[Guide] OS X 10.10 Yosemite on SurfacePro2 - Multiboot

liliha

149 posts in this topic

PM me your DSTD I will get it patched for you I'm not using surface pro u can use chameleon wizard to extract your DSTD if only u don't even have one at all. Then it will be patched nicely for you. And yeah download the latest ACPibatery.kext from the link the guy sent by RehabMan that alone will show the battery and the patched DSTD will make it function 100%

Mine shows the Battery but it just has an "X" in the middle of it...indicating no battery

I will see what i can do to try to extract my DSTD for you, thanks again teddy for ur help

Mine shows the Battery but it just has an "X" in the middle of it...indicating no battery

I will see what i can do to try to extract my DSTD for you, thanks again teddy for ur help

You're welcome. Yeah that's how it wOrks if I don't have a patched Dstd Mine was like that for like a week until I got my dstd patched. Have you managed to get message Working? How about your ethernet? That works right? I think with ur Ethernet set to en0 that should even work without wifi

I've been reading up a bit on this DSTD stuff. So it basically seems that DSTD is all hardware based code meaning the operating system shouldn't really matter. With that said, I'm going to give pokenguyen's DSTD a try and see how it goes. 

ktext files are operating system dependent.

--

Yep, it worked. Battery status comes back up. Now we need just need to patch a new kext file for bluetooth. I can "adjust" brightness now. Meaning it still doesn't actually adjust but at least I see the notification that it's attempting to adjust the brightness.

Instructions

1) Mount the EFISSD drive

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/EFISSD

2) Navigate to /EFISSD/CLOVER/ACPI/patched, replace the files with the one in pokenguyen's zip. SP2 0.4 (Re-PACK)/CLOVER. You only need to move dsdt.aml, ssdt-0.aml, ssdt-1.aml, ssdt-2.aml, ssdt-3.aml.

Thanks for leading me to the right place guys!

---

Edit: Bluetooth works now too! I took a look at the bluetooth ktext file and saw the same one being used for yosemite / mavericks. I dropped it along with the other ktext files, rebooted and sure enough, it works! 

Attaching the original EFI posted in this guide with the addition of the bluetooth ktext file + the above ^ dsdt / ssdt patches.

pokenguyen EFI - Surface 2.zip

• Like 4

I give it a try to oOo tut, but rebooting it still shows an X inside my battery

Yeah, I was initially plugged in to the power outlet and it said 100%. Now that I've unplugged, it's displaying the X. I'll have to check it out later.

BIG UPDATE:

Following "oOo" steps I have fixed the Bluetooth issue & battery, and can confirm its working

BIG UPDATE # 2:

I have successfully got USB 3.0 devices working off the USB3.0 ports & got the card reader to work in yosemite!!!!

Step 1: download the latest genericXHCI.kext from here https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads

Step 2: use this to replace the kext already in ur clover kext folder (I'm still booting off USB/microsd...soo my directory is different)

Step 3: most important part u must reset the kext cache

-open terminal

-type: sudo kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Restart ur machine & welcome the world of USB 3.0 ?

• Like 2

Any ideas? For me I was able to reassign the brightness keyboard keys...the indication of increase and decrease of brightness shows up but nothing actually happens

Glad USB 3.0 worked for u

Not sure how to get the brightness to always work. Last time it worked, my battery wasn't reporting.

Nice work guys, sounds like there is some solid progress happening ! I will update the guide as soon a i get the chance to try and consolidate everything so far.

• Like 1

Hold on, soo urs saying u were able to control the brightness before we replaced the DSDT correct?

Nope, prior to the DSDT replacement, my battery / brightness didn't work. Replacing it fixed it, BUT, it's sporadic. If I see my battery, the brightness slider doesn't work. If the brightness works, the battery doesn't. =/

Nope, prior to the DSDT replacement, my battery / brightness didn't work. Replacing it fixed it, BUT, it's sporadic. If I see my battery, the brightness slider doesn't work. If the brightness works, the battery doesn't. =/

Okay I get what your saying now, I am going to try something out when I get a chance (tonight or tomorrow) and I'll let u know what happens!

My goals are to fix brightness, Ethernet or internal wifi (but don't get ur hopes up ?) lol

I'll try it on my SP2 when it comes from the Technical Support. Don't know if it will be a 4200u or 4300u, so any difference on install(still needs to put dart=0, or something like that)? 

If you don't know I will be trying to install yosemite and I'll share all my discoveries here ;)

I'll try it on my SP2 when it comes from the Technical Support. Don't know if it will be a 4200u or 4300u, so any difference on install(still needs to put dart=0, or something like that)? 

If you don't know I will be trying to install yosemite and I'll share all my discoveries here ;)

Hey, no difference in the install for 4200u or 4300u (dart=0) is already implemented in both as I can tell since I'm 4300u and dart=0 was already incorporated in the the boot argument

To check the version of your processor In Windows just open the properties of "this computer" it will be listed there beside Intel i5 ________

Goodluck

• Like 1

Guys, I figured when the Brightness does start working for me,

When I first boot into Yosemite when I attempt to change brightness nothing happens BUT when I leave my SP2 ideal (I don't touch IT) my machine goes to sleep normally (as it should) BUT when I exit sleep and press brightness controls BRIGHTNESS WORKS

I dunno if this can help in any way... Lol

Ps:

I messaged "RehabMan" to see if he can help in any way, this is what he replied to me...I hope someone can use this to help us out:

Battery status: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/116102-guide-how-patch-dsdt-working-battery-status.html

Haswell Brightness Fix:

You will need to extract all DSDT/SSDT from Linux. Your GFX0 device is in one of the SSDTs not DSDT and to get a proper disassembly of your DSDT (and the SSDT that has GFX0) you will need all of them. They are available in /sys/firmware/acpi/tables and /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/dynamic. Place them on USB for transfer to OS X.

Place all SSDT/DSDT in a single directory and use a recent build of iasl to disassemble:

https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/acpica/downloads

cd "to directory where you placed all SSDT/DSDT"
iasl -da *.aml
Then search the resulting *.dsl so you know where GFX0 is defined. Search for "Device (GFX0)"...

Laptop repo: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

Apply: "Rename GFX0 to IGPU" (to both DSDT and the SSDT that has your GFX0 device)

Apply: "Brightness Fix (Haswell)" to the file (SSDT or DSDT) with GFX0 device definition.

install: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight

Place patched DSDT.aml in /Extra/dsdt.aml. Place patched SSDT in /Extra/ssdt-1.aml (assuming you have already generated SSDT.aml for CPU). Obviously different locations for Clover (EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched).

Result: Working brightness slider in SysPrefs->Displays (mapping of keyboard keys is a separate issue), possible LID sleep, and IGPU power management.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the guide! I'm using bluetooth for internet, computer works fantastically! Apple store, messages, FaceTime, my office 365 subscription... beautiful. Touch screen works, two finger scroll/right click on the touch 2 keyboard works, FN keys work. Touch screen is left click only (but you can drag)

IF:

Battery meter isn't working, or there are graphical artifacts, log out and log back in. Generally, I start up my comp, log in, log out, log in, and then it's fine forever, even after sleeping.

Oddly: Usb 3.0 works, but only if I boot with a 3.0 drive attached. At this point I can remove/reattach it forever. But if I don't boot with one attached, Usb 3.0 will never work. :/

Problem: Battery life sucks, but the real problem is heat. If I play a game like Kerbal Space Program, the computer gets super hot, fans go crazy, and battery depletes EVEN WHEN IT'S PLUGGED IN.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much for the guide! I'm using bluetooth for internet, computer works fantastically! Apple store, messages, FaceTime, my office 365 subscription... beautiful. Touch screen works, two finger scroll/right click on the touch 2 keyboard works, FN keys work. Touch screen is left click only (but you can drag)

IF:

Battery meter isn't working, or there are graphical artifacts, log out and log back in. Generally, I start up my comp, log in, log out, log in, and then it's fine forever, even after sleeping.

Oddly: Usb 3.0 works, but only if I boot with a 3.0 drive attached. At this point I can remove/reattach it forever. But if I don't boot with one attached, Usb 3.0 will never work. :/

Problem: Battery life sucks, but the real problem is heat. If I play a game like Kerbal Space Program, the computer gets super hot, fans go crazy, and battery depletes EVEN WHEN IT'S PLUGGED IN.

Any ideas?

This will be fixed when we have a complete DSDT and get proper power management etc. Oxycodon-IV is doing some great work in this direction, as it appears that solving the brightness adjustment issue will give us GPU power management (and subsequently proper throttling which should solve your heat and battery draw problems).

• Like 1

Thanks. I look forward to the update! I wonder if it's safe for me to play as it is. I'm assuming the computer can't damage itself, right? Should n't it just shut down if it gets too hot?

Some notes on my experience with the guide:
The copy clover to boot drive section was pretty confusing. Also, in that section, the
 EFI -> Microsoft -> Boot folder didn't exist, so I had to create it and then copy the file over and rename it.

Getting the app store to work right took some playing around. I'm not sure what all I did, but the last thing I did was delete a .conf or .pref file somewhere and under Networking, I deleted all my network connections, restarted, and added the ethernet before adding my bluetooth. It worked after that.

Afaik Messages/Facetime works for me without needing to do any of the generating key thing you mentioned. (Photo Booth doesn't work though, but the front camera for FaceTime does)

The mouse was pretty wonkey during the install, but I didn't have the guts to disconnect and reconnect it like you said to. I waited until after the install completed and then disconnected/reconnected. It worked beautifully.

I should probably note that I read through the first 4 pages and combined all my kexts and stuff BEFORE installing. 

Again, thank you so much for the guide! I have been so frustrated since I bought this tablet earlier this year. Windows keeps bugging out and messing up on it. It would randomly crash from the touch cover, and sometimes it wouldn't even boot until a hard reset. There were just so many little bugs that I can't remember them all. Things like my DPI settings resetting randomly between boots, etc. I even did a system restore from the recovery partition, and it didn't help. I was going to try to sell this thing and lose a lot of money, but now it works beautifully!
  • Like 1

Hey guys really, no update but I need help with something:

I haven't played with anything or changed anything in clover but I just came from work and tried to boot into OSX

And it not loading...I get the apple logo with the bar 2/3rd of the way then my machine powers off or reboots (I am still booting off USB, as I don't want to boot into clover off SSD until we solve all these glitches)

I cannot access Yosemite

Any advice before I try a whole new reinstall ?

Help!

If install clover onto SSD; will I be able to repair permission & repair drive without it causing failure each time?!

Can anyone confirm please?!?

If you are using a USB stick to boot into OSX via clover, putting clover on your internal SSD will be much easier for you. As for repairing permissions, i haven't had any issues with this at all, you should be fine :)

If you repair your drive (I assume you are referring to the windows one?) then this will likely not work with clover installed to your SSD. If this is ever the case, you can simply remove clover and put your Microsoft booltoader back via Windows, I will write up how to do this and add to the guide very soon.

Alternatively, if you have a critical failure of any kind, i believe if you enter into BIOS (hold volume up at boot) and install the secure boot keys + enable secure boot, this will automatically repair your bootloader and fallback to the Microsoft one, and boot straight into Windows (it does not repair it immediately, only after like 5 failed boots or something, been a while since i have needed to use this).