It only uses 20% load on my 970 and therefore gets a way lower score than my old 5870.

The IORegs you posted are corrupted. Usually happens with newer versions of IOReg which for some reason are broken. You can either use the older version 2.0 of IORegistry Explorer or use IOJones.

The IORegs you posted are corrupted. Usually happens with newer versions of IOReg which for some reason are broken. You can either use the older version 2.0 of IORegistry Explorer or use IOJones.

Awkward, I tested them before uploading.

I made new ones with IOJones:

No Sound: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol8favw54sgjha9/Before_replugging_noSound.iojones?dl=0

Sound: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6domeg4jfdfo5p/After_replugging_Sound.iojones?dl=0

Interesting. You've got HDMI audio with VoodooHDA. I've never been able to get that to work. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I have a feeling getting audio working properly with DSDT edits and AppleHDA would resolve it. I'm not sure what the correct edits are for the new cards, I remember trying to get displayport audio working a little bit and not having any luck. You could try going back to AppleHDA and using the "Generic Discrete Graphics" patch in the PJALM General MaciASL repo.

@bbeepp I forgot about that, I haven't tried it yet.

@toleda I saw that guide, for some reason I thought it was only for integrated graphics.

Am I correct in assuming that this should enable both HDMI and displayport audio?

@bbeepp I forgot about that, I haven't tried it yet.

@toleda I saw that guide, for some reason I thought it was only for integrated graphics.

Am I correct in assuming that this should enable both HDMI and displayport audio?

could u post the clover config.plist u used when u had voodoohda installed ?

could u post the clover config.plist u used when u had voodoohda installed ?

I wasn't using VoodooHDA on this computer. I use it on my Vivobook for ALC269. I never cared about HDMI audio on that computer, but it does show up in System Prefs. Just doesn't output any sound. I also used VoodooHDA on my XPS 720 for awhile, before I started using HDMI audio, but HDMI audio also wouldn't output any sound with VoodooHDA on that computer. It's a media center so I actually needed HDMI audio, which I was able to get with AMD connectors patching and DSDT edits. I suppose I can post the config.plist for my vivobook later, but it probably won't be of much use to you.

I wasn't using VoodooHDA on this computer. I use it on my Vivobook for ALC269. I never cared about HDMI audio on that computer, but it does show up in System Prefs. Just doesn't output any sound. I also used VoodooHDA on my XPS 720 for awhile, before I started using HDMI audio, but HDMI audio also wouldn't output any sound with VoodooHDA on that computer. It's a media center so I actually needed HDMI audio, which I was able to get with AMD connectors patching and DSDT edits. I suppose I can post the config.plist for my vivobook later, but it probably won't be of much use to you.

Oh no need to go through that trouble, I just figured out how to get hdmi audio without replugging the cable. I simply had to enable ResetHDA in Clover configurator. Thank you though

Oh no need to go through that trouble, I just figured out how to get hdmi audio without replugging the cable. I simply had to enable ResetHDA in Clover configurator. Thank you though

nice. Who would have thought it would be so simple. I should actually try that on my vivobook since I lose audio after sleep.

it should, you just need a DVI to HDMI adapter or cable and the correct DSDT edits.

The purpose of DSDT editing is to get audio from Nvidia HDMI audio (HDAU) or internal audio from the MB such as ALC88x (HDEF)?

Edited on 2014-12-05:

I have got Nvidia GTX 550Ti's HDMI audio working via a DVI-->HDMI cable now.

The DSDT had followed Toleda's guide for HDMI audio in Yosemite.

Edited by jsl

The purpose of DSDT editing is to get audio from Nvidia HDMI audio (HDAU) or internal audio from the MB such as ALC88x (HDEF)?

Both internal audio and HDMI output typically require edits, but they are 2 different patches.

I'd like to report my findings with this kind of boards. I am testing on Mac OS X 10.10.1 with the latest Webdrivers from NVidia for this version of OS X.

First I tried the Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini ITX -   GV-N970IXOC-4GD

Very unstable

Only some ports work, sometimes and it depends on the combination of screens connected. HDMI port did not work almost never, and never on 4k. Even with a DP to HDMI adaptor I was not able to see anything in 4k.

Then I changed for the Asus GTX 970 STRIX  -  STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4G

With only the HDMI cable connected to my Ultra HDTV and it booted right into it. I had some odd resolutions going on 7k (!!) but it worked and once i chose the right resolution on switchresX all the HiDPI modes showed up correctly.

3840x2160@60Hz over HDMI 2.0 is a total success with this board.

I can also confirm that the same resolution and frequency work with a DVI to HDMI converter on both DVI ports.

Yes. All Nvidia 4xx and newer support audio on all connectors, including DVI.

Does AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5xxx/6xxx/7xxx also support audio on all connectors including DVI ?

Because I can use DVI-->HDMI cable to get HDMI audio on Nvidia 550Ti & 680, not working on AMD/ATI 6870 or 5770.

Does AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5xxx/6xxx/7xxx also support audio on all connectors including DVI ?

Because I can use DVI-->HDMI cable to get HDMI audio on Nvidia 550Ti & 680, not working on AMD/ATI 6870 or 5770.

I'm not sure. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it does but that was a long time ago and I never tried it. Do you have the dsdt edit necessary for HDMI audio? If I can find an adapter I'll try it on my 6670.

OS X/AMD HDMI audio: DVI no, DP and HDMI yes.

Thanks because that was what I have found by experiment with a DVI-->HDMI cable in both AMD and Nvidia cards.

Both Mac OS X and Windows 7/8/8.1 are the same.

Well, I'm glad I have another graphics card. I just updated Yosemite and booted with nv_disable=1 to install the new drivers. Unfortunately it appears I can't get past the login screen when I use nv_disable, I just get constant bbod.