[Guide] OS X 10.10 Yosemite on SurfacePro2 - Multiboot

liliha

149 posts in this topic

XOnZYc.jpg

Multi-Boot Windows 8.1 & OS X Yosemite on SurfacePro2

0 - Requirements

- SP2 Yosemite files by pokenguyen

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292645-guide-surfacepro-1-2-osx-android-windows-multiboot/page-90?do=findComment&comment=2026406

- NullEthernet by RehabMan

- Clover bootloader

- A USB drive with 8GB for greater capactiy.
- It is strongly recommended you use a USB drive with speeds no greater than USB 2.0

1 - Shrinking your Windows Partition in preparation for multiboot.

(Will add soon)

2 - Preparing your USB for OS X Yosemite.

--> To the Point:

- Format USB as HFS+ (Journaled)
- Restore BaseSystem.dmg to USB
- Copy Packages to USB, overwriting link
- Copy Basesystem.dmg & BaseSystem.chunklist (located in Packages directory) to root of USB
- Install latest clover to USB with the following options:
- Install for UEFI booting only
- Install Clover in the ESP
-> Themes
- Select a theme
-> Drivers64UEFI
- EmuVariableUefi-64
- OsxAptioFixDrv-64
- Install RC scripts on target volume
- Install Clover Preference Pane
- Copy config.plist & kexts folder to EFI partition of USB - overwrite
- Copy latest NullEthernet ssdt-1.aml to CLOVER -> ACPI -> patched for App Store access etc.
- Ready to boot

--> Finer Detail

Formatting the USB.
Put your USB into your SurfacePro2 and Open Disk Utility. Select your USB from the list and then click on the 'erase' tab. We want to format the USB to 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)', the first option in the list. The name can be whatever you like :)

Yosemite -> USB
Open up Finder and go to your Applications. Right click (or Control+click) on 'OS X Yosemite' and choose 'show package contents'.
From here, go to Contents -> SharedSupport, then double-click to mount and open 'InstallESD.dmg'. Some files we need to access are hidden by default, but we can use the following command to reveal them, typed into the Terminal app:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1 && killall Finder
Now we open 'OS X Install ESD' from the desktop, we can see a few transparent files. Open up Disk Utility again and drag 'Base System.dmg' into the left pane. Select it from the left pane and click on the 'Restore' tab. Next, drag the partition we named earlier into the 'Destination' and click 'Restore'. It will ask you to confirm, then click 'Erase'.

Once this is done, you USB stick's folder will open automatically. If not, open it up. It is now named 'OS X Base System', and should be on your Desktop.

Now we want to open again 'InstallESD.dmg', which should still be mounted and also visible on the Desktop. Copy the 'Packages' folder from here, then on your USB stick go to System -> Installation and paste the folder here, overwriting the linked folder.

Finally, from the same folder copy 'BaseSystem.dmg' and 'BaseSystem.chunklist' to the Root of your USB stick.

Installing Clover to your USB
Double click on the Clover zip and extract the .pkg file (mine is named 'Clover_v2k_r2988'), then open this file to begin the Clover installation. On the first screen, click 'Continue, then again on the next screen. On the third screen, click on 'Change Install Location...' and select your USB called 'OS X Base System' and then 'Continue'. Now back on the third screen again, click on 'Customize'. From this list, we want to select the following checkboxes:

- Install for UEFI booting only
- Install Clover in the ESP
- Expand the 'Themes' option and select a theme that sounds nice (google can help). iClover is a nice choice.
- Expand 'Drivers64UEFI' and select 'EmuVariableUefi-64' and 'OsxAptioFixDrv-64'.
- Install RC scripts on target volume
- Install Clover Preference Pane

Thats it, now click install and let it do it's thing.
Once done, it should automatically mount the EFI partition which the Clover installer created on your USB stick, which should now be visible on the desktop.

Thank You pokenguyen
Extract pokenguyen's files anywhere, then navigate to the CLOVER folder and copy two things from here

- kexts (folder)
- config.plist

into your 'CLOVER' folder in the EFI partition of your USB stick, overwriting as necessary.

Finally, grab the NullEthernet zip you have downloaded, extract it and open up the folder. In here, you will find a file called 'ssdt-rmne.aml'. Rename this file to 'ssdt-1.aml' and place it in:
EFI -> CLOVER -> ACPI -> patched. This will help us get the App store/iCloud stuff working later.

3 - Installing OS X Yosemite.

--> To the Point:

- Install
- Copy clover over to internal SSD EFI partition
- replace bootmgfw.efi with CLOVERX64.efi
- enjoy

--> Finer Detail

Now for the easy part :)
Ensure you have disabled secure boot. Make sure your SurfacePro2 is completely OFF, it may be necessary to hold down the power button for 6 or so seconds to ensure it is completely off.
Next, ensure your USB is plugged in and begin holding down the volume button. While keeping the volume button down, press the power button and keep the volume button down until you see the clover boot menu, then release.
The first option (which should be currently selected) should read "Boot Mac OS X from OS X Base System". Simply press enter, and you should immediately presented with a black background with the Apple logo in the center. If during the boot process you are presented with a 'Cancel' like sign in place of the apple logo, this could be due to a incompatible USB drive. Go back to step 2 and try again with another USB drive ;)

Once you are presented with the language selection screen, select your preferred language and hit enter. Next, open up 'Disk Utility' from the 'Utilities' menu. If you split your drive via Windows Disk Manager shrink option or if you currently have OS X Mavericks (or other?) installed, select it from the left pane and erase it using the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format, then close the Disk Utility.

Proceed to install. Once it has completed and begins counting down to restart, let it do so, then power off your system in order to boot from USB using the previously mentioned method. You should now be able to see your newly installed among the list of the Clover boot menu. Select it and be patient !

Installing Clover to your Internal SSD
Now this can be done in one of two ways, depending on your preference:

- via OSX
Ensure your USB stick is plugged in. Open up Terminal and type in the following:

diskutil list
This will list all the presently mounted drives on your SurfacePro2. This may include a sd card aswell. What we are looking for is the EFI partition of your USB stick, the one Clover made for us earlier. Next to this partiton, there should be a name, such as 'disk1s1' or something similar. We also want to look for the EFI partition which is present on our internal SSD, which will probably be named 'disk0s2' or something similar.
Next we will mount these two drives so that we can access them in Finder. Type the following into terminal:
mkdir /Volumes/EFISSD 

and:

mkdir /Volumes/EFIUSB

then we will mount our two EFI partitions to our newly created directories:

- note: The order and directory names are not important.

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/EFISSD

and:

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFIUSB

replacing 'disk0s2' and 'disk1s1' with the corresponding values to your EFI drives.

Now if we open up Finder, we will see two mounted volumes in the left pane for us to choose from. Simply open up the one labeled 'EFI', then open the 'EFI' folder. Next, we want to copy the 'CLOVER' folder to the 'SYSTEM' volume, into the EFI folder. If you have a 'CLOVER' folder already present here from a previous OS X install, remove it before pasting the new one here.

Finally, open up the clover folder you just copied over, and copy from here the 'CLOVERX64.efi' and then on the 'SYSTEM' volume navigate to:

EFI -> Microsoft -> Boot

In here you will find a file called 'bootmgfw.efi'. This is the boot manager which boots straight to windows. Rename this to something like 'bootmgfw.bkup' and paste 'CLOVERX64.efi' here, then rename it to match the original bootmgfw file.

Now simply reboot and enjoy :)

- via Windows

(Will add this soon)

Post Installation Notes
- In my experience so far, some things wont work on the first or even second boot, so if something isn't working right away, be patient and cross fingers :)
- SurfacePro keyboard is sometimes a bit strange when you boot up, just unplug and re-plug and it should be fixed.

I will be revising this guide very soon, so please let me know if there is anything I have left out / assumed / just got plain wrong and ill do my best to fix it ASAP.

So what doesn't work?
Most of the important stuff will work out of box, but a few key things wont:

• No Battery indicator
  • no internal bluetooth or wifi
  • USB 3.0 drives don't work (a USB 2.0 hub may allow access to these drives)
  • iMessage / Facetime (need to generate valid key via CloverConfigurator and add to Clover config.plist)
  • Screen Brightness adjustment (the default is adequte)
  • Multitouch gestures (touchbase drivers?)

Credits / Thanks
Firstly, thank you pokenguyen for the SP2 files you provided for the 10.10 DP1 guide, which made this guide possible. Without these, I doubt many people at all would be running Yosemite on our SP2 right now :)

Thank you RehabMan for your excellent NullEthernet solution.

Big thanks to the Clover Bootloader team.

Thank you Jahstories, for your eternal patience and wisdom, from which I learnt virutally all of my Hackintosh knowledge !

Thank you Apple :)

Thank you  oOoasd0rr and Oxycodon-IV for helping to improve the guide !

And Finally, thanks to this awesome community, who make all this possible.
  • Like 6

Amazing detail !!! Thank u

Two question thou, "copy clover to the EFI SSD PARTITION" do u mean the EFI partion that was created when installing Windows (containing the windows boot files)

Also for the Intel 4300u CPU SP2, do we still need to edit the config.plist file? To add the dart=0 to the boot arguments in clover (mikespike said this in the very first guide for 10.9-10.9.4), can you please explain where do we input that "dart=0" inside the config.plist file?

Two question thou, "copy clover to the EFI SSD PARTITION" do u mean the EFI partion that was created when installing Windows (containing the windows boot files)

Also for the Intel 4300u CPU SP2, do we still need to edit the config.plist file? To add the dart=0 to the boot arguments in clover (mikespike said this in the very first guide for 10.9-10.9.4), can you please explain where do we input that "dart=0" inside the config.plist file?

You are correct, "copy clover to the EFI SSD PARTITION" means to get clover onto the Windows-created EFI partition. Our objective is to replace our stock bootloader with Clover's solution. :)

As for the 4300u model, please experiment and tell me what you can so i may update the guide. I'm running the 4200u model (as per my signature) and so I am unable to test this for you.

Thanks for the guide! I'll give it an attempt later and fill in any ambiguities.

- When you format the drive, doesn't it have to be a GUID partition?

Thanks for pointing that out ! Yes, it must be a GUID instead of MBR, I will update the guide shortly. I have a feeling when we restore BaseSystem.dmg to our USB it formats it to the appropriate one anyway?

@liliha

I believe I found an small typo error in ur guide, under "installing clover to SSD"

In terminal, u posted 2 command lines to create new directorys (mkdir /Volumes/EFISSD ) u made two exactly the same directories, where in the following step u called one directory "EFISSD" & "EFIUSB"...just wanted to let u know :)

Thank u again so much, I am actually going to use this guide to try to get this running on my machine :) (just have to use a VM for OSX To get create the USB) wish me luck

• Like 1

Ok finally I managed to have Yosemite working.

I think it would be interesting to add a note like: if you start installing and managed to have a kinda corrupted video with glitched images try another usb thumb.

I have also to point out a thing, at this very moment the first think I noticed is that the battery status is not working, I think it is due the fact that the kext are not beeing moved to SSD installation of Yosemite. Can you also update your guide with that part?

@asd0rr by video glitch, do you mean something like the attached image? It happens right after I get the "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!" error.

Looks like this drive (Patriot Supersonic Magnum 64GB USB 3.0) might not be compatible. I'll report back later with a USB 2.0 drive.

---

A few small tweaks to the guide.

Extract pokenguyen's files anywhere, then open the 'EFI' folder, navigate to the CLOVER folder, copy two things from here

Also do you replace the kexts folder or only move over the contents in “Other”? Looks like either one would work.

post-1251428-0-54652600-1415142055_thumb.png

• Like 1

@asd0rr by video glitch, do you mean something like the attached image? It happens right after I get the "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!" error.

Looks like this drive (Patriot Supersonic Magnum 64GB USB 3.0) might not be compatible. I'll report back later with a USB 2.0 drive.

---

A few small tweaks to the guide.

Extract pokenguyen's files anywhere, then open the 'EFI' folder, navigate to the CLOVER folder, copy two things from here

Also do you replace the kexts folder or only move over the contents in “Other”? Looks like either one would work.

You seem to be using the  safe mode or without cache   with injected kext 

option within Clover.

I have a similar problem:

When booting from Clover and Pressing enter on "Boot Mac OS X from OS X Base System"... I DO get the apple logo with the black background, then the loading bar appears under the Apple logo...it loads 1/3 of the way then the Apple logo turns in that symbol in the Image above (Circle with a Line through it)

Any Ideas guys?

After a quarter of the loader bar fills up, the apple logo turns into a cancel icon so I tried the verbose mode. I'll report back in a few hours when I try another hard drive.

Ahh, looks like we have the same issue oxycodon-IV. 

I have a similar problem:

When booting from Clover and Pressing enter on "Boot Mac OS X from OS X Base System"... I DO get the apple logo with the black background, then the loading bar appears under the Apple logo...it loads 1/3 of the way then the Apple logo turns in that symbol in the Image above (Circle with a Line through it)

Any Ideas guys?

After searching around the forums for quite a bit of time, I tried a bunch of random suggestions... needless to say, I finally got the installer to show up. About to attempt the rest of the guide.

From the looks of it, an older / slower flash drive seemed to do the trick. SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive

What didn't work

- Attempting to change the config.plist params

- Pulling off the surface touch keyboard when attempting to load the base drive

- Using an external HD as a flash drive

- Connecting a flash drive / external HD to a USB 2.0 hub then connecting the hub to the surface

- Connecting a flash drive / external HD to a USB 3.0 hub then connecting the hub to the surface

@oOO

That's great news, I was trying the exact same thing with using a USB 2.0 hub on a USB 3.0 flash drive (I actually used the Surface pro Docking station) but like u said NO LUCK!

I don't have any 8Gb or larger USB 2.0 around soo I will have to go out and purchase one tomorrow :(

Did u have to boot without cache or kexts injections or safe mode? Or just as the Guide said just straight into the Installation normally?

I booted normally. Clover came up and I found my usb and just hit enter.

---

Looks like everything after that went pretty smoothly. I'm up and running with yosemite! Now I just need to figure out my wifi situation and get figure out how to get the trackpad to respond better.

---

I'm not sure if I messed up by selecting "this computer is ethernet only during the setup process," but I don't see WIFI or Bluetooth. I'm trying to use an external dongle but it looks the one I have EW-7811un doesn't have a yosemite driver....

I've also noticed that USB 3.0 flash drives aren't being read by the surface. My USB 2.0 ones work fine.

To fix the surface keyboard jumping issues, I lowered the resolution.

• Like 1

Ok finally I managed to have Yosemite working.

I think it would be interesting to add a note like: if you start installing and managed to have a kinda corrupted video with glitched images try another usb thumb.

I have also to point out a thing, at this very moment the first think I noticed is that the battery status is not working, I think it is due the fact that the kext are not beeing moved to SSD installation of Yosemite. Can you also update your guide with that part?

Great to hear it is working for you :)

The corrupted screen occurs for me every time i boot (!), but still boots normally so may not be the sole indicator of a faulty USB?

Yes, Batterystatus is a bit random, sometimes it works for me and other times it doesn't, definitely a kext issue. I have tried manually installing pokenguyen's files post installation with no change (my guess is they are being injected from the clover bootloader directory by default on boot anyway??). Also tried passing these accross before initial reboot post install (as Mavericks guide instructs) but had the same effect. Hopefully, pokenguyen will provide us with some updated kexts in the near future ! :)

Thanks for the input oOo, asd0rr and Oxycodon-IV , I'll update the guide to strongly recommend a USB 2.0 drive for the guide, hopefully this will eliminate any future troubleshooting on that part. 

I'm not sure if I messed up by selecting "this computer is ethernet only during the setup process," but I don't see WIFI or Bluetooth. I'm trying to use an external dongle but it looks the one I have EW-7811un doesn't have a yosemite driver....

For me, my ASUS N13 B's Mavericks driver works fine on Yosemite, definitely try the latest version of your hardware's driver, you might be surprised :)

For me, my ASUS N13 B's Mavericks driver works fine on Yosemite, definitely try the latest version of your hardware's driver, you might be surprised :)

Thanks! I found a driver from an alternative company that was compatible. 

So it looks like the things that don't work are...

• No battery indicator
  • No internal bluetooth or wifi
  • USB 3.0 doesn't work
  • iMessage / Facetime
  • Can't adjust screen brightness
  • Multitouch gestures

Yep, it seems that usb 3.0 pen doesn't work fine, I switched to 2.0 and worked fine without any issue

wow seriously? USB 3.0 don't work? everything I own is 3.0 :S

Yep, I'll have to try passing the devices through a USB 2.0 hub to see if it works, but I'd imagine it won't since I wasn't able to boot a USB 3.0 flash drive through a USB 2.0 hub. I wonder if it's related to drivers. I'll do more exploration later and report back.

• Like 1

Thanks! I found a driver from an alternative company that was compatible. 

So it looks like the things that don't work are...

• No battery indicator
  • No internal bluetooth or wifi
  • USB 3.0 doesn't work
  • iMessage / Facetime
  • Can't adjust screen brightness
  • Multitouch gestures

Thanks for this, this looks about right from my experience so far too. I will add these to the guide.

That would be amazing!! But stupid question, does anyone know how we could take those fixes and implement them here?

Hey guys, can this be used in anyway to fix iMessage/facetime ?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/297120-surface-pro-how-to-get-icloudappstore-to-work-guide/

Thanks for the link! It helped me understand a bit more about what the clover files and all that stuff were for. Looks like we were half way there when we checked the "Install RC Scripts" + moved the null ethernet driver into the patched folder. Let me know if these instructions work since I'm just doing it from memory....

Fixing iMessage (Assuming you have a working wifi dongle)

1) Open System Preferences > Network. Select the Ethernet on the left side and delete it.

2) Now click on the + sign on the bottom left corner. Select Ethernet as the interface and hit create. You should see an orange dot next to Ethernet and it should say "self-assigned IP".

3) Go on a Mac with a valid iMessage account. Download this software (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/download/278-imessage-debug/) and run it. Save the the text file when it prompts you to save it or not.

4) In the file you are looking for two specific fields ROM + BoardSerialNumber.

Surface Pro

5) Go to your Surface Pro. Open up terminal, mount the EFI folder again.

`sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/EFISSD`

6) Download http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/file/49-clover-configurator/ 

7) Open the clover configurator app. File >> import configuration, navigate to /Volumes/EFISSD/...... config.plist (can someone fill this detail in)

8) Now Click on Rt Variables on the left panel. Fill in ROM with the ROM in the text file. Hit Calculate.

9) Click on SMBIOS on the left panel. Fill in Board Serial Number with the BoardSerialNumber in the text file.

10) File >> Export Configuration

11) Shutdown and reboot machine

12) Connect to wifi via USB dongle.

13) Login to iMessage!
  • Like 1