[Guide] OS X 10.10 Yosemite on SurfacePro2 - Multiboot

liliha

149 posts in this topic

I'm using the same dsdt.aml that I downloaded in this thread.... 

UPDATE: I just bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LGN8HWS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB wifi AC adapter, the drivers are beta for yosemite but I'l post my findings. (hopefully they are better than my current edimax 150mbs which only seems to give me 2mbs!).

From where exactly then? I have downloaded from the original links. It looks like brightness was fixed after those were posted.

I've been reading up a bit on this DSTD stuff. So it basically seems that DSTD is all hardware based code meaning the operating system shouldn't really matter. With that said, I'm going to give pokenguyen's DSTD a try and see how it goes. 

ktext files are operating system dependent.

--

Yep, it worked. Battery status comes back up. Now we need just need to patch a new kext file for bluetooth. I can "adjust" brightness now. Meaning it still doesn't actually adjust but at least I see the notification that it's attempting to adjust the brightness.

Instructions

1) Mount the EFISSD drive

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/EFISSD

2) Navigate to /EFISSD/CLOVER/ACPI/patched, replace the files with the one in pokenguyen's zip. SP2 0.4 (Re-PACK)/CLOVER. You only need to move dsdt.aml, ssdt-0.aml, ssdt-1.aml, ssdt-2.aml, ssdt-3.aml.

Thanks for leading me to the right place guys!

---

Edit: Bluetooth works now too! I took a look at the bluetooth ktext file and saw the same one being used for yosemite / mavericks. I dropped it along with the other ktext files, rebooted and sure enough, it works! 

Attaching the original EFI posted in this guide with the addition of the bluetooth ktext file + the above ^ dsdt / ssdt patches.

I think I got it from the above post from page 3.  Brightness for me works after putting the surface into sleep and taking it out.

I updated to 10.10.2 and to confirm what someone else said it ruins graphics glitches everywhere and destroyed my nice 720p HiDPI setup.

Reinstalled everything to 10.10 and applied 10.10.1 update which is still downloadable from Apple at: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1779?locale=en_US

and all is working great.

My windows key on the surface and the volume buttons have now stopped adjusting brightness which is annoying as I have to go into display settings.  I can still hear a blonk noise every time I try though...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good Day...

Would it be possible to provide a link to the files necessary for this install? Every reference to them leads to "Ooops.....". If they are truly no longer available, will someone update all applicable guides to reflect that fact? 

Thank you for a GREAT SITE!!

Yep, that should work. I still have the files, but it's stashed away on an external. I can probably dig around for it on the weekend and re-upload them. It'd be great if someone could figure out how to get the graphics drivers to work with the latest OS X.

Thanks for requesting the files stupendousdanny! If you hadn't I probably would have been too lazy to figure out the 10.10.2+ graphics issue. Anyways, if you want to upgrade to the latest OS, here's the fix!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304267-intel-hd4400-full-qeci-in-yosemite-1010210103/

After you install everything, just download v1.1  2/10/2015 - zip.gif  Patched_IntelHD4400_v2.sh.zip.

Unzip it on the desktop, open up terminal. Type 

./Patched_IntelHD4400_v2.sh

Hit enter and then it should ask you for an admin password. Type that in and hit enter. Once it's complete, reboot your computer and the graphics should be fixed!

• Like 1

Great Thread and great Howto

I got everything working on 10.10.3 kind of....

Running clover

Brigthness works every time,

Battery just seldome,

Bluethooth when it likes...

Any idea how to get the last to to work consistently?

I replaced the clover dsts with the one from Pokenguyen. 

I also put the kext into the EFI partition. Do I need to install those on the OSX system as well?

Gucky

BTW I am on a Surface 2 pro 1,9 Ghz with HD4400 8 GB

anyone have any issues with the surface not being able to wake up from sleep? I have to hold the power button to shut it down and restart to get back into osx. I've also installed the battery and usb3 fix but the battery shows 0% or an x through it. I am on 10.10.2

• 3 months later...

Does this play well with Windows 10? Also, is there a way I can put Clover elsewhere instead of replacing my default bootloader? I’ll still have my USB port occupied by my WiFi adapter, so could I use a USB key with Clover on it to start up and then switch it out once things are started up? Would that cause problems? The MicroSD isn’t working, right? So that’s not an option.  

Excellent guide and thanks for all the improvements.

What's the latest release anyone is running?
I have 10.10.5

Have HD4400 graphics running with 1536MB

Had sound and app store working before i got the battery meter to work...

iMessage only shows sent messages but does not show received messages.

now Ive lost sound and the app store/ my serial number.. and the worst part is that it takes about ten minutes to rebuild the cache on startup each time...

Any ideas?

Let me know what files would be helpful to attach... im new and grateful for how "more" straightforward all of you have made this!

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

Thanks for the amazing guide and all the info, I now have a nice looking yosemite install, just 10.10 for

now but it will do for me I think.

Anyway I got two issues I would like to ask for your help with if anyone managed to solve :)

When I'm dual booting with windows 10 (just removed boot options on hdd for clover and added them again) it seems like it loads some other config file or something because when i edit the config.plist in EFI/Clover/ folder it doesn't change Clover when i restart. Have someone experienced this or got any idea on how to locate the config.plist that is in use? It's working fine but I would really like to add DefaultVolume so I don't have to use the keyboard everytime I boot.

Second I got this graphic glitch on menubar when boot into osx, relogging in solves this.

I have seen people having problem with this on forums and tried to apply 9mb cursor patch and Rehabman's HD4400 fix. When i run EtreCheck i see this:

/System/Library/Extensions

[loaded]    com.realtek.driver.RtWlanU (1827.4 - SDK 10.9) [Click for support]

[loaded]    org.rehabman.driver.FakePCIID (1.2.0 - SDK 10.6) [Click for support]

[not loaded]    org.rehabman.injector.FakePCIID-HD4600-HD4400 (1.2.0 - SDK 10.6) [Click for support]

[loaded]    org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA (2.8.0 - SDK 10.7) [Click for support]

Can this be the case? But as mentioned before I don't got 10.10.2, just 10.10.

Please help me if you have any idea on how to solve my two minor (but a litte annoying) issues :)

Again thanks for a really nice guide and thread!

• 1 year later...

Hi! This guide was amazing! I have an Microsoft Surface Pro 2 256gb SSD working like a charm and trying the Touch Base drivers right now (they seem to work really well!).

Thanks for all the efforts!

Now, first some explanation and then the question:

This is the second Surface Pro 2 I have. The first one has a 128Gb SSD so I couldn't use OSX because of the well known freeze problem with that specific SSD. So I got another with 256gb, buoght via Amazon. It came and it is almost new! just one little scratch in one edge. 

So, this 256Gb machine is having just one problem: The (not well documented) blinking orange light on the right of the tablet, inside the vents. 

As I found in some posts, it appears that it's a big problem... Some said it was the video, etc. Most of the people recommended and/or sent the machine to Microsoft. In my case, it's late for that and also I live in Argentina, so it's almost impossible to send it to them.

What I have found is that when I use a Windows 8.1 USB (not an installer but an installation) the orange light doesn't blink, it is off. Whenever I load OSX from my SSD the light starts blinking. Nothing more happens, everything goes well!

Also, if I enter into the BIOS it also starts to blink.

I checked CPU Temp and it's on 60°C. Using a video benchmark test it goes up to 80°C. 

Also I did the Microsoft Diagnose Tool and it came with an error in the Microsoft Assesment Test - (DX DMA Error) most of the time but not always.

When I check the first Surface Pro 2 128Gb with the same test, I get the same error but less frequently.

Now for the question: Do you have the same blinking light in your Surface Pro 2? 

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same blinking light on Surface Pro 1. I have been using it with OS X (10.11) for quite some time (occasional usage for ~ 2 years) without any issues. I think the blinking light just means that some hardware is not initialised (SAM? or something else?*), so nothing to worry about. (This is just my opinion, I would love to hear others' ideas.)

(* this could probably be determined by running Windows in a virtual machine and connecting SAM/other USB devices to it and letting it install drivers for it)