Yosemite on VmWare Unusable

JasF

34 posts in this topic

Any update on how to disable (manual or otherwise) Beam Sync on OS X 10.11 El Capitan?

I searched around the web but still don't see a resolution.

09/15/15 version of "Graphics Tools for Xcode 7" is still missing the ability to disable Beam Sync.

Not sure how you can say El Capitan is unusable it runs lightning fast on my vmware workstation just installed the latest version of darwin tools 8.0.1.
Folders open fast, safari opens fast, only thing that dont work is launchpad, and the folders next to trash can in other words anything that uses 3D effects.

What is it that isn't working or going bad?

I only just installed El Capitan yesterday but LaunchPad was the first place I noticed the issue. Maybe the answer is just avoiding LaunchPad altogether...

I am coming from virtualized Mountain Lion which definitely felt overall faster. Only need a newer OS X version to work with X code as I am exploring some iOS development.

Any way, I am going to build a Yosemite image today as it sounds like this is running overall better once BeamSync is disabled. I'll report back how it compares to the latest release.

6gb memory allocated to OS X image.

Good to know about Yosemite. I was under the impression disabling BeamSync in Yosemite alleviated the performance problems. If this is not the case I won't waste time building a new image now. As for Mavericks, I am unsure of X Code versions supported under it.

Sounds like the answer is to just avoid Launcher and stick with virtualized el capitan... I do have a mid 2010 Macbook Pro around, but it is my wife's personal PC and I doubt she'd be thrilled with me taking it over. I hate to have to purchase another Mac so hopefully performance under X Code is acceptable for my limited use case.

disabling beamsync improves performance dont get me wrong but its not a miracle cure sadly enough it still sucks with launchpad and other things.
As long as we cant get 3D performance in VM workstation anything that uses or needs 3D support will lag and suck.

Just make sure you are using el capitan and the latest darwin tools and that will help a lot.

If you try yosemite and then el capitan you will see a drastic performance difference in favor of el capitan even with beamoff activated on yosemite.

• 8 months later...

I'm running vmware 12 workstation player and have found el capitan's performance to be abysmal even after having installed the vmware tools.  I've also tried to install the clover bootloader to see what kind of performance gains I can get.  I'm now in sierra which is giving me very similar loads, which I suppose speaks well for sierra compared to the previous versions, but I'm still not super impressed.  I'm on an Intel Core i5 3427u with 12GB ram, of which 6GB is allocated to the vm.  I'm mainly trying to run vmware to study/practice xcode and the cocoa framework, but it's just awful.  Funny enough, the vmware image of Yosemite with beamoff running on a Dell Venue 11 Pro with 4GB RAM (of which 2GB is allocated to the VM) did considerably better than on my current setup.  I suppose I can revert to Mavericks since I'm mainly working on Objective C on a very basic level and I suppose I can learn Swift on it as well, but given the rate at which the language and framework is developing, I'd rather run on Sierra.  I have an Intel HD4000 Ivy Bridge cpu, which only get 128MB vram picked up by the vmware.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

• 3 months later...

I'm running vmware 12 workstation player and have found el capitan's performance to be abysmal even after having installed the vmware tools.  I've also tried to install the clover bootloader to see what kind of performance gains I can get.  I'm now in sierra which is giving me very similar loads, which I suppose speaks well for sierra compared to the previous versions, but I'm still not super impressed.  I'm on an Intel Core i5 3427u with 12GB ram, of which 6GB is allocated to the vm.  I'm mainly trying to run vmware to study/practice xcode and the cocoa framework, but it's just awful.  Funny enough, the vmware image of Yosemite with beamoff running on a Dell Venue 11 Pro with 4GB RAM (of which 2GB is allocated to the VM) did considerably better than on my current setup.  I suppose I can revert to Mavericks since I'm mainly working on Objective C on a very basic level and I suppose I can learn Swift on it as well, but given the rate at which the language and framework is developing, I'd rather run on Sierra.  I have an Intel HD4000 Ivy Bridge cpu, which only get 128MB vram picked up by the vmware.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

I'm running Yosemite on my Dell Windows laptop with 2 GB of memory. The performance is acceptable for me. The one that really help speed up the performance is defragmenting your virtual hard drive.

I hope this will hellp you.

I'm running Yosemite on my Dell Windows laptop with 2 GB of memory. The performance is acceptable for me. The one that really help speed up the performance is defragmenting your virtual hard drive.

I hope this will hellp you.

like a VM or hackinthosh becuase those 2 are very different :)

2GB of ram and running a VM isn't a lot of ram