Sandy Bridge-E & Ivy Bridge-E Power management 10.10 Yosemite

stinga11

75 posts in this topic

This guide is for get a working Power Management on any X79

1. We need to patch the AICPM with the OMNI patch otherwise it will never work. I made a command file for this, Open with double click a type your password. (Is only if you have a Sandy Bridge-E if you have a Ivy Bridge-E skip this step)

Perl patch:

Or
Clover patch (If you prefered to use the clover patch not need to use the perl patch)
FF0F842D
to
FF0F852D

to
01EB56

7411B9
to
EB11B9

740B4183FC037511B9420600
to
EB0B4183FC037511B9420600

02740B4183FC037522B90206
to
02EB0B4183FC037522B90206

0100010F84
to
0100010F85

3E7539
to
3E9090

Using clover configurator is easier. Your clover configurator have to see like this.

post-408886-0-84432500-1417968049_thumb.png

2. We need to patch the Msr lock. For this we need download the following script. (Is only if you have a board with msr lock if you have a Asus or Asrock skip this step)

NOTE: Clover has the MSR lock patcher but for some reason does not work with X79 platform.

3. Finally we need to download the following dummy kext and put it in /System/Library/Extensions/

4. Now is time to create it a SSDT for our cpu for this you need download the ssdtPRGen.

5. Run my cache rebuild and enjoy your x79 with power management.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!

Very nice guide, thanks for that!  ;)

Agreed, maybe this could be a sticky?

Anyway, been using stinga11's Clover patches for a while now with great success (Gigabyte X79-UD5 with a 3930K and also manually running the MSR patch.)

It has however stopped working with 10.10.1. My other Clover kext patches are still working so I assume this is specific to AICPUPM (I did have to run the MSR patch again.) I can roll back for now, but I suspect there may have been some changes.

EDIT: It seems for whatever reason the kext patching from Clover is the culprit. I patched the kext directly and it is working fine now. In the end it doesn't matter as I have to run the MSR patch anyway.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing! 4 hours looking for info to have SpeedStep and Turbo working on my ASUS P9X79 PRO and finally i found this topic... and it works!! The only issue is that the clover patch method doesn't work on latest Yosemite 10.10.1. I suggest to put an advice for other users. the perl method does work fine. so, many thanks stinga11 for sharing the info... really cool. Thanks!! :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Stringa,

you have patch for C602 ivy Xeon e5 v2 ?

is same to Ivy Bridge-E?

thanks

Yes the Intel Xeon E5-26xx v2 is Ivy bridge-e. If you use two processors on the same motherboard you may have to change a couple kext but if only one processor with this guide is enough.

• Like 1

The ACPI driver and the PCI driver you need to replace them with the 10.9 or 10.9.1 mavericks.

ok i download this version,Original AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (13C32): from here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295200-testers-needed-cpu-power-management-for-sb-and-ib-xeons-or-i7-39xx-on-x79-or-c60x-chipset/

and PCI driver , where ?

and apply your patch in clover , repair cache and reboot , right?

thanks

I would advise you to download the official DMG file from Apple so that you have all required files. In your case the OS X 10.9.2 DMG from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1726

Also. Stinga said: "ACPI driver and the PCI driver" and thus you should not have to replace AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (and the client) but look for AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext No idea why you would need it but hey another day another learning moment ;)

I would advise you to download the official DMG file from Apple so that you have all required files. In your case the OS X 10.9.2 DMG from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1726

Also. Stinga said: "ACPI driver and the PCI driver" and thus you should not have to replace AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (and the client) but look for AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext No idea why you would need it but hey another day another learning moment ;)

Omni said that when you have a dual processors x79 platform we need change the acpi and pci driver with a version from 10.9 or 10.9.1 otherwise your computer works extremely slow.

I had a same problem in 10.9.2, and as I posted on Netkas's forum, I ultimately resolved it by replacing IOPCIFamily and AppleACPIFamily from 10.9.1.

If you do not want to replace kexts, alternative was suggested by mysticalos to raise certain PCI voltages in BIOS. My BIOS does not offer the needed voltage options, so I had to resort to kext replacement.

Regarding the CPUs, I used Pike's script as a base but then I manually add and correct things. You won't be generating SSDT all the time, so might as well invest some time into customizing it to your own needs. 

ok i download this version,Original AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (13C32): from here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295200-testers-needed-cpu-power-management-for-sb-and-ib-xeons-or-i7-39xx-on-x79-or-c60x-chipset/

and PCI driver , where ?

and apply your patch in clover , repair cache and reboot , right?

thanks

You do not need download the Original AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (13C32) For this I made a little command file for patch the Yosemite AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. You can download the command file from OP.

Omni said that when you have a dual processors x79 platform we need change the acpi and pci driver with a version from 10.9 or 10.9.1 otherwise your computer works extremely slow.

Thanks. The problem is that the files are not there in the 10.9.1Update DMG and thus I looked at:

https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.9seed-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz

And the latest update was that of 2013-10-07T20:45:55Z but that is, apparently, not the GM or official 10.9 release. Still searching for the DMG file...

Thanks. The problem is that the files are not there in the 10.9.1Update DMG and thus I looked at:

https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.9seed-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz

And the latest update was that of 2013-10-07T20:45:55Z but that is, apparently, not the GM or official 10.9 release. Still searching for the DMG file...

At this time the only way to find these file is to download the original installer from a torrent site.

https://kickass.so/os-x-mavericks-10-9-official-appstore-t8057697.html

Yep , ok i put kext 10.9.0 , reboot system give me problem dependecies .

Stringa i try your patch but same story, system enter on desktop without problem and after 30 second kp and reboot.

Pike your ssdt is perfect.

I think a dual xeon ivy be destined to always use nullcpu and everything set in bios at maximum power.

Await a new kernel, so can enable HT and have all 48 core :) until then fit the 24;)

I am happy and have the same 50000 in Geekbench and do editing in 6k be fabulous.

thanks for your effort.

If you have other ideas let me know

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the X79PlatformPlugin.kext.  Is the purpose of this to set the MacMini SMC algorithm?  Some use a FakeSMCkeystore.kext instead.  I am assuming both of these do the same thing? Could setting an SMBIOS profile to iMac14,2 for example interfere with the function of this kext?  In other words lets say the MacMini6,2 is algorithm is generated from the X79PlatformPlugin.kext and iMac14,2 profile is set in the Clover SMBIOS.  What affect could that have?

Thanks

I have a question about the X79PlatformPlugin.kext.  Is the purpose of this to set the MacMini SMC algorithm?  Some use a FakeSMCkeystore.kext instead.  I am assuming both of these do the same thing? Could setting an SMBIOS profile to iMac14,2 for example interfere with the function of this kext?  In other words lets say the MacMini6,2 is algorithm is generated from the X79PlatformPlugin.kext and iMac14,2 profile is set in the Clover SMBIOS.  What affect could that have?

Thanks

The old Legacy ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin works on fakesmc but the new x86PlatformPlugin doesn't works on fakesmc if you want to try it and let me know if it works.

I have a Xeon e5-1620 v1 (Sandy Bridge) 3.6 ghz. Will this work for me? If yes, after i follow the steps, do i need to delete nullcpupowermanagement and fakesmc? Oh and i am not sure what X79 is, is it the board model? I have a generic Intel/HP board (HP Z420 Desktop) sorry for being such a noob. 

The old Legacy ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin works on fakesmc but the new x86PlatformPlugin doesn't works on fakesmc if you want to try it and let me know if it works.

I have a clearer picture now. So this applies to current hardware, like Haswell for example? What about legacy hardware like i7 first generation or Cor2Duo's etc., will they use the new plugin X86 if running MacOS 10.10.2 or will it use the legacy plugin ACPI_SMC instead?

Is there a good read on this subject?

Thanks

i followed these steps but didnt see much difference. i only have two steps 12 and 37 for my Xeon E5-1620 V2 Ivy Bridge. Did i miss something? I am using Clover to boot in uefi but i used the patch in the first step. 

To make it work you have to follow all the steps including caches_rebuild.command. And if your motherboard is not ASROCK or ASUS, you need follow the MSR lock section.

Thanks for that i was looking for something like that to enable my sleep...anyway after following the steps (step 2) I don't see sleep option in SP...see picture, I have generated SSDT and I'm using clover, the name of the file can make different? it named ssdt and not SSDT...

Anyway please help me to figure out the problem

thanks!

post-474300-0-22169100-1423691477_thumb.png