Dolby Digital Live or DTS with OSX?

dreadkopp

3 posts in this topic

Aloha Community,

i use a onboard ALC892 which runs fine with toledas patch and clover on Yosemite.

since i need about 15m of cable to connect to my amp i use a toslink cable instead of 3 15m analog ones.

in Windows i use Dolby Digital Live as output. This way i have 5.1 surround in games and movies.

When using OSX my optical Output is just detected as a 2-channel output and i see no option to encode the multiple surround streams to dolby digital or dts.

since i dislike to reboot into windows just to watch a movie in 5.1 i am looking for a solution:

i got two ideas how to fix it:

1)encode ddl or dts with osx and send it via toslink to amp

2)passthrough the whole onboard audiodevice to a virtual machine running windows and watch movies in the vm.

sadly i found no way to realize 1) so far and found no possibility to realize 2) with parallels (will try vmware fusion and virtualbox later)

if anyone has any idea how to get 5.1 via optical output with osx please tell me.

Greetings! 

any idea how to get 5.1 via optical output with osx

OS X supports DD and DTS passthrough over optical. Tested and working players:

1. PlexHT_v1.0.13
  2. XBMC_v13.0 - select System/Audio/Enable Passthrough
  3. MPlayerX_v1.0.22.1 - Yes/DD D/DTS (Preferences/Audio/Pass through AC3=Yes/DTS=Yes)

• 3 months later...

OS X supports DD and DTS passthrough over optical. Tested and working players:

1. PlexHT_v1.0.13
  2. XBMC_v13.0 - select System/Audio/Enable Passthrough
  3. MPlayerX_v1.0.22.1 - Yes/DD D/DTS (Preferences/Audio/Pass through AC3=Yes/DTS=Yes)

VLC player also supports it. 

[x] Use S/PDIF when available under Preferences/Audio.

I don't know of anything that will mix 5.1 to DD or DTS on the Mac like Dolby Digital live. My SBz does something similar. But non under OSX :)

Perhaps the Sound Blaster x7 does, but that thing is bank :)

my onboard sound died  :) the analogs sound like talking inside tin can, the optical sometimes works and sometimes not!