Cannot get speed stepping to work at all.

stuppy_

24 posts in this topic

Hi

Since using Clover, I have been unable to get speed stepping working on my Hackintosh.  I have tried so many guides from on here and various other sites and none of them are working.  I have tried that many actually that I am totally confused as to what to try next. 

I have used PikerAlpha's SSDT generator script, using all variants of the -w flag, and using these with various P/C states and DropOEM SSDT options in Clover Configurator - nothing works. 

The only P-States I have ever managed to get are:

1. 16/35/36/37/38/39

2. 8 (locked at 800mhz)

My current system is set up like:

• Using a DSDT: To create the DSDT I disabled all of the on-the-fly DSDT fixes in Clover, got a clean DSDT file, and then applied the Z77X-UD5H patches from pjalms repository.
  • I have tried most of the iMac SMBios's.  I tried MacMini6,1 but my screen would not come on.  I have also tried booting with a blank SMBios and letting Clover decide what to use on boot. 
  • All files are vanilla.  I have not patched/edited any of the power management kext

Please, I am begging for help!  Thanks.

I have a similar system, and I found the following command to work for Piker's script:

-w 3 -x 0

Make sure "-xpcm" is off in your kernel arguments.  That SSDT is giving me correct speedstep (16x/25x/34x/35x/36x/37x/38x/39x).

I'm using iMac13,2 SMBIOS.

I have a similar system, and I found the following command to work for Piker's script:

-w 3 -x 0

Make sure "-xpcm" is off in your kernel arguments.  That SSDT is giving me correct speedstep (16x/25x/34x/35x/36x/37x/38x/39x).

I'm using iMac13,2 SMBIOS.

Hi Cobra,

Thanks for your reply.  I have used Pikers script with the flags you suggested and ensuring -xpcm is not enabled.  Still the only states I can get (checking using MSRDumper) are 16/37/38/39,  and it seems to idle at 37-39 rather than 16.  My CPU is not overclocked - so the fact that I am even getting 35 is a bit odd too.

Can you confirm what your settings are in Clover Config > ACPI?  What do you have listed in Drop Tables?  Do you have Drop OEM enabled? What about Generate P and S States?  What about your DSDT (if you use one)?  How did you create that?

Any advice you can offer would be great.  Since we have the same hardware, I think you might be the guy who can help me solve my problem :)

Thanks.

Hi Cobra,

Thanks for your reply.  I have used Pikers script with the flags you suggested and ensuring -xpcm is not enabled.  Still the only states I can get (checking using MSRDumper) are 16/37/38/39,  and it seems to idle at 37-39 rather than 16.  My CPU is not overclocked - so the fact that I am even getting 35 is a bit odd too.

Can you confirm what your settings are in Clover Config > ACPI?  What do you have listed in Drop Tables?  Do you have Drop OEM enabled? What about Generate P and S States?  What about your DSDT (if you use one)?  How did you create that?

Any advice you can offer would be great.  Since we have the same hardware, I think you might be the guy who can help me solve my problem :)

Thanks.

In the ACPI section, I have the DMAR table dropped (but this is for VT-d support in BIOS, nothing to do with speedstep).  I have DropOEM set to YES.  Generate P states and C states are specifically set to NO.

DSDT I'm using is extracted myself and then patched using pjalm's UD5H, Discrete Graphics, and HD4000 patches.

I should note that when I tried using Piker's script with Macmini6,2 SMBIOS, I could not get it to work.  I could only get it working with iMac13,2.

FYI, my processor is the i7-3770, not the 3770k.  Very similar, but not the same.

In the ACPI section, I have the DMAR table dropped (but this is for VT-d support in BIOS, nothing to do with speedstep).  I have DropOEM set to YES.  Generate P states and C states are specifically set to NO.

DSDT I'm using is extracted myself and then patched using pjalm's UD5H, Discrete Graphics, and HD4000 patches.

I should note that when I tried using Piker's script with Macmini6,2 SMBIOS, I could not get it to work.  I could only get it working with iMac13,2.

FYI, my processor is the i7-3770, not the 3770k.  Very similar, but not the same.

Nice one thanks.  Can you tell me what you're using to check which P-States are achieved?  

I am using iStats Menu, HWMonitor and the Intel Power Gadget, and MSRDumper to try and determine what states I am achieving.  Everything is pointing toward 16/37/38/39 at the moment using the settings you have provided. 

If I may ask about your DSDT again:  When you extracted the DSDT, how did you do this?  The way I got mine, and this was following a guide, was to boot the system but disable all of the DSDT fixes that Clover applies on the fly.  I believe this resulted in a 0x00000 mask for the DSDT fixes in Clover.   Once booted, I used MacIASL > File > New from ACPI > DSDT.  I then applied the UD5H pjalm patch.  Is this how you did yours?  

Are there any other settings you can think of that might be causing me not being able to get results like you?

Thanks again for your time.

Nice one thanks.  Can you tell me what you're using to check which P-States are achieved?  

I am using iStats Menu, HWMonitor and the Intel Power Gadget, and MSRDumper to try and determine what states I am achieving.  Everything is pointing toward 16/37/38/39 at the moment using the settings you have provided. 

If I may ask about your DSDT again:  When you extracted the DSDT, how did you do this?  The way I got mine, and this was following a guide, was to boot the system but disable all of the DSDT fixes that Clover applies on the fly.  I believe this resulted in a 0x00000 mask for the DSDT fixes in Clover.   Once booted, I used MacIASL > File > New from ACPI > DSDT.  I then applied the UD5H pjalm patch.  Is this how you did yours?  

Are there any other settings you can think of that might be causing me not being able to get results like you?

Thanks again for your time.

Yep that's exactly how I created my "virgin" DSDT.  From there, I applied the patches.

I think that your SMBIOS is very important in generating the SSDT.  I noticed that with Macmini6,2, I could not get speedstep working with Piker's script.

Great. Glad to know created the DSDT the way they are meant to be creates.

I have a hell of time over the last couple of days trying to get more P- States. Whatever I do just doesn't work properly.

I used ssdtPrgen with -w 3 x 0 using iMac13,2. When th script had complete it told me it was for 24 C-States plus 4 turbo states The only C-States I get are 16/36/37/38/39, so one normal and the 4 turbo States.

I tried using -w 1 & 2 but all that leaves with me is one C-State 8, stuck at 800mhz! I tried using various SMbios profiles too to see if it would make any difference but it doesn't. I must have made over 100 changes and reboots over the last couple of days. I just cannot understand where I am going wrong.

I have a couple more questions if you have time to answer.

Firstly can your explain what "dropping a table" actually is? Like in the Drop Tables section I have DMAR as I too use virtualisation, had have been experimenting with tables SSDT(CPUPM) and SSDT(CPU0IST). What actually happens when I put these entries in there?

Also DropOEM SSDT: when that is ticked, does that mean Clover will not create any SSDT information at all, so it doesn't conflict with any custom SSDT?

On the KextsandKernels section of Clover Config, there are entries such as RTC Patch, Ausu AICPUPM, kernelPM etc, do you have any of these ticked?

What about files you have added or modified? Have you manually patched any of the Apple power management kexts? Have you added any files anywhere?

What about bios settings? Are there any settings I should be aware of?

Sorry for asking so many questions (some of them repeating). I just do not get why I cannot get it working.

In fact what would be absolutely fantastic: if you could send a copy of you config.plist, a copy of your DSDT and SSDT and list of any files you have in your kext folder (as well any additions or changed files elsewhere)

What BIOS version are you running? What Verizon of Clover do you have installed?

Many thanks. Hope you can continue helping me till I get it fixed... Or till I give up trying lol.

Cheers

Great. Glad to know created the DSDT the way they are meant to be creates.

I have a hell of time over the last couple of days trying to get more P- States. Whatever I do just doesn't work properly.

I used ssdtPrgen with -w 3 x 0 using iMac13,2. When th script had complete it told me it was for 24 C-States plus 4 turbo states The only C-States I get are 16/36/37/38/39, so one normal and the 4 turbo States.

I tried using -w 1 & 2 but all that leaves with me is one C-State 8, stuck at 800mhz! I tried using various SMbios profiles too to see if it would make any difference but it doesn't. I must have made over 100 changes and reboots over the last couple of days. I just cannot understand where I am going wrong.

I have a couple more questions if you have time to answer.

Firstly can your explain what "dropping a table" actually is? Like in the Drop Tables section I have DMAR as I too use virtualisation, had have been experimenting with tables SSDT(CPUPM) and SSDT(CPU0IST). What actually happens when I put these entries in there?

Also DropOEM SSDT: when that is ticked, does that mean Clover will not create any SSDT information at all, so it doesn't conflict with any custom SSDT?

On the KextsandKernels section of Clover Config, there are entries such as RTC Patch, Ausu AICPUPM, kernelPM etc, do you have any of these ticked?

What about files you have added or modified? Have you manually patched any of the Apple power management kexts? Have you added any files anywhere?

What about bios settings? Are there any settings I should be aware of?

Sorry for asking so many questions (some of them repeating). I just do not get why I cannot get it working.

In fact what would be absolutely fantastic: if you could send a copy of you config.plist, a copy of your DSDT and SSDT and list of any files you have in your kext folder (as well any additions or changed files elsewhere)

What BIOS version are you running? What Verizon of Clover do you have installed?

Many thanks. Hope you can continue helping me till I get it fixed... Or till I give up trying lol.

Cheers

Hey there,

Unfortunately, I'm no expert.  I've learned a lot about how this stuff works over the years, but I'm by no means a developer of any of these tools so I might not be able to answer all of these questions correctly, but I'll give it a shot.

"I tried using -w 1 & 2 but all that leaves with me is one C-State 8, stuck at 800mhz! I tried using various SMbios profiles too to see if it would make any difference but it doesn't. I must have made over 100 changes and reboots over the last couple of days. I just cannot understand where I am going wrong. "

I've noticed the same thing on my machine.  -w 1 or -w 2, or any combination with -x 1 gave me simply 800MHz lock or my computer simply wouldn't boot.  The only combination I got to work was -w 3 -x 0.

"Firstly can your explain what "dropping a table" actually is? Like in the Drop Tables section I have DMAR as I too use virtualisation, had have been experimenting with tables SSDT(CPUPM) and SSDT(CPU0IST). What actually happens when I put these entries in there? "

Here's where my knowledge is limited.  If you read the Clover configuration page on this (http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/ACPI#DropTables), it says that it will "Drop OEM ACPI tables by signature and/or table identifier."  So it looks like it will drop the table based on the name given.  If my memory serves me correctly, dropping DMAR is only necessary for processors that support VT-d (mine does, since I have the 3770, but yours does not since you have the 3770k).  For me, without dropping the DMAR table, I cannot boot into OSX.  You can try without it and see what happens.

As for dropping CPUPM and CPU0IST, I'm pretty sure this is the same as setting the "DropOem" option.  So I think you want to use one or the other (either DropOem, or drop those two tables).  Personally I use DropOem but I do not drop the tables.

"Also DropOEM SSDT: when that is ticked, does that mean Clover will not create any SSDT information at all, so it doesn't conflict with any custom SSDT?"

Yeah, that sounds right to me.

"On the KextsandKernels section of Clover Config, there are entries such as RTC Patch, Ausu AICPUPM, kernelPM etc, do you have any of these ticked? "

No.  I'm simply have the kext patch to fix TRIM on my SSD.

"What about files you have added or modified? Have you manually patched any of the Apple power management kexts? Have you added any files anywhere?"

Nope, but I did add a kext to give my discrete graphics card proper management by AGPM.  I did that from this link:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/94318-applenativegpupowermanagement-kext.html

"What about bios settings? Are there any settings I should be aware of?"

See here for my settings:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-guides/128986-ultrazones-guide-z77x-ud5h-mavericks-clover-uefi-mode.html

"What BIOS version are you running? What Verizon of Clover do you have installed?"

BIOS: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/48085-gigabyte-modified-bios-390.html#post488661

Clover: Latest as of today, r2988.

I can try to get my files hosted if you are still having issues.

I have used PikerAlpha's SSDT generator script, using all variants of the -w flag, and using these with various P/C states and DropOEM SSDT options in Clover Configurator - nothing works. 

To create the DSDT I disabled all of the on-the-fly DSDT fixes in Clover, got a clean DSDT file, and then applied the Z77X-UD5H patches from pjalms repository.

I have tried most of the iMac SMBios's.  I tried MacMini6,1 but my screen would not come on.  I have also tried booting with a blank SMBios and letting Clover decide what to use on boot

Hi,

make sure no ACPI tables are dropped. If you rely on DMAR not being present, add "dart=0" to your boot arguments.

Turn off the automatic P-/C-state generation.

Use PikeR's script with these options: "./ssdtPRGen.sh -c 1 -d 3 -w 2 -x 1". (If you have some overclock, add "-turbo <maxfrequency>".)

This way you enable the new xcpm mode, which requires workaround variant 2 to eliminates some warnings, when using Ivy Bridge.

Latest iMac SMBIOSes should work fine, recently I switched to MacPro6,1 and it works with it, too.

I don't know much about pjalm's patches, just make sure they do not change anything CPU related.

This works fine with an Ivy Core-i5 3570k.

EDIT:

Get the newest script version from here.

Edited by k3nny

Tried ./ssdtPRGen.sh -c 1 -d 3 -w 2 -x 1 - still didn't work.   Using anything other than -w 3 just locks it at state 8 - 800mhz.  

Tried various other things, most of which I am sure I have already tried, and still the only states I can get are 16/37/38/39.

I still can't get 35 and 36 - and 35 is the main CPU frequency.  Doesn't make sense.  I could understand it jumping from 16 to 35 with no states in between, but to skip 35 and 36 is weird.

Like I said, I have tried every combination of settings and files and still it doesn't work.  I am going to have a fiddle in BIOS, but I have already had a quick look and there are no settings that stand out to that look like getting it working.

CoBrA2168: I have seen the guide you have posted (Ultrazone's) and seen the F16 mod 11 BIOS mentioned before.  Is it safe using BIOS's that have been customised by 3rd parties?  What advantages does using that BIOS have over me using Gigabytes stock F14 BIOS?

I don't have an issue with flashing a BIOS, I have done it a few times.  I have never used a custom BIOS though, nor have I had to 'recover' from a failed flash.  Though, the Z77X-UD5H has dual BIOS, so I can easily load from the second BIOS and then reflash the first BIOS?

Maybe using the modded BIOS would solve my issue?  Intriguing :)

I hate to post the next message after my own post; I admit this is partly a bit of a bump to try and drum up more support, and partly an update.

In a last ditch attempt to try and get some more P-States to work, I flashed my BIOS to F16 mod11.  In truth I didn't think it would make a blind bit of a difference, but desperation got the better of me.

To summarise what I have tried, and the current state of my system:

System Status:

• Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Rev 1.0 flashed with F16 mod 11 BIOS.
  • CPU: Intel 3770k @ stock speed of 3.50GHz and turbo settings at auto/default.  With current settings, only able to get P-States of 16/37/38/39
  • SMBios: iMac 13,2 
  • DSDT: I am using a DSDT which I created by extracting from a non-auto-patched-by-Clover DSDT.  I then loaded pjalms Z77X-UD5H motherboard patch.
  • SSDT: I am using PikerAlpha's ssdtPRgen script - using -w 3 -x 0 as the arguments.  Note: using anything other than -w 3 results in a locked P-State 8 (800mhz).  I have DropOEM SSDT selected in Clover Configurator.

Other Info:

• I have tried using Macmini6,2 for SMBios, but it fails to load the desktop.
  • Boot arguments are:  darkwake=0  slide=0  dart=0  kext-dev-mode=1  debug=0x100

I have attached my Clover Config, Boot Log, DSDT and SSDT for anyone who has the time to have a look and see if they can see anything that would be the reason that I cannot achieve any other P-States other than 16/37/38/39.

Thanks

bootlog.log.txt

clover-config.txt

DSDT SSDT.zip

Then try without 'em. I suggest you to use Kext Wizard. 

1-Open Kext Wizard.

2-Click Info tab.

3-Drag the kext on to the Kext Wizard window.

4-Load the kext.

If it successfully initiates speedstep, CPU freqs should change in response to work load. You can check CPU speed with this terminal command:

sysctl hw.cpufrequency 

You're using Pikes SSDDTPregen,

In bios set :Turbo "Enable" and set turbo boost values by there actual numerical value not "Auto". Disable C6/C7 and C1E. Also Use -x 1 to generate SSDT by Pike. and set -xcpm in boot args.

Give this a try.... 

You're using Pikes SSDDTPregen,

In bios set :Turbo "Enable" and set turbo boost values by there actual numerical value not "Auto". Disable C6/C7 and C1E. Also Use -x 1 to generate SSDT by Pike. and set -xcpm in boot args.

Give this a try....

Will give this a try to see what happens, but I did try something similar a few days ago using xcpm; it seemed to work and give me extra pstates but also cause kernel panics when USB hdds were connected.

Cheers

Hi,

Ok, I have setup as you suggested.

• BIOS: Disabled C3/C6 support
  • BIOS: Disabled Enhanced Halt C1E
  • BIOS: Set CPU turbo ratios: 1 Core: 39 | 2 Core: 39 | 3 Core: 38 | 4 Core: 37
  • Clover: Enabled -xcpm boot flag argument
  • SSDT:  Generated a new SSDT using ssdhPRgen with arguments: -w 3 -x 1

I am still in the testing phase but what I can tell you so far:

• I now have more P-States: 08/11/2014 13:13:39.000 kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 25 30 35 37 38 39 
  • Some snippets from Console that I believe may be relevant:
    • ​08/11/2014 13:06:35.000 kernel[0]: ACPI: sleep states S3 S4 S5
    • 08/11/2014 13:06:35.000 kernel[0]: XCPM: registered
    • 08/11/2014 13:06:35.000 kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform
    • 08/11/2014 13:06:35.000 kernel[0]: IOPPF: XCPM mode
    • 08/11/2014 13:06:35.000 kernel[0]: XCPM: P-state table mismatch (error:0x12)
    • 08/11/2014 13:06:35.000 kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::sendPStates - pmCPUControl (SETPSTATETABLE) returned 0x12
    • 08/11/2014 13:06:35.000 kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::start - Failed to send PStates
    • 08/11/2014 13:06:35.000 kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::start - Failed to send stepper
    • 08/11/2014 13:06:38.000 kernel[0]: BUG in process suhelperd[303]: over-released legacy external boost assertions (1 total, 1 external, 0 legacy-external)  (Note:  this entry is spawned dozens of times in the space of a second)
  • I was having a quick Google for xcpm related topics, I found someone commenting that Time Machine may be affected using xcpm.  I just successfully completed a back up. 
  • USB seems to be stable - boots up with the drives connected and can plug drives in while booted without KP (could not do this first time I tried using xcpm).
  • Sleep/Wake appears to work.

A question though: If I have disabled C3/C6 support and Enhanced Halt C1E in the BIOS, does that not mean my Windows install will suffer?  Can Windows function without these enabled?

Thanks for any help.

===================

UPDATE #1

===================

I have done a few consecutive reboots and there is an intermittent problem.  The system will always get to the Clover bootloader, but then will randomly KP.  I can boot the system around 25% of the time, and when it does boot the OS it does seem stable. Other than that I get KP's with the code below.  I will look into this myself using Google, but advice from you guys would be appreciated.

Anonymous UUID:       AB0F39C3-866F-83AA-93A3-2D140EDB7CED

Sat Nov  8 13:31:11 2014

*** Panic Report ***
Panic(CPU 0): Unresponsive processor (this CPU did not acknowledge interrupts) TLB state:0x0
RAX: 0xffffff8023f2b950, RBX: 0xffffff8000adfd48, RCX: 0xffffff8000a951d0, RDX: 0x0000002500000000
RSP: 0xffffff81c34b3be0, RBP: 0xffffff81c34b3c00, RSI: 0x000000260483da26, RDI: 0xffffff8000adfd48
R8:  0x000000040214b000, R9:  0x00000000000001ed, R10: 0x0000000007fc0d16, R11: 0x00000000f8b7d003
R12: 0x0000000000000000, R13: 0x00000000000001ff, R14: 0xffffff8000adfd48, R15: 0xffff7f81a2d4b000
RFL: 0x0000000000000086, RIP: 0xffffff8000411e68, CS:  0x0000000000000008, SS:  0x0000000000000000
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address
0xffffff81c34a0f60 : 0xffffff80004251a6 
0xffffff81c34a0f80 : 0xffffff800041dd08 
0xffffff81c34a0fd0 : 0xffffff800043a609 
0xffffff81c34b3c00 : 0xffffff8000403f38 
0xffffff81c34b3d70 : 0xffffff80003a81b7 
0xffffff81c34b3e40 : 0xffffff8000342f2d 
0xffffff81c34b3e70 : 0xffffff8000395fd4 
0xffffff81c34b3ee0 : 0xffffff80003ca014 
0xffffff81c34b3fb0 : 0xffffff80004192c7 

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task
Boot args: slide=0 dart=0 -xcpm darkwake=0 kext-dev-mode=1 debug=0x100 

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 14.0.0: Fri Sep 19 00:26:44 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2782.1.97~2/RELEASE_X86_64
Kernel UUID: 89E10306-BC78-3A3B-955C-7C4922577E61
__HIB  text base: 0xffffff8000100000
System model name: iMac13,2 (Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 5000108344
last loaded kext at 811633469: com.apple.driver.AppleFileSystemDriver	3.0.1 (addr 0xffffff7f8264a000, size 16384)
loaded kexts:
at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch	4216
com.insanelymac.AtherosL1cEthernet	1.2.3
org.hwsensors.driver.LPCSensors	1328
org.hwsensors.driver.GPUSensors	1328
org.hwsensors.driver.CPUSensors	1328
org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC	1328
com.apple.driver.AppleFileSystemDriver	3.0.1
com.apple.driver.XsanFilter	404
com.apple.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTypeDataless	1.0.0d1
com.apple.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib	1.0.0d1
com.apple.BootCache	35
com.apple.driver.AppleFWOHCI	5.5.2
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage	2.6.5
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub	705.4.1
com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort	3.0.7
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI	705.4.14
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBXHCI	705.4.14
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIButtons	3.1
com.apple.driver.AppleRTC	2.0
com.apple.driver.AppleHPET	1.8
com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS	2.1
com.apple.driver.AppleAPIC	1.7
com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall	161
com.apple.security.quarantine	3
com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet	8
com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily	4.5.6
com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily	3.2
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily	2.7.0
com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily	705.4.14
com.apple.driver.AppleEFINVRAM	2.0
com.apple.driver.AppleEFIRuntime	2.0
com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily	2.0.0
com.apple.security.sandbox	300.0
com.apple.kext.AppleMatch	1.0.0d1
com.apple.driver.AppleKeyStore	2
com.apple.driver.AppleMobileFileIntegrity	1.0.5
com.apple.driver.AppleCredentialManager	1.0
com.apple.driver.DiskImages	389.1
com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily	2.0
com.apple.iokit.IOReportFamily	31
com.apple.driver.AppleFDEKeyStore	28.30
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform	3.1
com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily	2.9
com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily	1.4
com.apple.kec.Libm	1
com.apple.kec.pthread	1
com.apple.kec.corecrypto	1.0
panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff80003ff683): "TLB invalidation IPI timeout: " "CPU(s) failed to respond to interrupts, unresponsive CPU bitmap: 0x1, NMIPI acks: orig: 0x0, now: 0x1"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-2782.1.97/osfmk/x86_64/pmap.c:2471
Backtrace (CPU 4), Frame : Return Address
0xffffff81ed92baa0 : 0xffffff800033a811 
0xffffff81ed92bb20 : 0xffffff80003ff683 
0xffffff81ed92bbb0 : 0xffffff80003ffd56 
0xffffff81ed92bc30 : 0xffffff80003ac67e 
0xffffff81ed92bc90 : 0xffffff800086dd8e 
0xffffff81ed92bce0 : 0xffffff800086d751 
0xffffff81ed92bd80 : 0xffffff800086bee4 
0xffffff81ed92bde0 : 0xffffff800086bec7 
0xffffff81ed92be40 : 0xffffff8000869a42 
0xffffff81ed92be90 : 0xffffff80008d0ac0 
0xffffff81ed92beb0 : 0xffffff80008b4ca9 
0xffffff81ed92bf30 : 0xffffff80008b01f3 
0xffffff81ed92bf70 : 0xffffff80008b5f83 
0xffffff81ed92bfb0 : 0xffffff80004192c7 

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task
Model: iMac13,2, BootROM IM131.010A.B05, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 3.50 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 2.11f14
Graphics: EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+, EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+, PCIe, 512 MB
Memory Module: BANK0/DIMM1, 8 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, Corsair, CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10
Memory Module: BANK1/DIMM1, 8 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, Corsair, CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10
Bluetooth: Version 4.3.0f10 14890, 3 services, 27 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Ethernet, Ethernet, en0
PCI Card: Intel 7 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller, USB Controller, Built In
PCI Card: Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Controller, Ethernet Controller, Built In
PCI Card: Intel 7 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2, USB Controller, Built In
PCI Card: Realtek ALC898 Audio Controller, Audio Controller, Built In
PCI Card: Intel 7 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1, USB Controller, Built In
PCI Card: Intel 7 Series Chipset Family SATA Controller, AHCI Controller, Built In
PCI Card: Marvell 88SE9172 SATA Controller, AHCI Controller, Built In
PCI Card: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet, Ethernet, Ethernet
PCI Card: pci1106,3044, IEEE 1394 Open HCI, Firewire@5,1,0
Serial ATA Device: M4-CT128M4SSD2, 128.04 GB
Serial ATA Device: SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series, 128.04 GB
Serial ATA Device: WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0, 2 TB
Serial ATA Device: WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0, 3 TB
Serial ATA Device: SONY    DVD RW DRU-V200S
Serial ATA Device: Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1, 256.06 GB
USB Device: 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub
USB Device: Expansion Desk
USB Device: Expansion Desk
USB Device: 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub
USB Device: Hub
USB Device: USB2.0 Hub
USB Device: USB Receiver
USB Device: Ultra Fast Media Reader
USB Device: BCM2046B1
USB Device: BLUETOOTH USB +EDR ADAPTER v2.1 UHE
USB Device: Composite Device
USB Device: Composite Device
Thunderbolt Bus: 

• 08/11/2014 13:06:35.000 kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::sendPStates - pmCPUControl (SETPSTATETABLE) returned 0x12

08/11/2014 13:06:35.000 kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::start - Failed to send PStates

08/11/2014 13:06:35.000 kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::start - Failed to send stepper

See here: ^

Your ssdt generated by pikes script is not configured correctly.

Here^:Good new is power management is registered correctly.

BUG in process suhelperd[303]: over-released legacy external boost assertions (1 total, 1 external, 0 legacy-external).

Here^: this happens on real Mac. Still a bug in 10.10 for now.

Try setting RTC patch in clover and IRQ fix. But If it were me I would use real bios not "mod". As most of those are windows based changes,. Just a suggestion.....

Windows will still Perform properly with those settings....

Edit: try changing -w 3 when generating ssdt. start at top 0,1,2. I think this may be you stepper issue.....

• 08/11/2014 13:06:35.000 kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::start - Failed to send PStates
  • 08/11/2014 13:06:35.000 kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::start - Failed to send stepper

See here: ^

Your ssdt generated by pikes script is not configured correctly.

Here^:Good new is power management is registered correctly.

BUG in process suhelperd[303]: over-released legacy external boost assertions (1 total, 1 external, 0 legacy-external).

Here^: this happens on real Mac. Still a bug in 10.10 for now.

Try setting RTC patch in clover and IRQ fix. But If it were me I would use real bios not "mod". As most of those are windows based changes,. Just a suggestion.....

Windows will still Perform properly with those settings....

Hi Cobra,

Using -w 2 -x 1 for pikes got rid of most of the errors, but I was still left with X86PlatformShim::start - Failed to send stepper

When you say setting the RTC patch and IRQ fix... you believe this may solve the random boot failures?

Just to be clear, with whatever SSDT I have been experimenting with in xcpm mode, boot has always failed 75% of the time with the panic as detailed in my post.  Are you saying RTC + IRQ fix may solve this?

Thanks

EDIT:  Clover is already set to patch Apple RTC - if that is what you're talking about.  How what about the IRQ, where would one find a fix for that?

If you go to IOReg, how many P and C state are registered?  You might have correct speedstep and not even know it.

See the screenshot.  Does that make any sense to you?

Just to be clear, the only states that are registering on MSRDumper, iStat Menus and AICPUPMI are 16/37/38/39.

Thanks.

post-526553-0-94802500-1415582185_thumb.png

The best thing to do is probably to experiment with different SMBIOS settings. For instance, Clover automatically picks up MBA6,2 for my laptop fitted with Haswell i5 4300M 2.6GHz CPU (boost up to 3.2/3.3GHz). With generated SSDT + P&C states generation set to off in config.plist, I get multipliers 8 (LFM), 26 (HFM), 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 (Turbo modes). 

If I simply switch SMBIOS to MBP11,1 (without further changes), I get extra intermediary multiplier 17. So, I think it pays to play around with different SMBIOS profiles for any given CPU family.

Hi Herve,

Thanks for the advice.  I have actually tried most SMBios options already.  None of them have every given me anything other than 16, 37,38,39.  The only exception was when I tried using XCPM, which gave me 20, 25 and 30 as well I think it was. 

I am not sweating it as much now.  The way I see it, I have 16, a nice state to idle at, saving power and not wasting CPU life, but also have the full turbo power of the CPU when I need it.  I will continue to try out suggestions that are offered, but I think I am not all out hunting for these extra states. 

Thanks