MSI P67A-GD55(B3) - 10.10.4 - SUCCESS!

themacmeister

19 posts in this topic

UPDATE: Redid 10.10.4 install with latest Install OS X Yosemite app... USB made with a tonymac tool.

Installed clover to ESP with PBR boot (1st PBR option in Clover installer) to support existing legacy Win7-64bit.

All working except Sleep (never use it) and USB3.0 can be temperamental due to Firewire/IRQ issue (solvable via DSDT patch).

When I get the time, I will be creating and patching my own DSDT with the Firewire/IRQ fix, which will fix GenericUSBXHCI issue.

Using NVIDIA web drivers, but regular drivers work fine too... I have SpeedStep working up to max turbo, Graphics PM working too OOTB (thanks to NVIDIA web drivers I think). Altogether, a raging success. Managed to shoe-horn the 1TB HDD into my case, and use up ALL my 6 SATA ports (2xSATA3.0, 4xSATA2.0)... phew, not bad.

5LMw4pX.jpg

I just did a fresh install (upgrade did NOT go well -- too many tweaks for Mavericks ruined it).

I now have Chameleon 4.0 booting everything off the hard drive.

SpeedStep working with GenerateCPUStates (P&C), but still require NullCPUPM kext to boot (otherwise stepping errors occur).

I have a newly created SSDT, but I am afraid if it doesn't work, I'll never be able to fix it :-/

Only just started this, but I am going to call this 90% successful off the bat. I have NVIDIA GTX 660 working with NVIDIA drivers (web drivers), keyboard, mouse, still have USB errors (might try USBBusFix, although it is not mentioned anywhere for Yosemite).

It will certainly work if I disable USB Legacy mode in BIOS, but then I cannot dual boot :(

More news as it comes to hand.

OK, I now know that kext-dev-mode=1 is an absolute necessity in Yosemite (AppleHDA patched is not signed).

I had a lot of kernel errors on startup, and I may switch to Clover shortly (for working nvRAM etc). Sleep works now with USBBusFix. Sound takes about a minute to return with a lot of mucking about.

I don't use Sleep, so this should not be an issue. I don't know if it is AppleHDA patched, or VoodooHDA doing my sound, as I somehow managed to install BOTH!!! I'm sure it is AppleHDA as I do not get HDMI Audio like I do with VoodooHDA.

Easy way to boot on errors is use -f boot flag at startup. That usually gets you to the desktop.

Still testing. Will try latest version of Vox now.

Tested some wineskin ports, and they all worked without fixing (hooray!)

More news soon

Without FileNVRam, I sometimes have to re-enter kext-dev-mode=1 manually, but this has only happened once.

Sound is working without VoodooHDA, so that may have contributed to the problem.

Vox working fine, latest version direct-downloaded.

All tested software working to this point. More tests to do. Installing Little Snitch later tonight!

Machine has not been put online, so have not tested App Store, iTunes Store etc. I will be testing this later in the week.

OK. patched BIOS (from 10.9.x days) and patched AICPUPM kext (via latest dev script) now working beautifully... Full speedstep with Turbo working. (will retest turbo modes tonight - but pretty sure it is all sweet - script mentioned the 4 turbo states while creating SSDT).

USB 2.0/3.0 tested and working.

NVIDIA GTX 660 - working fine, I use web drivers, as doesn't appear to work (black screen/grey screen) with Apple drivers.

OpenGL - working fine.

CUDA - not working with web drivers, new update released but since machine is offline cannot install, will search for an updated version on NVIDIA eventually.

Sound - working fine without sleep.

more news soon

CUDA now working with latest cuda installer and Apple drivers (yes, video now working with Apple drivers!)

I have a more recent web drivers package, which will probably also work with CUDA...maybe

Gish is not working, but I hear bug reports that it did not work with mountain lion/mavericks either... white screen issue. I am hoping a fix will be released soon. I am using Wineskin to run the PC version with keyboard controls, but it is not the same.

XBOX 360 Controller driver is also updated to prerelease for Yosemite :-)

More news soon.

I followed your other thread on Mavericks a while back but I never had the time to go through with it. I'm on Yosemite now and it seems to be working more or less thanks to the information I found in your thread.

Specs

MB: MSI P67A-GD55

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.5 GHz

GPU: GTX 560 Ti

RAM: 8 GB 1333 MHz

HDD: 2 x 1TB WD

Kexts
FakeSMC 6.11.1328

Realtek8111 for Ethernet

GenericUSBXHCI v1.2.8d9 by RehabMan for USB 3.0

VoodooHDA v2.8.2d6 for audio. I don't use HDMI so don't know if it works.

Config
Chameleon v2.2 r2401
UEFI patch for PM
SMBIOS 12,1
USBBusFix=Yes
EthernetBuiltIn=Yes
kext-dev-mode=1
GraphicsEnabler=Yes

I tried GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates. I also tried SSDT generated by ssdtPRGen but I can’t get more than two P-States - 16 and 34.
I’ve tried patching AICPUPM and different a few SMBios versions but it hasn’t helped either. How did you get SpeedStep to work?

Also what are you using for USB 3? USB 3.0 is flaky for me with GenericUSBXHCI. Sometimes the device won’t be detected. Other times it’ll be detected as USB 2.0

Thanks. Your thread has been of great help.

Update:

Never mind about the power management. I managed to fix the power management issue with SMBios Macbook Pro 8,1. I get 6 P-States now.

I found out that the processor definitions for this board are in the original SSDT file and not the DSDT. And the p-states are defined in the DSDT file. I found a patched DSDT for the GD65 version in this thread. Both boards have almost entirely the same DSDT so I used it as reference to patch my DSDT.

GPU power management doesn't work, but I've discovered that it is because I'm using two monitors. AGPM edit works perfectly with one display but the gpu frequency gets stuck on max when using two displays.

I sent you a private message. I could never get settings to "stick" under Yosemite. Constantly had to type in nvda_drv=1 or whatever. Kext caches never worked, and no NVRAM support. I tried (unsuccessfully) to install latest Clover, but my computer no longer booted Mac OS X :(

Reverted to backed up Mavericks 10.9.5, and I'm happy with that for the time being.

I will attempt 10.10 again in a few months.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got power management, sleep, audio, etc, working fine. Only minor issues with USB. I found out that I didn't need any of the DSDT edits.

For power management I needed to edit ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext. I was getting best results with MacBookPro8,1 SMBios. So I deleted StepDataDict from /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/iMac12_2.plist and added the StepContextDict from MacBookPro8_1.plist to it. I get 6 P-states when overclocked and 9 on stock speeds with turbo enabled. Turbo doesn't work when overclocked.

Audio works fine with VoodooHDA 2.8.6. I tried patched AppleHDA but it wouldn't work right after sleep. I was getting a static noise with Voodoo. Had to edit the kext to set input gain to 0.

But the GPU is giving me a headache. I've tried the stock drivers, nvidia web drivers, AGPM edits, freezefix app, various SMBIOS versions in several different combinations. But it always ends up freezing. With freezefix.app running it'll work fine for a day or two but it'll eventually happen. I get the NVDA Channel Exception errors.

I have a dual monitor setup on my GTX 560Ti, and AGPM does not work when the second monitors is connected. It works fine with a single monitor.

I'm trying out MacPro 5,1 smbios with nvidia drivers and freezefix.app right now. It's been running fine for a day but I'm expecting it to freeze any time now.

• 2 weeks later...

MSI P67A-GD55(B3) is not a LAPTOP, please stop pretending it is a LAPTOP!!!

Correct BIOS paching, and SSDT creation with the latest script will get working CPU power management on that board.

Correct editing of 560ti device id in AGPM under the correct heading will give you (hopefully) working Graphics power management.

I am using a 660, so cannot comment on the 560ti. I used to have the 560oc, and that worked very well - cannot comment on AGPM, as I don't think I was bothered with it at that time.

I never encountered a freeze, and apart from using the latest web drivers for 10.10 and having to type in nvda_drv=1 every starup, the machine seemed to run perfectly (without AGPM).

My setup was very similar to 10.9.x, except with updated kexts for 10.10. You would be wise to try from a fresh install, but I recommend sticking with 10.9.5 for a few months until things settle down.

• 1 month later...

APOLOGIES!

After switching my own setup to a 2600k Core-i7, none of my previous settings worked :(

I had to switch to the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I had (and did NOT work on the 2500).

Upgraded to latest UEFI BIOS. re-patched BIOS for PM, now booting with:

GenerateCStates=Yes GeneratePStates=Yes DropSSDT=Yes

All other steps taken (including installing the patched SSDT, although this is almost certainly skipped entirely.

Without these changes, VIDEO DOES NOT WORK, and NEVER WILL

AGAIN, SORRY FOR BEING SO OUTSPOKEN. I was SURELY WRONG on this issue. I'm sorry.

themacmeister

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip on updating the BIOS.

It seems to have solved my problem. I did have one instance of the NVDA Channel Timeout error while using VirtualBox but it is a massive improvement. Previously, I'd get one every day or so even with freezefix. I don't need freezefix now.

Just had one issue after updating the BIOS. Wake after sleep would not work. Turns out the bios was at fault. I found a way to patch this. I wrote about it in some other thread. Anyway, everything pretty much works now.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the tip on updating the BIOS.

It seems to have solved my problem. I did have one instance of the NVDA Channel Timeout error while using VirtualBox but it is a massive improvement. Previously, I'd get one every day or so even with freezefix. I don't need freezefix now.

Just had one issue after updating the BIOS. Wake after sleep would not work. Turns out the bios was at fault. I found a way to patch this. I wrote about it in some other thread. Anyway, everything pretty much works now.

Can you find that post about getting Sleep to work, it has never worked properly for me...?!

• 2 months later...

SUCCESS!!!

Created the USB installer disk.

Installed the bootloader too.

Updated to 10.10.4

WORKING:

Full graphics QE/CI/GL on 2GB GTX 660, with GraphicsEnabler=Yes nvda_drv=1 PCIRoot=0 PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000 etc. Connected via DVI->DVI

USB 2.0 and 3.0 (USB 3.0 sometimes require swapping a few times back and forth on front ports, but eventually it works. Always works if plugged in on boot!)

ALC892 audio = Patched AppleHDA kext, from 10.10.2 (on another kext download site).

Blu-Ray burner

USB Keyboard/Mouse (Dell)

Realtek RTL8111 Gigabit Ethernet working.

16GB DDR3 1333/1600 RAM (running @1333)

Intel CPU power management (with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext???) I will experiment with custom SSDT later tonight.

Graphics Power Management (SMBIOS set to iMac12,2 and full speed, and always reverts to idle speed)

NOT WORKING:

nvRAM (even with module + kext) -- had to lock org.chameleon.Boot.plist as it was losing options and reverting... gack!

Sleep/Wake - NO-DSDT setup, so no sleep/wake, never use it anyway, even on my real iMac :-)

Shutdown/Restart -- long pauses before it works (20sec to 45secs) :-(

I can live without these things being perfect, although the 30 secs before restart is a pain. I will try and fix SSDT for true SpeedStep, and make custom DSDT when I get around to it.

More news as it happens...

NOTE: Not using USBBusFix at present, might give that a try later on. I think I have working Firewire (400), but no way of testing it. EvoReboot did not seem to make a difference with restart/shutdown times :-(

NOTE 2: Not using UEFI for Windows or OS X. I have that ability in the future, but need to install UEFI Win7 first (as I hate mixing UEFI/Legacy boots). I have in the past had UEFI booting both Win7 64 bit, and Yosemite -- but I messed something up accidentally, and needed to revert, the fastest way was Legacy, and also my SPDIF output does not work under UEFI Win 7 dual-boot (it is a problem with many ALC892 chipsets with UEFI --> ie: no audio). The fix is released for Win8/10, but not Win7 :-(

App Store working fine, reinstalled iLife/iWork without a hitch.

Re-downloading latest Mavericks and Yosemite installer apps.

More to do, but working great at the moment, running cool (and not so quiet thanks to water cooling).

NOTE TO SELF: Buy more CR32 BIOS batteries, don't try recycling them from OLD OLD found motherboards...

• 2 weeks later...

NOTE: Now booting Clover from ESP using PBR (1st option) to boot. Some duplicate drives show up in Clover, but only about 2 too many. I have hidden the other drives to make it more manageable. Working great with 5 HDD + Blu-Ray Burner :-)

Still no sleep, but that is not a deal-breaker.

Have not tried anything but iMac12,2 for SMBIOS. 30sec wait on restart/shutdown :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Clover failed miserably on my other PC (but Chimera continued to work), so I manually deleted all of EFI volume (newfs_hfs) and deleted all boot files, and reinstalled Chimera. Working again - phew! Would hate that to happen to my P67A, so took the decision to go back to Chimera on the P67A as well. Working nicely now.